Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is normal for someone with social anxiety, right? I think i may be bottling up my thoughts and emotions, but how does one release these emotions when speaking about them is all too hard?

I walked inside today and the TV was a little too loud. There was a lady singing or something, but something about this, mixed with the day's events annoyed me...
..anyway, i flapped the crap out of my quilt cover, in the process of making my bed. I then went into a perfectionist like state of mind, and began neatening things in my room. As soon as i'd finished, i seemed ok.

Do you have any non-disruptive techniques at releasing anger? Or, alternatively you could tell us about your experiences with anger. Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I definitely get bursts of anger too. Don't know if it is related to SA or not...

I try to close my eyes and take a few deep breaths then distract myself from whatever made me angry (read a book, watch tv, surf the Internet, whatever distracts my mind). My anger used to get out of control and end up in screaming, swearing, banging/hitting things and tears but I have a much better handle on it now since I made a conscious decision to acknowledge it when it happens and keep it under control.

As crazy as this will sound, what helped me out was that my anger bursts would really scare my two little dogs and I felt tremendous guilt about it! :blush

·
Registered
203 Posts
The anger related to my SA stems from feelings of inadequacy and self-loathing. When i was attending an outpatient program a few months ago I had a violent outburst as a result of something that occured near the end of a group. The therapist asked me what i got out of or learned from the group and I couldn't come up with an answer because I didn't understand the concepts presented. I then started having thoughts like "everyone thinks i'm stupid" and I started to get upset. After the group I went into the restroom and just lost it. the noise was so loud that the program director came inside to see what happened. soon thereafter I was sent into an inpatient unit and stayed there for a day before being discharged.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I have the occasional outburst of anger. I think it's because i keep my feeling inside so much i eventually burst.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Once I got really angwy and I took my ipod and smashed it with a hammer.
When I snapped out of it, I realized what I did, and I decided to punished myself for it by eating only bread and water for one month.
That thought me a lesson and since then I don't break things when I get anwy.

·
Confused
735 Posts
Yeah. Generally when I cant find things, I get incredibly agitated. Last week I put salt in my coffee by mistake, tasted it, got really angry, poured the salty coffee into the basin, then threw the mug against the floor. It felt good.:twisted. Trying to pick up all the shards wasn't fun though. But generally, I get bouts of anger maybe once a month. I build up emotional pressure over a long time, then eventually I 'pop'.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes, I have random bouts of anger. It dissapoints me because it makes me do things or say things that I know is not like me. One of my former coworkers teased me on a bad day, and I called her a ***** in front of everyone in the office...

I really try not to bottle up my anger, otherwise things like that will happen :(. I try to calm myself more now, and talk about it before it gets to the point where I am going to explode like that again

·
Registered
218 Posts
i get angry a lot. a lot of the anger is directed at others, but in reality-i'm angry because i'm insecure. i blame that own insecurity on other people who are making me insecure. for instance, i get angry at my parents for telling me i should wait before i move out of the house, and then i get insecure that i'll never be able to fend for myself or support myself(since even holding a job down in itself is hard for me-with social anxiety issues), and that i'll live with my parents forever.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
a quote from a movie "anger management"

"Dr. Buddy Rydell: Dave, there are two kinds of angry people - explosive and implosive. Explosive is the type of individual you see screaming at the cashier for not taking his coupon. Implosive is the cashier who remains quiet day after day and then finally shoots everyone in the store. You're the cashier."

I think I am a cashier also...

·
Banned
1,593 Posts
Yes, a lot of the time. In fact, if it coincides correctly, it can be over the smallest things, and if it somehow ties to my social skills or experience then yes, anger will rise. In extreme cases loud metal music and certain video games help me :lol

Worst part is I don't make sense when I'm angry, because I'm angry, but SA is preventing me from explaining it to anyone, so it stays inside and boils while I give them gibberish and they don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

a quote from a movie "anger management"

"Dr. Buddy Rydell: Dave, there are two kinds of angry people - explosive and implosive. Explosive is the type of individual you see screaming at the cashier for not taking his coupon. Implosive is the cashier who remains quiet day after day and then finally shoots everyone in the store. You're the cashier."

I think I am a cashier also...
Same here...

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Yes, fits of anger and frustration are part of SA, and anxiety in general.

·
growing up
432 Posts
I do have random bursts of anger mostly at myself for letting my life get this bad. If I think about a better future, I sometimes get upset and depressed, which turns to anger 3/5 times.

·
Bruno
1 Posts
Wow, so I am not alone. Paxil help ALOT!!. My wife makes sure I take it daily. I speak to my anger, and have many internal conversations.

·
Winter is coming
2,650 Posts
I get this allot. I want to just go outside and fight somebody. I kicked a hole in my bedroom door over something stupid. It's borderline pathetic. I hate having rage but I have no idea to get rid of it.

·
Sad Vicious
740 Posts
I have intermittent explosive disorder. I've destroyed everything from cellphones to laptops. Been in trouble with the law a few times too. In my case, I think this contributes to, not caused by, my SA.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I get random bursts of anger too. I think mine comes from all the frustration of dealing with such bad SA and no life. So when something happens that makes me angry I get a burst of conscious anger since I'm usually in my head anyways.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah, I unfortunately have this problem and have no idea how to fix it. Memories, some of them from long ago, will enter my mind at random and I can get so angry I'll wind up punching something. I wish I had more of an outlet. Sometimes I wish I lived out on a farm or something where I could yell, scream and kick anything I wanted without worrying about neighbors.

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
This is normal for someone with social anxiety, right? I think i may be bottling up my thoughts and emotions, but how does one release these emotions when speaking about them is all too hard?

I walked inside today and the TV was a little too loud. There was a lady singing or something, but something about this, mixed with the day's events annoyed me...
..anyway, i flapped the crap out of my quilt cover, in the process of making my bed. I then went into a perfectionist like state of mind, and began neatening things in my room. As soon as i'd finished, i seemed ok.

Do you have any non-disruptive techniques at releasing anger? Or, alternatively you could tell us about your experiences with anger. Thanks.
Yeah I get them, the only way I could expunge these burst were when I was being creative or physical, sports.:|

1 - 20 of 28 Posts