Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work as a front desk clerk at a library. I am around people and dealing with people all the time. My job title is library page even though I am almost always at the front desk. So I only make 6.00$ an hour when all the other clerks are making like 10 or 12. I am sick of this job. And I was wondering, does anyone know how I can quit gracefully? I am thinking about taking a job in a factory but what am I supposed to tell them?? I am quitting their white collar job to take a blue collar job? I am a college graduate. They will probably laugh at me. It's nobody's business what I do. I just don't know how I am supposed to get past that. I mean, everyone will be asking what I'm gonna do. I don't wanna lie. What am I supposed to tell them? :stu :con :sas :thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Write your boss the typical two week notice letter, at the end of such and such date, you will no longer......."Thank you for the opportunity" yada, yada, yada. Other than that tell them nothing.....If someone ask why you're leaving tell them you found something you feel you are going to enjoy more........"More chance of advancement" "More money' (that could (but doubt) get them to notice the discrepancy.....in wages).
Explain for the time being you want to keep what you'll be doing a secret.
There is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING wrong with taking a job in a factory........The only people that would laugh at you are snobs, they may be "Educated" but, they're morons, no class. Some where along the lines, we have it programed in our thoughts "Blue Collar VS White Collar" been both, seen the stupidity on both sides, education does NOT equal any type of superiority, maybe better spelling once you get to the graduate level;-))))

·
Registered
273 Posts
hema and Paranoir are absolutely right. I just want to say I think you're doing the right thing and I hope everthing works out well for you.

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
Dreamy said:
I work as a front desk clerk at a library. I am around people and dealing with people all the time. My job title is library page even though I am almost always at the front desk. So I only make 6.00$ an hour when all the other clerks are making like 10 or 12. I am sick of this job. And I was wondering, does anyone know how I can quit gracefully? I am thinking about taking a job in a factory but what am I supposed to tell them?? I am quitting their white collar job to take a blue collar job? I am a college graduate. They will probably laugh at me. It's nobody's business what I do. I just don't know how I am supposed to get past that. I mean, everyone will be asking what I'm gonna do. I don't wanna lie. What am I supposed to tell them? :stu :con :sas :thanks
Why don't you look into other oportunities at the library? Ask them how you can move into a better position. You're not going to find much in the way of a career at a factory. I worked in a few factories when I was in my late teens and it's a little demoralizing.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'd love to have a front desk job at a library, no matter how little it pays (I don't have a degree anyway). It's my type of work environment. How much work experience did you have before getting that job, Dreamy? I'm pathetic and spoiled and don't have any job experience at my age, so I want to know if I have a chance if I try for a library job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts