Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
2321 - 2340 of 2345 Posts

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
8,027 Posts
@Rickets You are probably right. You think some of these companies would be the ones that create scripting tools for their customers to make mods with that can be used offline - it would actually give them more control over their platform as they would have the keys to what people can or can't modify. Plus, mods give the games an extended life.

Google has been a bit of a let down for a while now though, at least for me. I often like searching for obscure information and while it gets the job done, I remember it being less cluttered and easier to find the results I was looking for. When you include the fact that they keep track of what you are searching for, it starts to get annoying. I remember looking up information on multiple sclerosis, and then seeing ads on facebook for MS related medication. Same thing goes with looking up heart surgeries, I soon started to see more ads being tossed at me elsewhere - that really irks me. I guess a lot of the search patterns you use are later used filter through various search results for future queries you make, and for me it just doesn't work because I am often all over the place on the web. Of course, that just makes me paranoid - I wonder if insurance companies have access to that information and if at some point it will impact premiums, not to mention if we will eventually have a China style social credit system where we are assigned a score by our search patterns.. isn't that just lovely.

I actually installed a meta search engine on my raspberry pi that I sometimes use, but it can be slow plus it works best when running through google and while it is more anonymous it still the same results.

·
SAS Member
14,482 Posts
It makes me sad that gamers are slowly accepting broken games at launch with patches over patches that never really fix the broken stuff. A game should not be playable a year later, but at launch. Simple as that. The are a few examples of broken games becoming good like No man's lie but that game should have been good at launch, not more than a year later.

Games should be launched as bug free as possible and patches should be more content for players to enjoy.

I guess its like my friend used to say though. If you get used to being served stale bread, they will serve you stale bread.

·
Super Moderator
35,387 Posts
What a royal PITA that was! So I have two PCs. I have my main PC and a backup PC. The backup PC doesn't get used much but it still needs to work and exist because, well, backup PC.

Anyway, they both have the same processor type. The old style AMD FM2 APU. My main PC has a newer model that is better but the older one isn't bad. But the FM2 socket is one of those that has a zillion pins and you have to be careful not to bend them.

This morning, I got the bright idea to swap the cooler on the backup PC with a different one because I wasn't that happy with the temps. I have a habit of using too much thermal paste and when I went to remove the old cooler, it was stuck on there so tight that the pressure from trying to pull the cooler off the CPU ripped the pins right out of the socket without them having been released properly.

And I cringed as soon as that happened. It's happened before with my main PC but fortunately there were no bent pins the first time it happened.. This time? Once I wiggled it lose from the cooler and cleaned as much paste as I could off of it, I tried putting it back in the socket but (of course) found that it didn't fit.

So I knew there were bent pins but my eyesight is pretty bad. I could see some of them if I looked at them just the right way in just the right light at just the right angle. At that point, I was sure that APU was done and I'd never get it right again. Was already thinking that I should just order an equivalent used one from Amazon (you can sometimes get them pretty cheap).

But I messed around with it and got out magnifying glasses and tweezers and all sorts of things. The more I tried, the more I kept bending even more pins than were bent in the first place. Not only is my eyesight really bad but I do not have steady hands at all. So even when I could see what I was doing, I didn't really have the dexterity to try and straighten the pins.

Finally, after about two hours of fighting with it, I managed to get it back in the socket. Which honestly, I still figured it was probably not in there right or I had shorted some of the pins with thermal paste (supposedly some thermal paste is conductive).

Surprisingly, it booted right up and nothing seemed to be screwed up. I guess I just got really lucky. But wow. What a nightmare that was. I still kind of want to put a new cooler on it but I don't think it's really worth the hassle. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it died but a backup PC that works is always better than nothing.

So that PC is probably on it's 5th or so life. I bought it new from Wal-Mart in like 2012. I liked the APU so much I built a new PC with an FM2 motherboard and the same APU. Later, I bought another FM2 APU with much better specs and put the old APU back in it's original system. So an almost ten year old APU cheated death one more time.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I saw this today, and was pretty impressed with how human like the reactions were.

As a side note, I don't think I get the same feeling from the uncanny valley effect as others do when viewing various human like robots or even graphics, I have noticed how disturbed others are when they experience it so I'm curious how others perceive this robot and if it is still unsettling to them.

·
No hugging, no learning
813 Posts
I saw this today, and was pretty impressed with how human like the reactions were.

As a side note, I don't think I get the same feeling from the uncanny valley effect as others do when viewing various human like robots or even graphics, I have noticed how disturbed others are when they experience it so I'm curious how others perceive this robot and if it is still unsettling to them.
Way too creepy. Have we learnt nothing from Terminator?

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
GTA 5 online has been a lot of fun, I'm now at 173 hours in and expect that will go pretty far beyond. At this time, I am working toward getting an oppressor mk2, as to make my missions a bit easier - which required me to purchase a nightclub, then a terrorbyte. I have not spent much time playing with other people, and have found work arounds to getting to complete various things that require public lobbies to play and that has dramatically improved my experience with it all.

At this many hours I still feel like a noob, which is awesome. I like feeling new to a game, even after so much time spent in it.

·
Super Moderator
35,387 Posts
Been watching videos on prebuilt systems lately and I can't believe they're still as terrible as they ever were. Like anyone who wants a reasonably good computer almost doesn't have a choice. You basically have to learn to build a PC unless all you want is something to get you online and do the most basic things. But even then almost every prebuilt comes with a horribly obnoxious stock CPU cooler that probably makes more noise than it needs to for the amount of work it's doing.

And I guess especially now is probably not a good time for someone to realize they need to build a PC. Looks like everything is way harder and probably more expensive than it was before covid. I'm so glad I'm not a gamer. But even so, I built my basic internet PC to last. I didn't cheap out on the parts most likely to fail (MB, PSU and RAM). I didn't need a graphics card so I didn't buy one. Looks like anyone who needs a really good graphics card now is in deep doo doo.

I'm convinced my 2013 PC could probably go another 5-7 years if it needs to (assuming the drivers are still available).

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Been watching videos on prebuilt systems lately and I can't believe they're still as terrible as they ever were. Like anyone who wants a reasonably good computer almost doesn't have a choice. You basically have to learn to build a PC unless all you want is something to get you online and do the most basic things. But even then almost every prebuilt comes with a horribly obnoxious stock CPU cooler that probably makes more noise than it needs to for the amount of work it's doing.

And I guess especially now is probably not a good time for someone to realize they need to build a PC. Looks like everything is way harder and probably more expensive than it was before covid. I'm so glad I'm not a gamer. But even so, I built my basic internet PC to last. I didn't cheap out on the parts most likely to fail (MB, PSU and RAM). I didn't need a graphics card so I didn't buy one. Looks like anyone who needs a really good graphics card now is in deep doo doo.

I'm convinced my 2013 PC could probably go another 5-7 years if it needs to (assuming the drivers are still available).
Another option is to do what I did mid 2021, which is go to a site like Cyberpower - it offers prebuilt PCs but you can change/upgrade any component to something more decent - avoiding dodgy cooling/PSUs that are common in such machines. It's still a prebuilt but to your own specs. I would usually build my own PC but given the GPU shortages it was the easiest (but certainly not cheapest) way to upgrade.

Reactions: WillYouStopDave

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
@WillYouStopDave I miss having a desktop computer, unfortunately there just isn't enough room for me to setup an area for one without being away from the rest of my family. I think the thing I miss most about it is just being able to upgrade it so easily, especially when it comes to graphic cards. Plus I miss having my own area I could decorate, a nice chair to sit back in, space to put books on and a plate of food. I've been stuck using laptops for the past 12 years, my computing area is my couch with a roller desk 🤣 Most laptops don't offer the option to upgrade the video cards, or even the CPU which really sucks, and they only last me for about four years until gaming on them becomes difficult.

With that said, I am impressed with what my HP Omen has been able to keep up with despite it being a budget gaming laptop that is four years old (I think). I expect I will get another year or two out of it, before replacing it for something newer. I was surprised how well it ran Cyberpunk, it still plays all of the games I toss at it with having only a geforce 1050ti. The 17" of screen is perfect for me, I have connected it to my larger TV and find I don't like very large screens as I sit closer to them and have to move my eyes around a lot more 🤣

Putting together a desktop would probably be a lot cheaper in the long run, I miss browsing through newegg and looking up components. I used enjoy getting little upgrades for my PC and seeing the difference it made to it. Now I'm limited mostly to ram and storage. I do have this laptop up to 20gb of ram though, which is really nice.

Edit:
It is funny, I have a stack of old laptops in my closet. I keep them for some reason, even though I don't really use them. My first main laptop from 2008 that later replaced my desktop is still running, although the audio fizzled out when I boosted it. It has a 4:3 screen, a real cheap unit that can't even keep up with the Internet anymore. If it was a desktop, it probably would have the same case but almost every component replaced over time inside of it and I would probably still be using it.

·
SAS Member
4,594 Posts
Found this about Welcome to the N.H.K.

If you're even remotely of the slacker persuasion and you're the same age as Satou, seeing his [daydream] of him at 50 years old (fat, lonely, self-loathing, completely immersed in otaku culture, unable to function 'outside' and eventually homeless with no friends or family) is horrifying.
I first learned about the anime from people on here years ago, but
I finally ended up watching the entire first and second episodes last night and I might continue even though the animation isn't all too great wavers in quality at times.

·
Super Moderator
35,387 Posts
I just realized there's a reason why cars don't have transparent hoods.

My PC has never needed more than the most basic cable management because it just has a plain black case and no blinkin lights to highlight the fact that electricity does, in fact, run through wires (and you have to put them somewhere).

In all honestly, I really wish they'd have gone a different direction in PC building and focus more on functional changes that matter instead of things like fans that light up, RAM that lights up and blinking LEDs all over the place.

I'm happy if my fans work (and work well) and last a long time and don't make a lot of noise. I don't need to see them lit up like a space ship. In fact, I will often even cover up power LEDs because they annoy me. It can be a black box that sits quietly in a corner. I'm good with that.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
^ I think majority of the PC builder market are now gamers or gaming enthusiasts. And they are appealed strictly to the LEDs on everything single part features. So they design stuff centered more on what they think most of their market consumer want. I notice this when I will look up forums that have people show off their workstations and workspace arrangements, just about all of them have their desks and rooms riddled with ambient glowing lights of various RGB colors all around. I love the RGB stuff myself too, but nowhere to that extreme where it gives me a headache.

I remember when I thought video calls in shows like Pokemon were so cool and now we do it all the time with our smart phones. :LOL:
I remember having this as the ringtone when I first had skype on my phone.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
@WillYouStopDave I'm not really interested in excessive led lights either, I mean I think it can look cool but I like the more retro style theme when it comes to older computer cases.

Something like this looks amazing to me:

I just like the looks of old electronics, I think they look pretty neat. I even like the older CRT monitors that would sit next to them, and I miss that when I did have one I used to be able to put things on top of it like little figures, as well as a sticker here or there.

Also I'm okay with wires, wire management has never really been important to me, I think they add character to it all.

A bit messy, stuff tossed around it, a beat up mousepad, the stuffed animal waiting to jump out and attack me.. it looks like a fire hazard, I like it. I also am partial to wedge keyboard computer cases, I think I like that especially because of shadowrun and their cyberdecks. I think I'm just partial to gritty stuffs, messy and chaos adds a bit of character that I enjoy. The above picture is just missing a CRT monitor

I mean, I even like messy website design. The sterile environment where everything is easy to navigate, where creativity has been stifled and limited to a set of rules bothers me at times.. I would never make it in a home owners association 🙃

·
Super Moderator
35,387 Posts
@WillYouStopDave I'm not really interested in excessive led lights either, I mean I think it can look cool but I like the more retro style theme when it comes to older computer cases.

Something like this looks amazing to me:
Oh, I mean, I think that style of retro case is cool looking but I'd never want to use it as a daily driver. Actually the sight of the 2.5" floppy makes me a bit nostalgic until I think about how unreliable they actually were in everyday use.

I actually like a lot of the progress that's been made. For example, fans have come a long way in terms of being quiet and reliable. The first internet capable computer I had was very noisy and crashed constantly. Although I think that was probably due to my inexperience with Windows and just not knowing where to look for things that might be causing issues. I literally learned how to make Windows behave and keep crappy software off my system through the school of hard knocks. :LOL:

Anyway, I think they were on the right track with cases that were just black boxes with lots of mesh for ventilation. But then the side panel windows started to appear and now it has gotten so bad you almost can't buy a PC case that doesn't have windows in it.

I also don't like they have done away with drive bays entirely on the logic of "Who needs a DVD drive anymore?" Well, DVD drives aren't the only thing those bays were useful for. I have a fan controller that I love in one of my 5.25" bays. Solved a major problem cheap. Paid less than 15 dollars for a controller that controls 5 fans with simple rotary knobs for each fan.

So I have actually chosen to keep the cheap NZXT case I bought in 2014 or so because it's nearly impossible to buy anything like it now for a reasonable price. I paid probably $40 for it (or less) at the time and at the time, that was about as cheap as you could get but it was (and is) a solid case. The new cheap cases are nowhere near as sturdy and most of them have windows and now 5.25" bays at all.

·
Super Moderator
35,387 Posts
They do make transparent hoods.

View attachment 148863

But then you need to spend money making it look pretty under there and keep it clean.
Good point but they don't put them on every car made. Seems like soon you won't be able to buy even a basic computer without a window to show off all the cheap crap that's inside. And everything will light up so you can't miss it. :LOL:

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
Good point but they don't put them on every car made. Seems like soon you won't be able to buy even a basic computer without a window to show off all the cheap crap that's inside. And everything will light up so you can't miss it. :LOL:

I'm not a fan of the blinky lights. When I had my stereo installed in my truck the guy took it upon himself to install this control for the amp right next to my steering wheel and it's got an LED light that shines directly into my eyes. It's like why would you do that lol? I put some electrical tape over it immediately.

·
SAS Member
43,979 Posts
Lol Alligator Loki is in Runescape in Het's Oasis. I think he might be a crocodile here though and not an alligator.

·
SAS Member
43,979 Posts
I did this quest many years ago but I remembered it again recently because I made another Runescape account and saw him sitting there outside Barbarian village. It's pretty cute. Also look how adorable he looks:

Dororan is a dwarven poet in love with Gudrun, the daughter of Gunnarsgrunn's Chieftain Gunthor. However, he does not believe that he stands a chance, as his strengths lie in words which have left him poor while the barbarians value strength, wealth and height.[1] Despite his love of writing, he does not consider himself to be very good at it, having accidentally given bad advice to Jeffery[2] and often has difficulty writing poems he considers to be worthwhile.[3][4] He also lacks confidence to present his own work, preferring to let other actors do it for him.[5]
Part of the reason I started thinking about this today is I was on twitter and there was some dumb trending hashtag involving LoTR that I won't go into here, and then I was thinking about The Hobbit films and then I was thinking about how they invented Tauriel so they could have a romance arc in the films. Not that this is a terribly original idea I guess (also the quest replaced the previous Romeo and Juliet quest.)

2321 - 2340 of 2345 Posts