Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
2381 - 2400 of 2442 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Well, did try it. It worked better than I expected. One of my monitors is an oldish 32" TV connected by HDMI. On Linux Mint, I can't use that one due to overscan and the fact that there's nothing in the GUI to adjust that.

The Chrome OS Flex does have a GUI tool to fix that so that was a pleasant surprise. The Wifi and bluetooth worked fine but I was annoyed by certain things. I didn't really see any way to play music without messing around with adding extra Linux stuff to it. Which is exactly what I wanted to avoid. I don't know why it doesn't just have the Play Store. That's kinda dumb. Extremely limited without that. I'm sure there's a fiddly workaround but that's what's been keeping me on Windows all these years. I don't like fiddly workarounds. I like stuff that is easy and doesn't hurt my brain. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts

This is what I've been waiting for. I know you can take a random Linux distro and put Chrome browser on it but then you're relying on the people who maintain that distro to not screw anything up. But I like the idea of ditching Windows. Or at the very least, have a backup plan when I'm finally fed up with Microsoft and can't take it anymore.

Not sure if I want to try it or not. There are some things about my PC that don't mesh very well with Linux.
Well, I'm gonna try it. I have a spare 32 gig flash drive and am downloading the image. The only issue I see with it is that it looks like it's probably at least a gigabyte file and my internet is slow.

These things usually don't turn out well. I kinda wish I had a junky laptop to put it on but I don't. My laptop has W8 on it and I'm not gonna mess it up because it's the only one I have and I might need it sometime.

I don't see how some people live with just a laptop. I hate the whole experience of a laptop. But I especially hate the cramped keyboard.
Well, did try it. It worked better than I expected. One of my monitors is an oldish 32" TV connected by HDMI. On Linux Mint, I can't use that one due to overscan and the fact that there's nothing in the GUI to adjust that.

The Chrome OS Flex does have a GUI tool to fix that so that was a pleasant surprise. The Wifi and bluetooth worked fine but I was annoyed by certain things. I didn't really see any way to play music without messing around with adding extra Linux stuff to it. Which is exactly what I wanted to avoid. I don't know why it doesn't just have the Play Store. That's kinda dumb. Extremely limited without that. I'm sure there's a fiddly workaround but that's what's been keeping me on Windows all these years. I don't like fiddly workarounds. I like stuff that is easy and doesn't hurt my brain. :LOL:

Well, I played around with it some more yesterday and it's a bit better than I was thinking. It does have an integrated utility for playing videos without installing anything or messing around with Linux. I was also able to find a music player app that installs through Chrome browser.

I still haven't installed it anywhere so it's fully on a flash drive. The only issue that remains is the colors are pretty oversaturated and my monitor does not have a saturation control. There's nothing built into Chrome OS to turn the color saturation down. There is a slider that is supposed to adjust the brightness but It. Just. Doesn't. Do. Anything. Fortunately, the brightness is about right.

So it's kinda ugly but everything works. It is a viable, simple alternative to Windows if you don't need to install anything that requires Windows. It still has a few of the irritating limitations of Linux underneath (like not being able to adjust the scroll speed).

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
8,568 Posts
@WillYouStopDave I have to agree with that guy, I don't like overly large displays myself because I find that I have to constantly look around the screen rather than having it all right there, in my field of view. I remember hooking my computer up to a 50" TV thinking it was going to be amazing, but it was kind of annoying if anything. At the time I was playing WoW, and to see my health I would have to shift my focus to the upper left of the screen, to see the time to the upper right, the only way it would work out right is if I were to move further away from the screen so it was all in my field of view.

The problem with that is simply perspective. For example, where I am sitting at now at about twelve feet away, my 50" screen appears to be actually about 3" in length, by comparison my 7" phone appears to have a larger screen about two feet from my face. When I had the computer hooked up to the screen, I was sitting much closer so it looked huge!😲 Whereas for my VR goggles, the screens are tiny but take up most of my field of view, it is pretty cool actually - especially within the confines of a couple of video screens probably about an inch or two each, I can have the perspective of being in a full sized movie theater, complete with rows of seating, and it feels as though it were nearly real, for that matter I have a full classic arcade with a multitude of retro arcade cabinets that are playable, that I like to wander around and play in (my arcade rivals the ones we would go to in the 80s or 90s🙃 - only it is in a virtual world.

I used to dream of having a huge screen, but was quickly disappointed. From the distance I am positioned from my 17" laptop display, it is good , although I do think a 21" display would be my sweet spot.

As a side note, my brother got a huge TV recently, but he sits so far from it that it still looks small. I remember as a kid we would actually sit closer to the TV, and 32" was considered huge back then. From my memory, most of the houses had a setup so the furniture would be closer to the TV compared to now. Which makes sense, I can just imagine having a 24" TV set 12' from me, there would probably be a lot of squinting involved, especially when I have closed captions on 🤣

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
@zonebox

Yeah. Back then a 27" TV could easily weigh over a hundred pounds so anything that was on the big side was more than just mortgage your house to buy a TV. It was also risking breaking your back to move it an inch in any direction. I remember I was considering buying a 32 inch widescreen tube TV when we were in that weird transition period where tubes were still being made but it was pretty obvious that panels were eventually going to take over.

I'm glad I didn't buy that thing. It was expensive and I'm sure it was very heavy.

I'm not a gamer so I don't really have a problem with VGA. I use a VGA monitor most of the time. Hell, actually, my VGA display is worse than it needs to be because it's connected to a 50 foot VGA cable, which causes some smearing (isn't terribly noticeable unless you're looking for it). It's worth it though to be able to lay on my bed and have a monitor right there.

So yeah. The monitor I have been using for years is an ancient Samsung VGA model that looks like this...

Even the aspect ratio doesn't really bother me. I've been thinking about even getting a signal booster so the artifacts aren't as bad.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
8,568 Posts
@WillYouStopDave I enjoy the 4:3 aspect ratio myself, my favorite resolution is 1028x768. I have an older VGA that is hooked up to my pi, and I also use it for my Amiga when I feel like pulling it out of the closet and having some fun. I believe it is a LED display, I used to have a CRT but it took up too much space.

Browsing the web at that resolution brings back a bit of nostalgia, especially when going through wiby.me and exploring a plethora of personal webpages. In fact, I have a few virtual desktops setup in windows, set to different resolutions. The desktop I currently have is set to 1028x768 - it is kind of fun to see everything in that perspective (yep, I'm full of excitement) The only problem on this monitor for my laptop is that to see things in that resolution, I get the vertical black bars as this laptop is a wide screen.

I have a pretty cool program called moonlight, which allows me to stream games from any device in my home. I was playing WoW from my Pi a few weeks ago, and it did pretty good on that old monitor, I had a lot of fun playing it from the different resolution. I also had some fun with Cyberpunk playing it from the older resolution. Some gamers love the older CRT monitors, even hooked up with VGA. They like the color they put out a lot more.

I used to have to haul those huge CRT TVs when working at a thrift store, they were so heavy. For a while, I had a huge Trinitron TV, I think it was 36", those things would bring my coworker and I dread whenever we had to move them into or out of houses. They were like 200lbs, they rarely sold either unless delivered to the homes - a lot of them would just be recycled later on. I got mine for free that way.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
@zonebox

The way all the weight was concentrated in the front of a CRT TV made them really awkward to move too. Like if you picked it up by yourself with the tube side facing your body, it just wanted to push you backwards.

Had a console TV once (which I actually liked because you could just sit the VCR/cable box/Nintendo on top of it and be done with it. Got it for free and the person who gave it even helped me move it. It was probably 20 years old when I acquired it and I got about 6 years out of it.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Dammit! My router just randomly lost power again. It happened a while back (I don't remember how long. I thought I made a post about it but I can't find it). The weird thing is when it does that, I can't get any power to it at all. If I unplug the adapter and plug it back in, nothing. No lights, no clicky sounds (it usually makes some kind of switching sounds when it's booting). Just nothing. I tried calling the ISP but couldn't get a person on the line. Just a robot telling me to reboot the gateway.

So this time, it was out and just wouldn't come back (last time it eventually did). So I finally started trying every adapter I could find that was close to the 12 volts and 3 amps it wants. I tore my room apart finding them and finally found one that was about 13.5 volts but not as many amps. That got the power lights to come on and blink but it would get stuck about halfway through the boot and just turn red.

But then I decided to try the original power adapter again and it worked. What gives?

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Keeping my spare PC running has proven to be an unexpected chore. It was a prebuilt and was hardly ever used before I swapped the CPU out onto an upgraded motherboard in an upgraded case. Later, I bought a higher end version of the same CPU for the newer system and put the old one back in the old system to keep as a spare.

Some things that went wrong...

1. Not long ago, I accidentally ripped the CPU out of the socket while it was still locked down due to the thermal paste being as sticky as glue and me being a big dummy and just pulling on the heatsink rather than working on it slowly. Bent many pins. Thought the CPU was done. Eventually straightened the pins and got the CPU back in the socket.

2. Bought a rather cheapo cooler because I knew it'd be quieter than the stock cooler. Which it is. Just not sure about it's cooling capacity.

3. Had an issue with the SSD where it would randomly become unreadable and the system would crash and then not boot. I eventually found out every single extra SATA cable I had was bad. I was thinking I was gonna have to replace the drive. So had to buy some new SATA cables.

4. Prebuilt case is a prebuilt case (from like 2012) and therefore is just terrible. Very little airflow. Many holes needed to be cut to add flow. PSA is a very old non-modular one so there's hardly anywhere for the extra cables because the case is small and terrible .

It's finally running about as well as it can without buying a new case, a new cooler and possibly a new motherboard. Which I'm not doing that for a 10+ years old CPU.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
So I bought a flash drive that has a hole for a lanyard but didn't come with a lanyard. :confused:

"Hey guys. I'll be back. I'm gonna go burn five dollars in gas to go look for some lanyards."

The worst thing is that it's not a no name product. It's a Sandisk drive. I bet probably 10 years ago it would have came with one. Seems lots of companies have been on autopilot for years.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Cool Goodwill trip today. Got a nice Logitech wireless keyboard (and the receiver wasn't missing). The mouse wasn't around but that's OK. I have a nice mouse. $5

Pretty decent 20" HP LCD monitor for $11. Has a minor scratch on the screen but works great and I can't see the scratch 99% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Cool Goodwill trip today. Got a nice Logitech wireless keyboard (and the receiver wasn't missing). The mouse wasn't around but that's OK. I have a nice mouse. $5

Pretty decent 20" HP LCD monitor for $11. Has a minor scratch on the screen but works great and I can't see the scratch 99% of the time.
Alas, I suppose the monitor will need to be stored away for a spare. It works fine but the viewing angles are just terrible and causes too much of the image to go black or have distracting brightness at any given time. Much worse than the old Samsung. So back to the old one. Still worth the 11 dollars to have a spare though. I could put up with the angle issue if I had to.

The keyboard is immaculate. It almost seems unused like someone bought it and didn't like it and just left it sitting. Not even the slightest sign of wear on the spacebar (which seems to be the first place it shows usually). Usually Goodwill just has 4 or 5 cheapo corded keyboards like the ones that come with prebuilt PCs so I was surprised to find this. People don't usually let go of wireless keyboards until they are worn out (I've never seen anything Logitech at that Goodwill before).

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Still hoping this will be good. It just might push be to get a next gen Xbox. Serious shades of No Man's Sky.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
So it looks like if it finally does get to the point to where I have no choice but to get Windows 11 (judging by the way MS has been acting the last few years they will likely try to force people to get it whether they like it or not), it looks like my perfectly functional old PC will finally have to be replaced. It seems it doesn't have the TPM 2.0 and my FM2+ APU also isn't supported. I'm really hating this trend where manufacturers and software companies have started to refuse to allow people to keep their old stuff running. Used to be you could just about install Windows on anything. I just bought this APU on Amazon brand new a few years ago.

At least it looks like I won't be forced to "upgrade" to Windows 11 until 2025. At which point, maybe I'll consider trying to build a new PC. I probably technically only need a CPU, a motherboard that fits my case and some RAM. My PSU should run for 20 years or more so as long as it plugs into the new motherboard, I wouldn't bother replacing it.

·
SAS Member
14,578 Posts
Still hoping this will be good. It just might push be to get a next gen Xbox. Serious shades of No Man's Sky.

Starfield looks alright, but quite clunky. Can't wait to see the mods that will come out for this though.

It's just a shame you wont be able to fight space dragons in your new starfighter. I don't think it could get more metal than that.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Why the hell do mobile apps update so often? And why are the updates so huge? I figured I'd just use my mobile data to update my apps since my home internet is still slower than molasses and I apparently screwed up and bought a plan that comes with plenty of mobile data but doesn't allow you to use your phone as a hotspot. So I gots data to spare. Still kinda seems painful to watch that much data burning on updates. Especially Facebook. Their stupid updates are always huge and I don't even use Facebook. I'd just disable it but I'm afraid it'll break something. I know where there's an open wifi I can sneak and use from time to time but I'm probably not supposed to.

·
Registered
Crawling out
400 Posts
Did anyone else play Free Realms as a kid?

Apparently someone was working on making a private server, but the project was abandoned or something.

I played a human brawler. I want to play it again so badly. So nostalgic.
Me! I remember a commercial for it airing on cartoon channels. I briefly tried it, back when I discovered MMOs and was hopping around different ones like crazy. I don't really remember what I was doing in the game to be honest. :unsure:

2381 - 2400 of 2442 Posts