Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R.E.M. just called it quits . . . They were my first favorite band, my first concert, and my first CD. Haven't payed as much attention to them in the past 12-15 years or so, but for a while (especially during my high school years) they were a big part of my life. Later in life (five years ago), I even found myself (by sheer coincidence) living on the same street as Michael Stipe when I was living in Athens, GA for a few months. I never actually saw him, but it was kinda cool nonetheless . . .

Anyway, consider this the official R.E.M. tribute thread. Feel free to post your favorite songs.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This was the first R.E.M. song that I was into, and Automatic for the People ended up being my first ever CD:

Actually, though, this was probably the first R.E.M. song that I knew, as it was the theme song to Get a Life (anyone else remember that show? :lol):

·
Stuck in a lift
278 Posts
They're a good band ... but I suppose there's no point carrying on if you haven't got the drive to do so. They've recorded 15 studio albums and no band lasts forever.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
Funny, I just started really listening to these guys about a month or two ago. Some good stuff. Although for the one half of material that I really liked, the other half didn't click with me yet. I've still got a few more records to go with their discography though. I've also heard they put on a great live show.

Here is a track I really like from them, quite underrated:

·
madly in love
2,433 Posts
they were one of my favorites! i thought their last album was really good. i was lucky enough to have front row tickets to a concert of theirs a few years back.

my fave songs of theirs: pretty persuasion, kahoutek, fall on me, world leader pretend, find the river, new test leper, electrolite, oh my heart

they are a truly iconic band that will be remembered.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
They are also one of my favorite bands. Never got to see them live, but I have every live, studio, and compilation album on my iTunes.

I am listening to them in tribute. Starting with Murmur, one of the greatest albums ever made.

My favorite R.E.M. album is Up, though. There's something about that album that is magical. It shares the name with one of Peter Gabriel's best albums, too.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Radio Free Europe was the first song that I ever heard of theirs, on college radio way back when. It was one of my favorite songs at the time.

I saw them in concert with 10,000 Maniacs back in the late 80's (I think they had released Document) A great show!

·
Stay in your lane!
760 Posts
My mouth dropped when news article said they been together since 1980. I had no idea its been that long, that's all my life! what a shame. I am a sucker for certain vocals and Michael has a unique style that's for sure.

I have memorized all the words to I.T.E.O.T.W.A.W.K.I no point now :no

this one always been one of my favorites:

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
REM are classic, but have run out of ideas and steam. The end was meant to be. I had all their albums in high school, though.

·
madly in love
2,433 Posts
Great videos!

Did you notice how Michael Stipe wasn't a part of the interview in the second video? I've heard that he was very withdrawn in those early years - SA? - and I wonder if this is an incidence of this.
interesting, he came across as being shy/self conscious when he did do interviews... always touching his face and wringing his hands.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
This was always one of my favourites:
Have no idea what it means,as I don't a lot of their stuff but I always found it quite calming...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.