Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
2261 - 2280 of 2292 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I think wine has become advanced enough to run just about every program I want to, and most of the games I play as well.
I think you have more guts than me. The general consensus seems to be that it depends on the game and the system you're running with. Wine has definitely made good progress over the years and some games do work very well as they would on Windows out of the box. As for other apps, I guess it really depends on what those proprietary folks deliver and whether or not Wine can catch up to it working.

I think the experience would be too much of a hassle for me to manage and it just feels really weird using stuff that's meant for Windows on Linux. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :LOL:

Kudos for getting it to work though. I always see people complain about it but I think if you're willing to put in the work, you can make it happen. ;) Linux FTW!

Reactions: zonebox

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'll never understand the appeal of game streamers. Seriously, where's the fun in watching someone ELSE play a video game?

Youtube is stupid and keeps putting all this streamer crap on my front page. Sure, I watch Let's Plays sometimes to see whether or not I really want to buy a game that looks interesting, or to gain some insight on Minecraft mod packs that I've never played before. I watch game trailers sometimes. But the whole streamer phenomenon baffles me, especially with all the idiots in the chat babbling incessantly. Plus monetization is a major pet peeve of mine; they always have to insert a commercial for some product or service into the stream, ugh. And then there's the constant praise for people who are actually daft enough to give them money... I literally can't even.

Now I guess some big streamer just joined FFXIV and everyone won't stop clamoring about it. But I guess that's what I get for basically playing an MMO solo... I love video games but I hate video game 'culture.'

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Who started the trend of orcs being green? Warhammer?

I'll never understand the appeal of game streamers. Seriously, where's the fun in watching someone ELSE play a video game?

Youtube is stupid and keeps putting all this streamer crap on my front page. Sure, I watch Let's Plays sometimes to see whether or not I really want to buy a game that looks interesting, or to gain some insight on Minecraft mod packs that I've never played before. I watch game trailers sometimes. But the whole streamer phenomenon baffles me, especially with all the idiots in the chat babbling incessantly. Plus monetization is a major pet peeve of mine; they always have to insert a commercial for some product or service into the stream, ugh. And then there's the constant praise for people who are actually daft enough to give them money... I literally can't even.

Now I guess some big streamer just joined FFXIV and everyone won't stop clamoring about it. But I guess that's what I get for basically playing an MMO solo... I love video games but I hate video game 'culture.'
Generally I don't either. But it can be worthwhile if the streamer and the game are both funny.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Does anyone else just... not enjoy "hard" things?

I know lots of gamers relish the chance to take on the "hardest" content. Like "Extreme" or "Mythic" difficulties or really difficult games. It seems like a bit of a hot topic, between those who feel like games are too "dumbed down" and "easy" because they love a challenge, and those of us who just want to enjoy a game without beating our heads against a wall, ya know?

Back in my early 20's I enjoyed raiding in vanilla WoW. But since then I've come to feel like it's never worth the extra stress. I guess performance anxiety has a lot to do with it; I feel like I'm not "good enough" to take on the harder content anymore. But I'm also a lot more laid back, and content to enjoy the story and the basics.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I know lots of gamers relish the chance to take on the "hardest" content. Like "Extreme" or "Mythic" difficulties or really difficult games. It seems like a bit of a hot topic, between those who feel like games are too "dumbed down" and "easy" because they love a challenge, and those of us who just want to enjoy a game without beating our heads against a wall, ya know?

Back in my early 20's I enjoyed raiding in vanilla WoW. But since then I've come to feel like it's never worth the extra stress. I guess performance anxiety has a lot to do with it; I feel like I'm not "good enough" to take on the harder content anymore. But I'm also a lot more laid back, and content to enjoy the story and the basics.
The reason I don't like higher difficulty in games is that it often amounts to damage sponge enemies that take forever to kill, moves that are impossible or near impossible to dodge that kill you and force you to start over, etc. A lot of "challenging gameplay" just feels cheap and wasteful.

·
SAS Member
14,463 Posts
The reason I don't like higher difficulty in games is that it often amounts to damage sponge enemies that take forever to kill, moves that are impossible or near impossible to dodge that kill you and force you to start over, etc. A lot of "challenging gameplay" just feels cheap and wasteful.
Yeah that's Bethesda's idea of difficulty lol. Pump the HP all the way up.

It's always either HP or hit scanners, or both for most game that are "difficult"

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It becomes exhausting lol. I like games where you can get stronger and demolish enemies, stomping on them like a giant would.
Agreed. I like games where you can actually become OP and just destroy everything. Which is why I play most games on low difficulties. Especially Fallout 4 and Skyrim...

Reactions: bjornironside

·
drifting in mist
677 Posts
Yeah I don't have patience for "hard" games any more either. Usually the difficulty is just dying over and over until you memorize some pattern. Or other times it's reading the developer's mind about choosing the good skills and ignoring the useless ones in an rpg. If I wanted a legitimate challenge I would play chess or some other online games but those stress me out and make me obsessed with getting better. These days I just want to enjoy a good story, art, or a cleverly designed system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agreed. I like games where you can actually become OP and just destroy everything. Which is why I play most games on low difficulties. Especially Fallout 4 and Skyrim...
I gave up on MediEvil because there was an absurd boss fight. I think it was the first boss and I couldn't change the difficulty. Don't know how hard Fallout 4 and Skyrim get but I don't blame you. When there is an easy mode, it feels like the true normal setting for some games.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,827 Posts
It seems Blizzard is in a bit of hot water right now, and is being sued by California. I am not really surprised. I enjoyed WoW for many years, but the way the game is structured it feels it is designed in such a way as to encourage toxicity among the player base. I will say that mob tagging is no longer a thing though, so that helped out.

Otherwise, I recently downloaded FFXIV and holy hell, that game is amazing and I actually have had a pleasant experience with the the other people that play it. Even while grouping, I have as of yet to see players fighting one another, it is really a breath of fresh air to see people being civil with one another online. My experience in WoW was the exact opposite, grouping was enough to shoot my anxiety through the roof and it was not uncommon to see people arguing with others in group content.. it is one of the reasons I created my own private server, I enjoyed the game but the playerbase often left much to be desired.

FFXIV reminds me of the earlier days of EQ or even WoW, people were polite with one another, they were mostly just nerds having fun in the game. I think the reason for this is due to FFXIV being a story driven MMO, and most of the people who lack patience will quit the game early as they can't be bothered to spend their time reading the dialogue in the cut scenes.

I actually enjoy being around others in the game, and doing group activities, that is not something I have felt for a long time.

But yeah, anyway, back to what I originally wrote, Blizzard has really goofed up, and the more I read of their internal affairs the crazier it gets.

·
Self isolating from self
3,220 Posts
It seems Blizzard is in a bit of hot water right now, and is being sued by California. I am not really surprised. I enjoyed WoW for many years, but the way the game is structured it feels it is designed in such a way as to encourage toxicity among the player base. I will say that mob tagging is no longer a thing though, so that helped out.

Otherwise, I recently downloaded FFXIV and holy hell, that game is amazing and I actually have had a pleasant experience with the the other people that play it. Even while grouping, I have as of yet to see players fighting one another, it is really a breath of fresh air to see people being civil with one another online. My experience in WoW was the exact opposite, grouping was enough to shoot my anxiety through the roof and it was not uncommon to see people arguing with others in group content.. it is one of the reasons I created my own private server, I enjoyed the game but the playerbase often left much to be desired.

FFXIV reminds me of the earlier days of EQ or even WoW, people were polite with one another, they were mostly just nerds having fun in the game. I think the reason for this is due to FFXIV being a story driven MMO, and most of the people who lack patience will quit the game early as they can't be bothered to spend their time reading the dialogue in the cut scenes.

I actually enjoy being around others in the game, and doing group activities, that is not something I have felt for a long time.

But yeah, anyway, back to what I originally wrote, Blizzard has really goofed up, and the more I read of their internal affairs the crazier it gets.
Yeah, sadly I can't say that I'm surprised either. Activision Blizzard continues to be a terrible company, run by terrible people.

·
drifting in mist
677 Posts
Man I remember the days when Blizzard used to pump out nothing but masterpiece after masterpiece. I thought the ****ty new games used to drag the old name through the mud, but now they've taken it to new levels of ****.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Along with the difficulty levels, another thing I hate in games nowadays is this "go-go-go-go!" mentality. Especially in MMOs. It was only exacerbated when Blizzard developed the whole Mythic Keystone crap in WoW. But even in games where there really isn't a time limit, you're expected to go as fast as possible. I refuse to heal top level dungeons in FFXIV because the stupid tanks pull half the freaking instance at once and then blame me when they die. Screw that.

This is a pet peeve of mine in regular life too -- like people who go WAY over the speed limit. It's like hey, if you want that speeding ticket then you go right ahead; I'LL be going the speed limit, no more and no less. Also people who rush through assignments just to get them done, and don't actually take the time to do them right. It seems to be a persistent problem all over the place, like people just can't wait to get on to the next thing; nobody is content to just appreciate the present anymore.

Otherwise, I recently downloaded FFXIV and holy hell, that game is amazing and I actually have had a pleasant experience with the the other people that play it. Even while grouping, I have as of yet to see players fighting one another, it is really a breath of fresh air to see people being civil with one another online. My experience in WoW was the exact opposite, grouping was enough to shoot my anxiety through the roof and it was not uncommon to see people arguing with others in group content..
Too many people are switching over from WoW to FFXIV now IMO... I'm beginning to encounter a LOT more toxic players than I did a few months ago. All because some dumb streamer made the switch too, ugh. I hate streamers.

Reactions: zonebox

·
Registered
248 Posts

I know lots of gamers relish the chance to take on the "hardest" content. Like "Extreme" or "Mythic" difficulties or really difficult games.
I absolutely enjoy hard games, but a lot of extreme difficulties nowadays basically amount to trying to outpace your enemies' big numbers with bigger numbers. The entire God of War series has always had this problem and now that they've tacked on RPG-lite elements, it's only got worse and more transparent. Same with Assassin's Creed (because they know they can monetize the ability to increase your numbers). A good example of a well designed extreme difficulty is MGS2, where they carefully rebalanced every aspect of the game (AI, enemy walking speed, efficiency of tranquilizers, item location) rather than changing some number values.
On the other hand, I don't get why people are so opposed to games like Dark Souls having difficulty options. I can see their side of the argument because those games kind of fall apart if there is no challenge, but there are mechanics baked into their single difficulty level that already undermine this challenge (like summoning or some builds being too good).

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Much rather play a game that's a little too hard than one that's too easy, and also one that's much too hard over one that's much too easy. Though I'm not likely to stick with either in the latter case. But yeah, when you turn your strategy game into a puzzle or your shooter into an exercise in trial&error, you've gone too far. The difficulty should be based on skill, not tailor-made tactics for predefined challenges.

·
Super Moderator
34,592 Posts
Much rather play a game that's a little too hard than one that's too easy, and also one that's much too hard over one that's much too easy. Though I'm not likely to stick with either in the latter case. But yeah, when you turn your strategy game into a puzzle or your shooter into an exercise in trial&error, you've gone too far. The difficulty should be based on skill, not tailor-made tactics for predefined challenges.
I hardly ever play games anymore but IMO, the sweet spot is one that isn't hard and isn't easy. Those seem to be the rare ones. I played some where I was just always stuck in a certain place and I would invariably just give up on it. Also games that get harder and faster the more you play until it feels like the whole universe is trying to crush you. No thanks. :LOL:

·
drifting in mist
677 Posts
So many wasted words about Rey and what she means for female characters when Darth Traya is one of the greatest characters of all time.

·
banana enthusiast
7,067 Posts
I just did a complete re-install of Windows 10 for the first time in 5 years. My system was running ridiculously slowly while watching youtube videos and other stuff, and I was also paranoid about malware and keyloggers and all that. So I did the re-install last night and my laptop is running so smoothly now. I don't get any stutter while watching videos, nor do I get it freezing on random pages where the entire Chrome process becomes unresponsive for about a minute. This is longer than I usually wait between doing complete re-installs, but honestly Windows 10 runs pretty well and it didn't start being ridiculously slow until a few months ago.

2261 - 2280 of 2292 Posts