Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking Valium 5mg 3 times daily for 7 years now. I take it with a doctors prescription for social anxiety. I started with 2mg tablets and quickly worked up to 5mg.

Long story short my prescribing doctor is a pill mill doctor. He will not support my want to quit. His wait times are horribly long. It's usually 2 hours wait with an appointment and my last visit was 5 hours. After this visit I decided to change doctors!

Yesterday I seen my new doctor and he seemed not happy about my Valium. I could tell he was not the type of doctor that prescribes controlled substances to every patient like my old doctor. He asked me about taking SSRI's and I explained been there done that, never again.

Getting to the point here he wants me to taper off. He told me to cut my dose in half. Then every 10 days cut back more. I asked him how long would it take to come off completely and he replied as soon as 1 month.

He doesn't want to see me for 6 months. I currently have about 45 days supply taking my full dose. Today is my first day cutting my dose in half.
I should also mention for about 2 years now I have been only dosing once a day around 11am.

I really want off this stuff does anyone think this is too aggressive of a taper? If I can get down to 2.5mg a day for a couple weeks I plan to quit completely. I'm excited and scared at the same time. I would love to hear what people have to say about my situation. Please comment.

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
I'm trying to quit clonazepam (Klonopin) having only been on it about six months. It is a horrible experience. Your old doctor should be reported to the medical authorities - he is evidently reckless and irresponsible with his patients' well-being.

Reactions: iLife
1 - 2 of 2 Posts