Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Soccer.
I got cut from the team as a freshman, only to find out that the position went to a senior exchange student from Norway who didn't even try out!

I never tried out again, instead going for the marching band. Eh, I had fun at the week-long band camp where we learned our halftime show! :lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
i got cut from my high school bball team junior year. i was on the freshman team and jv team the first two years. then they cut me in jr year. didnt even put me back on jv! that hurt my confidence a lot. basketball is one of my favorite things ever. i love watching it. i love playing it. but anxiety has held back my ability at some points. my friends call me Lamar Odom, because they know how good i am, but i am not that aggressive.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
I hated batting but i loved pitching enough to never quit baseball.

But I did quit soccer because of it. I was mediocre at the game so I got uber self conscious around people who were as good at soccer as I was at baseball. so I ended up being the weird meek guy trying out for the team

·
Banned
728 Posts
I quit "soccer" because when i was good, people hyped me up too much.

And when i was low on confidence, people had a go at me.

I've always wanted to try boxing, but my family were always against it, and there are no gyms nearby.

Its a shame, but theres always too much pressure to perform, and too much competition against you.

There is ALWAYS someone that will challenge you (they would come up to me and say they were better than me, even if they were alot worse than me).

Too much disrespect, and too much trash talk in sports.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
I quit basketball and boxing because I started getting anemic, depressed and panic attacks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i made a tough decision to quit the lovely sport of cross country and track. geese, i really did love that sport, but i threw all away because of the social aspects of it, mainly because at my school there would always be sports assemblies and we would have to be announced individually in front of the whole school! sheesh i really hated having to go through that:( but what sucks the most is that you know your good at a sport and walking away from it is one of the hardest things to do because of anxiety.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yep! I'm not giving it up though.

This past year I've really begun to love basketball. I'm not giving up damn it, but during league games I get really bad performance anxiety and I am unable to play to my full potential. I can still handle the ball, shoot, make passes, but they would be a lot more smooth if I didn't have performance anxiety and was relaxed. It is a shame, because I have pretty good handles, good vertical, and I'm very quick.

I like to be the point guard, so I have to handle the ball a lot. It is really discouraging when you're unable to perform to your capabilities.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.