Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
2241 - 2260 of 2292 Posts

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,828 Posts
I've switched over to using telegram, from facebook messenger and am pleased. I know for a lot of people, chat apps such as telegram, discord, and others are nothing new but it has been a while since I have dabbled with them. The last chat app I recall using with any frequency before facebook's messenger was Yahoo Chat, which I enjoyed a lot. Due to yahoo chat being discontinued, and having no real social life I've mostly stuck with facebook as I don't know anyone using other platforms.

Telegram kind of reminds me of yahoo's chat, because there were public rooms back then. I don't plan on using them though, because my social days are way behind me. It is nice having the ability to setup group chats for my family though. I had made a channel for everyone to input groceries they wanted, and another just to hangout.

Initially, I was opposed to discord, mostly because I am not much of a chatter - also my idea of it was that it was a voice over IP platform for gamers. Now that I look more into it though, it seems discord is not really a great service because much like facebook it may be selling your data. I don't like being used as a commodity so I am happy for now that telegram has been behaving themselves, although that is no guaranty for the future. I would rather use Matrix, and setup my own server, but - I would have had a harder time convincing my family to move over to that platform as a default chat app.

I must say though, it was nice removing the facebook messenger icon from my phone. Unfortunately, the app itself remains on my phone for my youngest brother, but if he decides to move over to telegram I look forward to removing it permanently, and deleting my facebook account all together.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
A few weeks ago I got tired of trying to get an RTX3080, so I decided f it I'm just going to get a pre-built PC. It's going to take a while and that's ok. I customized the components and spent over $3K, it had better be more than sufficient for a number of years 😂 Then again I've been rocking a 1060 6GB for almost 5 years and can still run a lot of things fine so I don't see why not.

Reactions: zonebox

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
yes lol. The best games are the ones on sales. It's like the guy from Monkey Island said "never pay more than 20$ for a videogame" lol
😂 Monkey Island - that was a great game and the sequels, too. Fortunately the PC world, sales are plentiful with some deep discounts if you are prepared to wait. As of now there's only one upcoming game I want day 1 and that's Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown. They better not screw it up, TDU2 is one of my all time favorite games.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
I'm sorry it took so long to reply to this, I saw the notification and was planning on responding but as often happens to me my mind went wandering off. The Amiga has all sorts of copyrights they would have to go through, if they can get through some of them then they will have a good chance. I've seen a few other companies in the past try to recreate an Amiga but they often give up due to not being able to use the operating system, and the kickstart which is fundamental to running most amiga software including games.

They did promote it, kind of. They had a cut out image of an Amiga 500, where the amiga was blacked out and the background was visible - but everyone could still make out what it was. I wish I could find the post they had made, but it excited a lot of us. I believe they have a better chance than anyone. I think Amiga Forever, are the ones that own the kickstarts needed for any emulation, so they would need to work through them.

It is pretty funny to think about, but over two decades after the Amiga has died, it is still living on. There are even computers still being made, the most recent being a stand aloneased one called the Vampire. The FPGA has been programmed to run as a 68k CPU, with a bunch of additional stuffs added such as HDMI and wireless support, it is really fun stuff for me to keep an eye on. It is out of my budget though, so I typically settle on emulating it on my raspberry pi when I want a faster amiga, which runs just as fast as the vampire but a fraction of the price 😆

There is an entire community out there, constantly making upgrades for their old computers, it is really impressive to keep an eye out, in fact it is that way for a lot of retro computers now and people of all ages are taking part in it.

The Vampire, has spurred on developement for another operating system called AROS which will run on 68k based computers, AROS also worked on a kickstart that perhaps, will see more attention too. The reasoning they are doing this, is because of those copyrights and the large number of fans that want to see Amiga continue on into the future.
I've seen a couple of really good documentaries on YouTube about Commodore, and the Amiga. Not an easy ride and a sad fall (bit like Atari). Funny how the Amiga was offered to Atari but they turned it down. Because of the demand for all things retro, new and improved versions of old computers being released (the Spectrum Next is a prime example), you would like to think that some common sense would prevail and money could be made. Did you see about the 'new' Atari VCS. Not sure long term it will be a success (price to performance is not great). But initially at least it appears to have been a success. So, another reason why they could see reason to release an Amiga mini. Another indicator is that the Amiga emulators are usually pretty high up on the android charts, this must mean by association that sales of Amiga Forever are pretty good on that OS.

I love that old consoles and computers still have stuff being released for them. There have been many years for coders/artists/musicians now to understand the internal workings of the machines and some games may not have been thought possible in their original era.

Which version of Raspberry Pi do you have? How do you have it set up? Checked out the Vampire boards, not cheap for sure but looks interesting.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I remember hearing about the Atari VCS, I haven't kept up with it very much though. I do know that the retro scene on youtube are helping build a commodore 64 like computer, called the Commander 16 which looks pretty interesting

For emulation, a lot of people suggest going with the MiSTer, which looks really great for running a lot of the older platforms. I haven't kept up with it that much, but from what I understand it is an FPGA based system that does an amazing job emulating a lot of older consoles and computers. I think what excites a lot of people, is that the cores are loaded into the FPGA rather than emulating on top of a CPU, which makes it much more responsive - at least that is my understanding of it. Because it is not technically emulating, it has almost no lag and gets a lot of great reviews. The Pi, also is great for emulating but people have mentioned there is a slight delay that they can notice, I haven't yet but I am not as hardcore of a gamer as a lot of these people are.

I do love the raspberry PI though, it is very versatile - right now it is hosting my search engine, it was running a web server as well but I decided to just stick with Neocities.org, plus Bob my robot vacuum decided to bounce around the power cord which killed the SD card that was holding all of the server data. I had to get a new card and reinstall everything. I did have an amiga emulator on it, and it ran pretty fast on top of raspbian, but there are ways to emulate it much faster.

I've really wanted to get the vampire for a while now, but the PI can run an Amiga faster than it, at least for now. Once the Vampire has matured a bit more, I think the plan is to introduce new 68k based computers running an open sourced OS. It is really cool to watch it unfold. But, at the asking price for a vampire right now, I just can't sink that kind of money into it.. especially when my pi can do it slightly faster. I think it also can run faster than the MiSTer - but only because I think the MiSTer is throttled, they do this as their goal is to get the cores to run as accurate as possible, at least that is the impression I got from reading a post a few months ago.

Here is a pretty cool video comparing the Vampire to the Pi

For now, I'm just being lazy and running the emulator on my PC when I want to play with an Amiga, I have Amiga Forever which does a pretty good job although WinUAE does just as good and is free so long as you hunt down the right kickstarts.
My Raspberry Pi is version 4, with 4gb of ram. Since I have bought it though, they are now offering the Pi4 with 8gb of ram which I might get later on. It is running the default rasberry pi os, in 32 bit although it is capable of running 64 bit.

·
Krombopulos Neal
1,512 Posts
Finally finished building my first gaming PC. It took months though thanks to all the craziness going on.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Finally finished building my first gaming PC. It took months though thanks to all the craziness going on.
nice - specs?

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
William Shatner is 90, that is pretty crazy to think about. This happened back in March, but I just found out about it now - I never have been one to follow actors. He doesn't even remotely look like he is 90, perhaps later 70s but he looks to be in amazing shape for a 90 year old.

I hope I hold out as well as he has.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,371 Posts
I'm a bit late to the party but wtf is this lol?

Aside from the confusing initial moments where there are a number of Pokémon that aren't Pokémon and it's all very confusing because I don't recognise a single one and sure I haven't played the recent handheld's/paid attention but there will usually be something. And it's not Pokémon it's a Pokémon rip off but also. The entire point is just to build Pokémon sweat shops.

It's really surreal like everything is slightly off lol. Massive bootleg energy but Nintendo haven't reacted yet.

So they thought what if you play as team Rocket I guess.

A mash-up of Pokémon, Harvest Moon, Minecraft, Breath of the Wild and Gears of War. I never thought I'd see the day.
And Mario.

Pokémon is actually worse though probably, I'm not sure which will kill you faster the constant fighting or the abusive factory environment. I guess you have to factor in the medical miracle Pokémon centres that make it almost impossible for Pokémon to die somehow.

Almost.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,371 Posts

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,371 Posts
I know the creator of this doesn't really want the drama of being pitted against EA which is fair but honestly his trailer is better. I liked some features of this new cottagecore pack too but the more info that comes out about it the more disappointing it seems, plus as usual there's a lack of content. His trailer really is like UP and has more personality/story which is something that's also very lacking in The Sims 4. They need to hire better writers who understand Sims lore so they don't keep bringing back characters from previous games with storylines and personalities that make no sense I mean wtf was the Caliente household in The Sims 4 base game and who tf is Katrina? (Their mum's name is Nighat in The Sims 2.) Don't get me started on the timeline discrepancies, but I digress:

The bunny in the above trailer is cute though. It also has llamas, but it's been suggested these are objects that come from rabbit holes which is lame.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,371 Posts
You should apply bruh :coffee::unsure:
I'm not sure if they're looking right now but I don't have enough experience to probably qualify for what they're looking for lol. Also tbh I don't think I'd want to work for EA. It doesn't seem like a good company to work for at this point, and their business model is terrible. Plus I didn't start playing The Sims 4 until 2019 and have never been as into that game as the previous ones. There was a point in my life where I wanted to be a developer and work on projects like Medievil for playstation but the industry has changed a lot since then. As a teenager I remember a modder got hired to work for The Sims 2 (I think they approached her, she didn't conventionally apply anyway I remember that,) and at the time I thought wow that's amazing, like a dream job. Then I studied art for video games at uni obviously as well but working for EA is not at all what I'd want now.

Tbh I'm not sure if anyone can change it from within at this point especially from the development side. People have often suggested things. They even have the 'EA game changer' thing so there's communication but they ignore a lot of the criticism from the community from what I've noticed, and when people are more honest from what I've noticed they start to ignore them too lol (or maybe just favour American YouTubers or certain personalities. I noticed they started to ignore Plumbella recently, who is a gamechanger, though she also has mental health issues and has taken gaps from YT.)

They also sent a cease and desist letter to a developer who worked on The Sims 2 who had been tweeting stuff about his experience working on that project at the time lol. Oh wait yeah this is the thread I posted that in above lol yeah.

People have been complaining about EA and the effect they have on video games for years now though. Just digs thrown at them/videos everywhere:

this video came out 2 weeks ago:

It's gotten to the point now where brands are approaching the mod community over approaching EA because even they're aware, which is a pretty big indictment of the company:

My friend also informed me while looking through patreon accounts recently because he subscribed to someone's patreon (unrelated to this,) that most of the 1st and 2nd page of patreon account listings if you search games on there were modders for The Sims 4. I haven't looked myself though. Some of them get paid a lot making like £10k a month because people are desperate because of EA.

Paralives would probably be a better project to work on now.

·
Banned
Somewhere else.
64 Posts
I think companies like that need creative talent not blinded by greed & dollar signs 🤑 but it seems humans, business, naturally devolve easily into that given a little success, they get fat, hedonistic, lazy, become scavengers feeding of the weak & broken, it's sad.

EA = 🤢🤮
Werebear = 😍

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Windows 11 does not appeal to me, I don't like the new layout, it kind of reminds me of my wife's iPad.

I think in the near future I may just move back to Linux, it does almost everything I want it to do and it relies less on the cloud. I like having my own computer, with data stored locally - especially considering how flaky my Internet can be. The only reason I am with Windows now is that this laptop came with it, and I actually enjoy the functionality of it despite it being essentially a large piece of spyware.

KDE looks pretty good on my virtualbox, plus there is a ton of customization I can do on top of that - if I wanted to I could make my computer look like windows 95 which would just fill my inner core with nostalgia gewdness.

What is it with microsoft producing a lousy OS every other release? Also, why put start in the center? I hope they offer people the choice as to where to place it.

Edit:
The more I look at it, the more it appears to be completely unnecessary. It appears that the start button can be moved around, which is good. I dunno - they should have just stuck with windows 10 like they said they were going to do and offer these features to people. To me it appears as though they are going the Windows 8 route to try to make this more touch screen friendly.

Yeah, it is a free upgrade but nah, I think it is time I started to back everything up on my computer and just get moving to linux over with already.

·
SAS Member
14,463 Posts
I installed a list of mods for Skyrim Special edition through Wabbajack. God damn, a 150gb mod list with a lot of graphic mods and the game doesn't even crash once after hours of play. And Wabbajack installs everything automatically on top of it. Easy money. It's a bit of a shame that it's player curated modlists though, because they always add mods you dislike or don't want and you're kind of stuck with them.

Still though, automated mod list installer. I never thought i'd see that anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
So Microsoft "leaked" Windows 11 and the not so friendly thing about this announcement is that they are enforcing a hardware prereq for using Windows 11.

Practically, unless you own hardware that was released in the past 4ish years, you will not be able to use Windows 11.

This is normal for Microsoft to do as they have always been in cahoots with hardware manufacturers and I am not surprised—just yet again upset. It's dirty business.

It's mainly a problem now because of the crucial parts most people need for custom builds are being taken away and being soled at double/triple the price thanks to scalpers.

As much as I would love to move to Linux, I unfortunately still need Windows for things. At least I have Linux on my laptop now which was running Windows 10 like a slug. Much better.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
As much as I would love to move to Linux, I unfortunately still need Windows for things. At least I have Linux on my laptop now which was running Windows 10 like a slug. Much better.
That is the point I am at right now, at this time windows sits on a 120gb SSD drive and I am likely going to purchase a 1 tb SSD, clone my windows partition and expand it to about 200gb, and use the remaining 800gb for linux. This way I'll have access to all of my documents, pictures, etc - and if need be or I have the desire to goof around with windows I will just reboot into it. I think wine has become advanced enough to run just about every program I want to, and most of the games I play as well.

2241 - 2260 of 2292 Posts