Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1801 - 1820 of 1861 Posts

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,770 Posts
1. I've never actually watched Drag Race

2. I didn't know Drag Race existed in the UK.

3. Nevertheless this is exactly what I would expect from Drag Race UK:

'I am serving you an adequate dress'

'The judges seem vaguely amused.' 🤣

·
drifting in mist
698 Posts
Why are so many stories of "outsider" type characters popular in the mainstream? By definition shouldn't an outsider not be appealing to the masses? Was thinking this as I was playing The Witcher 2. Geralt is partly so likable because he is a freak, and hangs out with other freaks and doesn't judge them. But when I think about it there are many popular characters like that: Harry Potter, most superheroes, or further back the Rebel Without a Cause protagonist (was a Jeopardy question today). But if you go way back to ancient stories they're mostly all about royalty and heroes, not weirdos and outcasts. Is this a modern phenomenon?

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,770 Posts
I thought Crywank were breaking up and not making new material since they were supposed to be doing their last tour but then covid hit. But Jay has recently uploaded a bunch more music so perhaps they're continuing without Dan.

I haven't listened to most of it yet but this track is great.

Not sure what the instrument is that starts at 1:20 but that's great. It's reminding me of something but not sure what. Maybe some Coil tracks. Amber Rain maybe.

'It seems these days the weaker ones survive, what an awful way to find our you're alive.'

I always do this when I listen to stuff and it always occurs in the back of my mind that that would be very annoying for an artist to hear. 🤣 'something you created reminds me of someone else's music'

@firelight most people feel alienated now perhaps. I also think that there's a lot of story arcs about villains being redeemed but it's always certain kinds of villain characters (like someone who's a self insert for LGBT people and alienated women like Loki, or someone who's a self insert for a young angry straight man like Kylo Ren. It didn't work lol I'm just saying what I think they tried to do, I feel like Kylo probably ended up appealing to the same group of people as Loki, dunno though.*) Over time portrayals of vampires became more sympathetic too (I think this is partly because certain groups of people especially LGBT people related to the characters, and there are stereotypes of female vampires being lesbians, I mean it's a trope in fiction. So that became a whole thing also via Anne Rice.) Illidan in WoW.. Feel like they'll switch is up with Sylvanas because surely not again but anyway. The similar characters in Japanese media don't get redeemed in cannon like Sephiroth (definitely do in fanon though.) I think Japan also has weirder protagonists though that are relatable like L (Death Note,) and Cloud.

And you know films like Maleficent are for a similar audience again. I am the audience and I kind of id with Maleficent but I haven't watched lol.

*I think probably Joker fit the demographic target instead lol. Why do these paragraphs make no sense because I edited this too many times again.

edit again: Oh yeah and most of it is young adult fiction which is a newer genre as is the lifestage of being a young adult or teenager and I think LoTR had a big influence on fiction etc with the hobbits being quite unlikely heroes.

There were definitely some weird characters in older stuff though tbh. Obviously Satan but Jesus in the Bible was kind of an outcast too. Don't read enough to think of a lot of older work though and I guess it depends on how far back you want to go too. I think there were lots of gothic works during the 1800s and later in Britain. Like Wuthering Heights and Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus and that probably led to stories that explored identity and personal conflict more along with science fiction which then led into dystopian fiction.

A lot of this including LoTR is probably a reaction to industrialisation.

Oh yeah I completely forgot but started reading wikipedia:

Film director Guillermo del Toro describes Frankenstein as "the quintessential teenage book", noting that the feelings that "You don't belong. You were brought to this world by people that don't care for you and you are thrown into a world of pain and suffering, and tears and hunger" are an important part of the story. He adds that "it's an amazing book written by a teenage girl. It's mind-blowing."[79] Professor of philosophy Patricia MacCormack says that the Creature addresses the most fundamental human questions: "It's the idea of asking your maker what your purpose is. Why are we here, what can we do?"[79] On November 5, 2019, the BBC News listed Frankenstein on its list of the 100 most influential novels.[80]
Guillermo Del Toro loves outcasts and monsters in his work.

·
drifting in mist
698 Posts
@Persephone The Dread Hmm yeah that's interesting too about the glut of redemption arc stuff. Guess more people are feeling alienated as you say, and maybe "debased" somehow and wanting to feel cleansed or at least heroic? I had the banal thought that stuff in the past was all the aristocracy writing for itself, now the stories are by and for the oppressed masses. OR they are still productions of the elite meant to keep us diverted as we roll in the muck and the mire? OR I am overthinking and making stuff up.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,770 Posts

Jay's lyrics are so great. They feel a lot rawer and contemporary than most people's.

=O

Doing it again. This is very pacific North West US indie band meets post-rock. Like Mogwai and Parenthetical Girls. And it's funny because I do keep thinking of Jay as like some Millennial Cobain. Is this the most obnoxious paragraph that ever existed? It's up there. But no I am stanning hard and I promise I'm going to stop.

This last track is similar to some of their past work actually (Falling down a hole, an Academics lament of Barbie kind of gives a vibe of hopelessness, pointless, and lack of progression. Mark Fisher feels. But the aggression kind of overpowers the hopelessness a bit.) but it also has admit it by Say Anything vibes and now I'm thinking of the weird 2011 academic paper I was reading about emo and gender (that referenced this song) written by a teacher who wanted to understand his teenager students more, that I started reading after I began writing an essay post which I probably removed, inspired by the fact that people won't stop comparing being non-binary to emo and goth so I sort of took that idea very literally and ran with it.

And then there's always the irony.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,770 Posts
@Persephone The Dread Hmm yeah that's interesting too about the glut of redemption arc stuff. Guess more people are feeling alienated as you say, and maybe "debased" somehow and wanting to feel cleansed or at least heroic? I had the banal thought that stuff in the past was all the aristocracy writing for itself, now the stories are by and for the oppressed masses. OR they are still productions of the elite meant to keep us diverted as we roll in the muck and the mire? OR I am overthinking and making stuff up.
Yeah I think the target audience has varied and also the people writing has varied a little bit. If you go back a long way I think it was mostly to emphasise moral lessons and ideals and now it's more about escapism and self soothing and expressing fears, but the morality is still there too. But yeah I dunno.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,770 Posts

I think tbh this is an issue with acting in the US. They don't normally do theatre work or have as much training before going into film. Some people are quite charismatic, funny etc, but they're often not really great and versatile actors. And that's I think why the US keeps hiring actors from the UK and Australia, Canada and other places these days. I mean saying that typically British actors get typecast into villain roles though but over the past 2 decades that's been changing.

In the UK there actually isn't a lot of acting work, and there also aren't a lot of interesting roles so a lot of British actors also want to go to the US to act especially black British actors because they can get more work over there.

And honestly I'm sat here trying to think of some more interesting US actors imo who are living and below 60 (edit: I gave up on the age thing lol,) and have been in multiple significant works, and played multiple types of characters to show some versatility (not just playing themselves either,) and I'm coming up with examples like Keanu Reeves and Jim Carey and then it turns out they're both Canadian. I think Johnny Depp is interesting though and Jodie Foster. I haven't seen most films though really. Jack Nicholson and Robert De Niro and Morgan Freeman have a significant presence. Meryl Streep is excellent. It took me a while to think of people.

I feel like Kat Dennings is probably underrated as a comedic actress that's just a feeling I have. I think she has potential and she hasn't been given the biggest or best roles (like she has a significant role in 2 broke girls but the writing is so so.) I'm not comparing her to great actors though I just think for her ability she's underrated (underutilised I guess,) and there are bigger actors whose ability I'd rate lower. Think she did play Death in the Sandman comics audiobook recently though. How do comic books work as an audiobook?

Rooney Mara is interesting too and I'm going to say Stephanie Beatriz just based on how different she is from the character she's most known for. I'm wondering if people who move to New York to pursue acting earlier in life/adulthood are better than people who move to LA as well or who start off in LA. I would assume that intuitively and they have Broadway there, but what do I know? I like Aubrey Plaza as well, and she's had some interesting roles like in Legion though I think she often has ended up playing someone very similar to herself which is probably because she's a very peculiar/interesting personality but yeah. I like Kathryn Hahn but she's typecast. Oh yeah Amanda Seyfried definitely.

She stopped modeling when she was 17,[2] and worked as a waitress in a retirement community.[8] Seyfried took vocal lessons, studied opera, and trained with a Broadway coach while still a teen. She began acting as an extra in the daytime drama television series Guiding Light.[9] From 2000 to 2001, she portrayed the recurring character Lucy Montgomery on the CBS soap opera As the World Turns.[9] She played Joni Stafford on the ABC soap All My Children from 2002 to 2003.
Yeah you know and it shows.

I almost want to say Adam Driver maybe, but that might be more about him as a person but he's been in some indie films too and has some ability. I saw him in Girls but that show was pretty bad imo so it's not hard to be a redeeming quality in a show like that.

Joaquin Phoenix. Susan Sarandon (can't keep editing this post lol.)

So there are a bunch but there are so many US actors that I find really boring and who are huge. Tom Cruise is definitely the go to example imo. There's just something about him he always overshadows his characters too and not in a good way. So you're watching Tom Cruise. Not a fan. I'm glad they're making a Vampire Chronicles TV show because I'm interested to see an adaptation of Interview with the Vampire without Tom Cruise (that's right I can't make myself watch it lol. Not super into Brad Pitt either but he was fine in Fight Club.) Tbf in the early 2000s there were some British Hollywood actors that I really didn't like either like Hugh Grant big no and to a lesser extent Colin Firth don't like either of them and that's probably partly subjective but I feel like Hugh Grant was just like selling a British stereotype and that was his whole thing you know?

I think a lot of US actors don't get the same training and there's more of a celebrity culture especially the ones who stick around Hollywood and LA (this exists in the UK too though, but it's sort of separate.) I think it's difficult though because the US is such a large country and there are probably less decent acting schools and opportunities for this sort of thing spread out across most of the US. It's also no doubt very expensive which is why you see an obvious class bias in UK actors for the most part (but there are some people who aren't upper class going over to the US to act now as well.)

Then I just found this link talking about actors in Hollywood who went to acting school vs those who didn't.

Al Pacino went to acting school, as shocking as it might sound! Not too many people would expect that someone as talented as him ever went to an acting class because it seems like his acting skills, so naturally. He revealed that he was able to go to acting school for the experience and he was able to practice in front of an audience. He said that it required a certain amount of commitment. Al Pacino is certainly one of the biggest actors in this day and age... he’s been at it for decades!
That's ridiculous though isn't it? Why would you assume someone decent at acting would just naturally be that way? It doesn't apply generally lol does it? It's an odd assumption people make about creative fields (I noticed classes in creative subjects were the worst taught in my high school and I think it's partly because of this general attitude,) but there are people who for example are absolutely **** at drawing but realise you can practice and then they've shown where they started vs where they ended up and they weren't naturally gifted but not everyone is good at self teaching.

·
Irretrievably Lost
2,707 Posts
Spoilers Alert! You've been warned!

I've been binge watching this War of the Worlds reboot series and it's really messing with my mind. Maybe it's due to living through a pandemic where everything got weird and everything has been semi-apocalyptical for a while. At first the series seems like just another reboot with some all too convenient incidents occurring at varying points in the story arc which seem very Hollywood and not that realistic. But, despite some of that cheesiness I've been really sucked into this series. I found myself actually identifying with the characters and becoming really attached to them.

Basically the show is The Walking Dead except with aliens instead of zombies. Aliens discover Earth, kill 99% of the population with some kind of electromagnetic pulse, then invade and set about killing off those lucky enough to have somehow survived the initial attack. But then it twists and turns all over the place.

Eventually we discover that the aliens aren't actually aliens but are humans from hundreds or thousands of years into the future trying to eliminate the 2020 humans so they can repopulate the Earth and spread their culture. The future humans believe that the only way to ensure their own survival is to destroy the contemporary humans who they believe are destined to eliminate them. So that is the major plot twist in season 2.

This all leads to the season 2 finale which is what has ****ed with my mind so much. It's like a mystery wrapped inside an enigma. I had to watch the finale twice to really understand it. But basically the lead character who is a contemporary human is able to transport himself back in time using future human technology to the morning of the initial attack and prevent it. However, the only way he can prevent it is to kill the other leading character who is said to be the "eve" of the alien race and has always had a strange connection to the future humans. This is weird because this girl was for a while seen as the contemporary humans best chance for survival but now he has to kill her instead - totally unexpected. I was pretty upset when I realized he had to kill her because they and all the contemporary humans had been through so much together and the characters genuine liked and respected each other but he has no choice he has to kill her to save everyone else. She will end up being the only character to die as her death will ultimately prevent the attack and save everyone else but she is the character I think most people feel for the most and identify with the most which is why it's such a shock.

But what ****ed with my mind so much in all this was this time loop and how you realize that all these little events that took place through the series are all connected and they all had to occur in a certain order and in a certain way for both sets of humans to meet and struggle to survive and eventually for one to eliminate the other. And you don't really realize this until the finale in season 2. It's like all of sudden you get it, you get what's been going on the whole time, like the truth is finally revealed, and it's a pretty complex truth to make sense of.

What has also ****ed with my head is that in two seasons basically every character has either been killed or has been turned into some kind of depraved, amoral killer of some sort. This includes kids, like 3 little kids get killed in the series. It's very dark and hopeless at times and you get the impression that there is no way the contemporary humans can survive as they keep getting picked off and also keep fighting amongst themselves.

lol idk I don't usually get into movies or television like this, I barely ever even watch TV. But every once in a while something like this comes along and I get totally hooked.

·
Registered
48 Posts

the light control
im nice too dope
mc's wanna bite the flow
the king of rhymes
i shine every single time
my mind cherish sickest rhymes
the profit flow
what the prophet know
every verse everything i drop is dope