Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
2301 - 2308 of 2308 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,906 Posts
I noticed that youtube's dislikes are no longer showing the numbers today, and it doesn't really bother me. I know this was planned, but wasn't sure when it was going to be put into effect, I guess today is the day. Previously, I have read a lot of people being really upset over it, a few were incredibly upset over the fact that they don't show anymore - to the point of losing their minds.. a lot of arguments were listed as to why the dislikes being shown are important.. ultimately though, I think people just get a kick out of seeing a huge dislike ratio on the videos more than anything else. In the end, I don't think it is going to really matter that much. Perhaps people will be less likely to judge the video before watching it, if they don't see the thumbs down. The comments are still available, so they can scroll down the comments, to get an idea of how they should think about the video, so there is that - and they can still belittle the people that create the videos, so they will still have something to fill their time with I guess.
Youtube drama has long been the kind of thing I just ignore. It doesn't matter how good or bad the video is. People will always turn the comments section into an infantile train wreck. Which of course the people who make the videos get to see and hear all the negativity and the bickering and the insanity and it eventually probably drives them crazy and they get involved in the chaos themselves (assuming they weren't rabble rousers in the first place).

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,943 Posts
It is strange to see so many of my favorite youtube channels have been cloned on to odysee, I did not expect to see retro computing stuff there. Even 8bitguy is there, although he hasn't updated for a year.. I haven't really looked into that site very far, but I did create an account today and uploaded a video and was impressed with how quickly it finished. I do find that the playback does buffer more often than youtube though. I don't see an option to keep the videos unlisted though, which is my performed manner in sharing videos as I mostly just link them here when I do want to share them. Likewise, SAS does not support odysee so I wouldn't be able to share them here regardless, outside of a link.

So far, this appears to suit my own viewing habits better than any of the other alternative video sharing sites out there.. but it still is not quite at the level youtube is at.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,770 Posts
I downloaded the wonderful whims mod recently for the sims 4 to give Sims more complex turns ons and personalities, etc since that's missing from The Sims 4 (also just introduces more chaos generally,) and it makes things more entertaining. I like letting the Sims develop lives of their own otherwise I end up playing them too formulaicly. Well that was the plan.

Recently there was a free trial of the island living pack so I've been playing that and quickly downloaded a sim off the gallery so that I didn't have to think about building a Sim to get to the gameplay.

I haven't figured out the wicked whims mod entirely yet but it seemed to come with some preferences already set and I decided to go with those.

So the Sim I'm playing preferred masculine Sims, with high to average body muscle tone, low to average weight and beards. She's also a mermaid (I mean can't play the trial without trying out the occults that come with the pack,) and likes other merfolk as well. So, there was this beardy merguy who seemed to largely fit that preferences upon scanning she perceived him as basic looking until he was in his merform where she perceived him as very attractive. I tried to get them together but it was a relatively slow process and later the merguy asked her out on a date it was going really well until the last minute where she did some social interaction and then he left saying 'don't call me that was terrible' or something LOL, well anyway he seems to still like her as a friend they are now good friends and have the 'just friends' status OK I get the hint.

I started moving in some other Sims in to the hood and creating some kids for some of the existing neighbours since some time passed, and I noticed this one Sim I thought was a slightly androgynous woman, they had a kind of a-line build and very small chest but long hair and relatively feminine clothing I thought (not super femme though.) Also feminine face.

So my Sim ends up at their house later after swimming around ( :whistle: they weren't finding anyone in the hood attractive beard or no, everyone was 'unattractive' or 'basic looking' I cannot be blamed for seeking out adventure,) and I realise this other Sim when visiting the lot has fairly masculine voice/mannerisms and their gender is set to male in CAS when I check but their settings are feminine frame and masculine clothing + they can get others pregnant (I mean I guess their top was masculine but they were still wearing a sarong (?) sort of thing.)

Anyway my Sim found them immediately very attractive in spite of all the preferences that were displayed. I was trying to be unbiased here but somehow this happened anyway. 🤣 Tbf the androgynous Sim is a merfolk Sim too, although their merform is more feminine with makeup and stuff. The trial ends soon so won't be able to see how this goes but obviously the plan now would be to hook them up unless that goes badly too.

Hmm this is him apparently I figured he must be premade, because he looked too good to be randomly generated tbh and didn't have terrible mishmashed custom content clothing🤣 :

Edit: She ended up wanting to kiss him, and his house also ended up being right next to a volcano so I moved them up there to kiss.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,770 Posts
I noticed that youtube's dislikes are no longer showing the numbers today, and it doesn't really bother me. I know this was planned, but wasn't sure when it was going to be put into effect, I guess today is the day. Previously, I have read a lot of people being really upset over it, a few were incredibly upset over the fact that they don't show anymore - to the point of losing their minds.. a lot of arguments were listed as to why the dislikes being shown are important.. ultimately though, I think people just get a kick out of seeing a huge dislike ratio on the videos more than anything else. In the end, I don't think it is going to really matter that much. Perhaps people will be less likely to judge the video before watching it, if they don't see the thumbs down. The comments are still available, so they can scroll down the comments, to get an idea of how they should think about the video, so there is that - and they can still belittle the people that create the videos, so they will still have something to fill their time with I guess.
I found it useful because it shows me quickly how many people potentially disagree with the contents of certain videos. I think it would be more useful for comments though and I never understood why they had a thumbs up option for comments, but not a thumbs down since it's unbalanced. For a lot of topics it's not really important, but for more controversial ones it can be useful, that being said only certain people are suggested certain videos in the first place so it's not like it's ever a balanced audience in the first place. I never used the dislike button to decide whether I wanted to watch a video or not though. I also think removing it will cause the comments of people's videos to get worse/more aggressive but aside from that I'm not that bothered.

I also think it's important to get an idea of what people in general think, so you know what widespread opinions are on certain topics like in regards to minority groups etc (how many people hate you and stuff like that.) Though YouTube isn't really a great place to get an idea of that, social media is where most people form those opinions now so there is a certain responsibility. The mainstream media does a terrible job at getting people to threat model accurately if you look at statistics.

·
Super Moderator
34,906 Posts
I found it useful because it shows me quickly how many people potentially disagree with the contents of certain videos. I think it would be more useful for comments though and I never understood why they had a thumbs up option for comments, but not a thumbs down since it's unbalanced. For a lot of topics it's not really important, but for more controversial ones it can be useful, that being said only certain people are suggested certain videos in the first place so it's not like it's ever a balanced audience in the first place. I never used the dislike button to decide whether I wanted to watch a video or not though. I also think removing it will cause the comments of people's videos to get worse/more aggressive but aside from that I'm not that bothered.

I also think it's important to get an idea of what people in general think, so you know what widespread opinions are on certain topics like in regards to minority groups etc (how many people hate you and stuff like that.) Though YouTube isn't really a great place to get an idea of that, social media is where most people form those opinions now so there is a certain responsibility. The mainstream media does a terrible job at getting people to threat model accurately if you look at statistics.

I basically don't even know that side of Youtube exists because I mostly just watch videos made by people who don't talk about controversial stuff. Which I guess often still doesn't stop the comments section from being a train wreck but I don't read it anyway. Only I guess sometimes I do if there was something in the video that made me want to know more (and almost instantly regret it).

It honestly takes your stress levels way down if you completely ignore all the BS that goes on in the world. If it's not something I can do anything about, I ignore it.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,770 Posts
I basically don't even know that side of Youtube exists because I mostly just watch videos made by people who don't talk about controversial stuff. Which I guess often still doesn't stop the comments section from being a train wreck but I don't read it anyway. Only I guess sometimes I do if there was something in the video that made me want to know more (and almost instantly regret it).

It honestly takes your stress levels way down if you completely ignore all the BS that goes on in the world. If it's not something I can do anything about, I ignore it.
It's easier to avoid controversial stuff on YouTube than on other social media sites I think based on my own experiences, and I try to avoid the people who really annoy me on YouTube, though I'll watch other political stuff and social commentary occasionally.

There isn't anything a single person can do about anything tbh but I'm always looking for hope/reassurance, but all you get 95% of the time is a trainwreck. I don't however have anything I could be doing instead most of the time. It all depends on what distractions are currently working at any point in time and how motivated I am to do the things I have to do.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
@Persephone The Dread I think it is more of a distortion of what people think, on youtube you used to have people like Bearing, Sargon, Milo, and a host of others who would push their audience toward videos in which they would then get bombed with hate comments and dislikes. It wouldn't really depict what people in general thought, but what a certain audience thought. If anything, I imagine it caused a lot of psychological hardship for quite a few people who felt they were hated in general and had the backing of the youtube to reinforce those thoughts. It is especially distorted when people make sock accounts to further weaponize the rating system to intentionally demoralize others.

The rating system on other platforms such as yahoo used to be weaponized as well, there used to be applications one could use to add a host of sock accounts to thumb up and down comments on their news articles and the yahoo answers section, unfortunately those ratings seem to work and convince others that they are the truth.

In a way, I'm glad that the feature is gone - it was a tool for others to bombard people with hate. With that said, I do think a convincing argument can be had that they were good for tutorials, as those were not typically trolled with dislikes.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
We present an approach to cosmology in which the Universe learns its own physical laws. It does so by exploring a landscape of possible laws, which we express as a certain class of matrix models. We discover maps that put each of these matrix models in correspondence with both a gauge/gravity theory and a mathematical model of a learning machine, such as a deep recurrent, cyclic neural network. This establishes a correspondence between each solution of the physical theory and a run of a neural network

Physicists from Microsoft have been contemplating the nature of our universe, and essentially believe that the universe is a self learning computer which I interpret as meaning we may be living in a simulated reality. Of course, there is no real evidence for it and this is all theoretical and I'm not at all qualified to make such statements myself, I just think it is interesting.

2301 - 2308 of 2308 Posts