Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
2281 - 2300 of 2338 Posts

·
Registered
Crawling out
400 Posts
Finally went and got a checkup. The assistant that saw me before the doctor was pretty nice, but the doctor herself seemed pretty cold. She seemed to want to rush. She tore of a piece of paper from the paper covering the table bed to jolt notes down. What. Yet another healthcare provider that treats their profession strictly as a business. I miss the sense of concern from the doctors I saw as a kid. Those guys did not mess around, and quickly referred me to other places. I guess this is the norm now as an adult male, and I am going to have to get used to it.

·
Super Moderator
10,011 Posts
I miss the sense of concern from the doctors I saw as a kid. Those guys did not mess around, and quickly referred me to other places. I guess this is the norm now as an adult male, and I am going to have to get used to it.
All of the primary care doctors I've had have been like this, with exception of my first one. But of she retired. The good ones never lasts. Ever since, all the doctors I've seen pretty much just avoid eye contact with me and just type down what I say staring at the monitor. Like I am a robot they're running diagnostics on. 😅

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
8,301 Posts
Weight gain due to meds suck. It just does. I dont even know if it's truly causing pre-diabetic symptoms either, because it might. Will have to get a blood test for that. I'm just crestfallen and alarmed. I wish I could see a doctor ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Weight gain due to meds suck. It just does. I dont even know if it's truly causing pre-diabetic symptoms either, because it might. Will have to get a blood test for that. I'm just crestfallen and alarmed. I wish I could see a doctor ASAP.
Well, you will need tests that only a doctor can give (I think) to be 100% sure of it but you can buy a cheap meter and test strips at CVS for about $40. Once you have it, if you eat a meal that has a relatively average amount of carbs, sugar and calories in it, you would check your blood about two hours later. It shouldn't be above 140. I am not sure if that is definitive but if it's worth $40 to you to know at least something in advance, it will give you some idea of whether or not there's a problem.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
8,301 Posts
Well, you will need tests that only a doctor can give (I think) to be 100% sure of it but you can buy a cheap meter and test strips at CVS for about $40. Once you have it, if you eat a meal that has a relatively average amount of carbs, sugar and calories in it, you would check your blood about two hours later. It shouldn't be above 140. I am not sure if that is definitive but if it's worth $40 to you to know at least something in advance, it will give you some idea of whether or not there's a problem.
Thanks. I was panicking a bit there but i think I can stand the wait to see a doctor. I'm just impatient is all. Will update the results when possible.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Thanks. I was panicking a bit there but i think I can stand the wait to see a doctor. I'm just impatient is all. Will update the results when possible.
Also, weight gain isn't the only symptom. I'm T2 diabetic and in the several years before I was diagnosed, the thing I noticed most was I started getting very tired on a regular basis and would just sit here yawning all the time. Even if I slept well and had only been up a couple of hours, it would suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks.

I didn't connect it to the fact that it always happened after I ate carb heavy foods (probably frozen pizza in my case) but now I know. I knew something was wrong because all my life before I had been plagued by chronic insomnia. To the point to where I could stay up for 24 hours, lay down and try to sleep and just lay there awake for ten hours waiting for sleep that never came. Obviously, when I started feeling drowsy all the time and falling asleep the instant I hit the bed, I knew something had changed.

I also had a feeling of general unwellness. Like I can't even describe it. It wasn't psychological. I had no idea it was diabetes. Also, if you are getting itchy rashes you didn't used to get, could be a symptom of it. I was getting these patchy fungal infections and would have to slather myself with antifungal cream. Those gradually stopped happening as I started taking meds and learning what not to eat (anything with bread or bready ingredients like pasta is a big one).

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
8,301 Posts
@WillYouStopDave That mustve been frustrating and scary to not know what is going on with your body. Did you experience frequent urination or thirst as well? I hate that with these meds, it messes up my hunger signals. It makes my body feel off balance usually. I don't have the skin thing, but I did have eczema before taking meds so that's more normal than not..

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
@WillYouStopDave That mustve been frustrating and scary to not know what is going on with your body. Did you experience frequent urination or thirst as well?
You know, to be honest, I don't remember if I specifically noticed that. Because I have had a habit most of my life of always having drinks. If I'm awake, I probably have a can of pop or something nearby. So it wouldn't have surprised me much if I was urinating frequently. And I've never liked having my mouth be dry so I never let it get that way.

I didn't start noticing things until I was literally having what seemed like a constant malaise. Then I was like "Something is wrong here". But actually, my doctor was the one who suggested the check for diabetes. I'm not even sure why. I didn't mention any of the symptoms to him because I didn't have insurance and I was only there for epilepsy meds. I didn't want to destabilize things by sending him on a wild goose chase trying to find something that might not be easy (or cheap) to find.

But one day he just suggested a glucose tolerance test and I went along with it and after a while he was just like "Yep."

I also had the problem where I went from being someone who never had dandruff in my life to having constant snowstorms of flakes raining down from my scalp, my face, my eyebrows. It was freaky. I'd look in the mirror and my eyebrows were just full of white flakes. I could take a comb and comb them out and they'd just keep coming. The itching was just intense and insane. Showering more often and using dandruff shampoo just made it worse. That's the reason I started shaving my head. I had to keep some kind of moisturizer on it at all times

·
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!
4,101 Posts
I've had these stupid rashes that aren't going away (a gnarly one on the left side of my neck and several on my right arm!) at first I thought it was eczema or contact dermatitis for several months. Neither made sense so nearest I can figure it's fungal so I ventured through the...erm...feminine product isle...it was awkward..no dice...so I ventured down the foot care isle and picked up some Canesten cream! The symptoms match a fungal infection so yeah. Here's hoping! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
I've had these stupid rashes that aren't going away (a gnarly one on the left side of my neck and several on my right arm!) at first I thought it was eczema or contact dermatitis for several months. Neither made sense so nearest I can figure it's fungal so I ventured through the...erm...feminine product isle...it was awkward..no dice...so I ventured down the foot care isle and picked up some Canesten cream! The symptoms match a fungal infection so yeah. Here's hoping! :rolleyes:
Yeah. I had a nasty patchy rash on my back and chest that started when I was about 22. I could not figure out what it was for several years until I saw something that looked just like it in a dermatology book at the library.

I eventually started fighting it with Clotrimazole cream. I could tell it was doing something right away but it still took several years to beat it completely because I was inconsistent and it had been going on so long it was over a large portion of my chest and back. Possibly the cause was I used to lay down and drink Coke or Dr Pepper (the kind with sugar/corn syrup) and from time to time, I'd spill some on my chest and not get up and clean it off or change my shirt right away.

Could have also been early stages of diabetes/prediabetes. Either way, I finally beat it with a combination of cream and spray (don't bother with the powder spray as it doesn't work well and is messy).

If you see absolutely no change within a week or so of using the cream on the worst areas, it is probably not fungal. If it is fungal, it will take some work and you'll have to keep applying antifungal for a good while after it's no longer visible or it will come back and you'll have to start all over again. There's a prescription pill for bad fungal infections but my doctor refused to prescribe it because it can be hard on your liver.

·
No hugging, no learning
844 Posts
Gonna have to wear my knee sleeve again for the first time in 7 years. Keep getting sharp pain under my kneecap on days after squatting and treadmill exercises. This only happens when I stand straight later at home, and usually goes away a few days later. But I really don't want to blow my knee out, I've never had any huge injury in 15 years of gym.

·
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!
4,101 Posts
So not only is the rash going away on my neck the rashes on my cheeks are going away! (Finally!) The neck rash was totally fungal and my cheek rashes were eczima! :) They're clearing up finally...WOOT! :)

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
So not only is the rash going away on my neck the rashes on my cheeks are going away! (Finally!) The neck rash was totally fungal and my cheek rashes were eczima! :) They're clearing up finally...WOOT! :)
Just remember. It will likely come back if you don't keep beating it down with antifungal for probably at least another month even after you think it's gone. If there's absolutely anything left of it, that can often be enough to allow it to slowly make a sneaky return. I had so many false victories over mine.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
8,301 Posts
Skin problems are icky. I've had eczema on my arms for years. Thankfully nothing fungal.
Blood tests came back normal which makes me reallh glad but darn did I gain a LOT of weight. I hate dieting but it looks like I'll have to do something than nothing.

2281 - 2300 of 2338 Posts