Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1725 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,096 Posts
I have this really weird quirk where I like one band but not the off-shoot band, or I like the off-shoot but not the original. Idk what it is but it's happened several times.

Bob Dylan? No, just no. Travelling Wilburys? Hell yes.
Eric Clapton? Meh. Cream? Awesome.
Motley Crue? Hit and miss. Sixx:A.M.? Gods.

And the latest one, which I discovered today:
Misfits? Not my style. Danzig? Listenable in the right mood.

Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Veil Brides. Love them all. Lead singers' solo stuff? Not so much.
Of those, I only like Pink Floyd. I don't like most of Gilmour's solo stuff but I like most of Waters's solo stuff (Although his more recent solo stuff hasn't been that great to me).

I have fairly limited taste in music but more than that (I guess) I have never had much patience for exploring everything that is out there. I am not going to sit down and listen to something that isn't immediately appealing. Most of the stuff I do like, I got into it gradually through stuff I heard on the radio or something. I was never going to go buy an album I'd never heard. I was highly unlikely to listen to stuff even from artists everyone likes if I listened to a couple of their songs and either disliked them or found them to be listenable but not remarkable.

I am more likely to have a fondness for a humdrum song that was heavily played on the radio in the 80s simply because it was free and you kind of had to listen to the radio without skipping stuff. I would often end up liking songs I initially didn't like simply because of repetition.

·
Permanently An Idiot
2,236 Posts
Of those, I only like Pink Floyd. I don't like most of Gilmour's solo stuff but I like most of Waters's solo stuff (Although his more recent solo stuff hasn't been that great to me).

I have fairly limited taste in music but more than that (I guess) I have never had much patience for exploring everything that is out there. I am not going to sit down and listen to something that isn't immediately appealing. Most of the stuff I do like, I got into it gradually through stuff I heard on the radio or something. I was never going to go buy an album I'd never heard. I was highly unlikely to listen to stuff even from artists everyone likes if I listened to a couple of their songs and either disliked them or found them to be listenable but not remarkable.

I am more likely to have a fondness for a humdrum song that was heavily played on the radio in the 80s simply because it was free and you kind of had to listen to the radio without skipping stuff. I would often end up liking songs I initially didn't like simply because of repetition.
That's the beauty of things like Spotify. I can get an artist's full back catalogue and see if I'm interested. I've found a few bands like that and then bought their stuff. But yeah, radio was definitely how I used to do it - although there's always the fear of buying an album based on one song you heard and hating it. I did that with The Zutons. Loved one song, hated the rest of the album :lol

·
customusertitle
745 Posts
Good metal is associated with bad English in my mind. :con

It's also more cringe if it's done live and the lyrics is just too bad. But in my mind I guess I just focus on the music and find some deeper meaning to the lyrics : /

I like this song for the riffs (~ 4:15) but what is this?

To depart is to return
To leave is to stay it is said
To decide is to hesitate
Next decade will wait for me
What does this even mean? To leave is to stay? To decide is to hesitate? Ugh. I hate when they say random stuff like that and I keep thinking if it even means anything.

https://@www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpfILcUdnsw

---

I guess one reason I like French metal (aside from just liking how it sounds in metal) is that I don't need to convince myself some crappy lyrics is actually deep :sigh

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
42,600 Posts
Meet Joe Black (haven't seen it in years,) disappointed me, maybe because when I heard about the concept I overestimated how interesting it would be, I dunno. But Thomas Newman is a really good composer so I still like this:

·
Self isolating from self
3,054 Posts
Meet Joe Black (haven't seen it in years,) disappointed me, maybe because when I heard about the concept I overestimated how interesting it would be, I dunno. But Thomas Newman is a really good composer so I still like this:

Yeah I agree, Thomas Newman is extremely talented. I guess I'd describe a fair amount of his work as having a "haunted melancholy" to it.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
42,600 Posts
Yeah I agree, Thomas Newman is extremely talented. I guess I'd describe a fair amount of his work as having a "haunted melancholy" to it.

Yeah he did a really good job with The Shawshank Redemption and Road to Perdition soundtracks also that one track from American Beauty (I haven't actually even seen that film hah.)

·
Dog in the sun.
455 Posts
How do people not love The Village and Lady in the Water? I'll admit after those, Shyamalan made three really bad films, but after that I enjoyed Split. The Visit was OK. The idea for Glass intrigued me, but I was disappointed when I watched it. But going back to the first two, seriously, they're great! How can people make fun of them?

·
Super Moderator
34,096 Posts
So I was looking at Amazon's video service and noticed there are a lot of things you have to pay extra for even if you're paying for their video service. No thank you! Like I was looking to see how many of my favorite old TV shows I could watch with Prime without paying extra and noticed The A Team isn't free with Prime. Neither is Knight Rider. They can't be serious. Both of these shows were on NBC for free in the 80s. Or even if you wanted to compare it with cable TV, you paid a monthly fee for your cable and you didn't have to pay extra for anything except for the most premium stuff. I don't know. Just seems like a rotten deal to me. Even though I understand cable TV was not generally on-demand like the digital services are now, that was a technological limitation. So something like Amazon Prime Video would be the modern equivalent to old school cable. Except that it isn't.

·
Dog in the sun.
455 Posts
I recently rewatched This is the End and even though it's not necessarily a laugh out loud moment, I think my favorite moment in it (there's a bunch of funny stuff though) is simply hearing Jonah Hill say "Oh, really? Does it compel me? Does it, Jay? Is the power of Christ compelling me? Is that what's happening? Guess what: it's not that compelling." in demon voice. I'm smiling watching it and typing right now. Jonahillisms with a voice filter. I'm so simple.

·
SAS Member
718 Posts
just finished Behind her eyes and I looooooved it

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
42,600 Posts
Man I shouldn't read the comments before listening to stuff they're mostly comparisons between this song and Bring me The Horizon's music, I like some of BMTM's music tracks but I also don't need anything else too similar and it's somewhat boring.

Anyway this is OK, but I'm not blown away. Parts of it just kind of blur together in an uninspired way like the electronic parts aren't interesting to me either.

I dunno what do I want electronic music to sound like though?

Yes. Trying to decide on just one Coil track to link. Lol. Also linking 50%~ of Throbbing Gristle.

edit: or you know obviously

Not really sure how he does it but he can even make something banally ubiquitous like synthpop sound pretty great. Like he just comes into a genre years after it's been killed maybe that's his thing haha like prog rock. He's getting started a little early this time maybe but then again with the lack of cultural movement/hauntology eh nothing amazingly new is likely coming right now.

I think she's a decent vocalist though and I like her energy.

This is more interesting, still something missing.

I think vocally this song from their last album was possibly the best:

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
42,600 Posts
You know I was saying in another thread where I posted a bunch of HIM tracks that I preferred this song these days:

And just heard this one since I've now ended up listening to a bunch of their songs again over the past week:

Haven't heard that one again but it's from the same album, and it's their first one. So I guess a kind of predictable opinion from most people for most bands but yeah kind of like their early work more I think.

But yeah a lot of their other music is good musically anyway, it gets pretty cringy/cheesy lyrically at times though and I guess this has a more raw sound as well.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
42,600 Posts
I'd like to thank the people of this thread:

lol thread reminds me of MSI song lyrics.

I wanna make some babies
I wanna get it on
I wanna make you horny
But I can't get it up
I wanna make some money
But I don't want no job
I wanna make you horny
But I can't get it up
Since I then went and listened to the song and was reading through the comments and saw this from 3 years ago:

I'm playing this at my wedding
But then I clicked on her profile because duh. And not bad.

Hmm there's a song on her band's channel called social anxiety:

·
Dog in the sun.
455 Posts

I don't know, but cool. I love how worked up he gets.

Possibly the best stoner performance ever.

I don't need more Afterlife, no more Afterlife is needed. It should've been just that first season, he got over his existential crisis and got the girl. He's got to get the girl again? Plus the therapist character gains prominence and becomes extremely obnoxious. I don't know what else they're gonna do since the conflict idea for the show was solved at the end of season one. Needless to say, I'll end up watching the third season anyway.

The greatest idea anyone has ever had.

·
Permanently An Idiot
2,236 Posts
Mihai from Kemono Jihen is the most relatable immortal I've ever seen. Learnt everything, read everything, and now he just games all day. I feel like this would totally be me as an immortal.

·
customusertitle
745 Posts
Imagine being treated like royalty 3500 years after your death.
I really liked the orchestra. The parade + orchestra starts at 1:24

timestamped

The good bits are the departure (1:26 to 1:36). It was done a lot better than I expected. The synchronization between the camera, music and people is pretty neat.

My favorite part has to be the Hymn for Isis though (1:43 to 1:51).
It's in ancient Egyptian and my understanding that they tried to get the words and pronunciation as accurate as they could. I've also seen other people saying it's their favorite part.
Also, the singer seems so emotional, you'd think Isis might actually hear her : P
(I'm sure she'll be like: 2000 years is such a long time, why wake me up guys?)
EDIT: I just watched an interview with her and she says it was her dream to sing in that language, so good for her.

O men and gods
In the mountain
She is the only lady
Behold Isis as she give birth of the day
Behold Isis as she is the lady of Ament (west, kingdom of dead). And the two lands
Behold of Isis as she is the eye of Re the great among states
Behold Isis as she gives many gifts to the king of upper and low Egypt.
The arrival starts at 1:57 to the end cannon shots and all.

---

I wonder if souls exist what would these kings be feeling then? It's really weird to think that these are actual people preserved for such a long time. ._.

(Well aside from the fact that they put Hatshepsut and Thutmose III may not like being in the same parade, at least according to some accounts ). I've always had a great affinity for Hatshepsut, so I'm glad she's there. :)
^ Also like her statues, even the bearded sphinx one.

I love the cars though. They blend quite well. I'd want to have one of those for a casket. Also, the music.

Also, people waving at mummies passing by seems like a weird concept. :unsure:

Democracy is overrated. Bring back the god-kings.

---

Okay, I'm posting a video for just the hymn because I keep listening to it.
Here's one with lyrics on screen
I love how they didn't choose the Hellenized version of the name / and words in general, lol. Though a lot of the pronunciation is guess work and has evolved over the centuries any way.

𓊨𓏏𓁐
𓊨
= throne symbol, pronounced "ı͗s"
𓏏 = half loaf of bread "t"
𓁐 =means this word represents a goddess (not pronounced)

My understanding is that it was originally "ı͗s.t" then evolved on and the t was dropped (Ēse ) and then the Greeks made it (Isis)

In the song they chose the "ı͗s.t" pronunciation (00:42 - 00:44)

It's also interesting that she's symbolized by a throne (there seems to be a disagreement as to why). It looks kind of cute/funny the way she was drawn with a throne over her head.

Okay, enough Egyptology for now.

1681 - 1700 of 1725 Posts