Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Nothing is stopping me
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be a very long, drawn out story, but I'm going to shorten it for readers sake. I've been smoking weed for about 4 years now, and it has ultimatly made my SA worse. I had SA beforehand, but after years of avoiding people and getitng high, only hanging with stoners, I feel so disconnected. Today IS the day I'm quitting for good.

The past 6 months I've quit over 8 times, always ending up going back to my old ways. I'm sick of this plant, it has me on a leash and I'm ready to be set free.

So over the next few months, I'm going to post on this thread everyday, Basically documenting how I'm feeling, if SA is diminishing, and what withdrawls I'm having. I'm really looking forward to being clear headed again!

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, I figured it would become a triumph over anxiety, and maybe inspire some stoners on here to quit.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
This could be a very long, drawn out story, but I'm going to shorten it for readers sake. I've been smoking weed for about 4 years now, and it has ultimatly made my SA worse. I had SA beforehand, but after years of avoiding people and getitng high, only hanging with stoners, I feel so disconnected. Today IS the day I'm quitting for good.

The past 6 months I've quit over 8 times, always ending up going back to my old ways. I'm sick of this plant, it has me on a leash and I'm ready to be set free.

So over the next few months, I'm going to post on this thread everyday, Basically documenting how I'm feeling, if SA is diminishing, and what withdrawls I'm having. I'm really looking forward to being clear headed again!

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, I figured it would become a triumph over anxiety, and maybe inspire some stoners on here to quit.
Best of luck to you. I've been mj-free for two weeks now (not exactly by choice). But I don't miss it.

·
who cares..
863 Posts
I'll be getting high as soon as I can, makes the garbage people call life, much, much better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used to really enjoy it... now it makes me seriously tweak. Haven't smoked in over a month.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
It may be one of the best decisions you could make, Miguzi. It will allow you to have a clearer mind. :yes

·
Nothing is stopping me
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying not to beat myself up over this, but I smoked. My old ex gf stopped by unexpectedly and I smoked with her, now I feel like crap again, all dumb and stoned.

I really gotta commit to this quit, maybe make it a new years Resoloution so I can stick to it.

Marijuana makes life harder. why do so many people only talk good about it? There are side effects, lot's of em. Like No REM Sleep is the worst.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Maybe just don't smoke it so often, leave it only for special times.. even if that is only once or twice a year. As they say all in moderation!

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's just not for some people.

I've been smoking for a year and a few months, and my social awkwardness is about at the same level as it was before.

I agree with saving it for certain occasions. I smoke at home when I don't have anything important to do. I'll kick back and play some xbox or watch some TV.

I do smoke with two of my friends though, and I always sit there and don't say much while we're all baked up, but they'll be having an endless conversation. I just don't understand how they can do it. When I'm not high, I'm very unsocial and find it hard to carry conversation, and I'm the exact same while high.

In my opinion, the first two or three days without it sucks, but after that, you don't even miss it.

·
Unplugged
263 Posts
I think everything changes once you have your first negative experience with cannabis. At least that has been the case for me and everyone I know. You become more cautious and wary of the drug, which changes your expectations. You can't help but go back to that bad place upon smoking again. I once had a panic attack whilst smoking, which was easily the most terrifying experience of my life. So whenever I smoke now, the fear of having another one is always present.

I also think personality is a major factor to consider. Us people with SA are probably more likely to have negative experiences. I for one cannot smoke around other people, I get extremely paranoid and think everyone hates me.

·
Endless Redemption
989 Posts
I used to LOVE weed! I had an overnight job where there was no management ever so I would smoke all day and all night. I was stoned pretty much all the time! It started to effect me negatively though.

I would avoid doing anything I needed to like go to the bank or grocery store because I didn't want people knowing that I was stoned. I started to basically become a stoner hermit. Then I started to get really nervous and paranoid while being stoned. Now I don't smoke unless I'm pretty drunk first and someone happens to have some pot on them. This happens less than once a month though.

Good for you for wanting to quit. I feel that for some of us weed is a passing phase and for others it's a lifelong habit. Trust me, after going back enough you're just gonna get completely sick of it and realize that you'd rather just stay sober.

·
Registered
823 Posts
good for you :) realize that there may be bumps in the road but tomorrow is always a new day. keep us posted

·
Registered
488 Posts
I was a chronic smoker and smoked 24/7. I had to give up ALL drugs a while back and i ended up managing 2months with much support. When i messed up, i ended up back smoking too. This,, this was wen i realised how much effect it had on me. My anxiety went thru the roof and my paranoia was extremely high. I have never gone back to the way i used to smoke it coz i do now understand how much it effects me. Still do everything else lol but the smoke for some reason now doesnt agree with me..................even tho i love a good smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!! So now i just really tend to smoke it here and there

Conclusion: chronic smokers, you do not know what it does to you until you stop for a bit and then start again................

AND also - i dont know how i ever used to get anything done - i cant do **** now when i smoke...lol...all i can do is eat sleep and drink...lol thats actully pretty much what i do anyways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

·
Cynical Idealist
1,339 Posts
Don't beat yourself up about making mistakes! Quitting an addiction is a difficult road to walk, it's not shameful if you stumble here and there. What's important is that you don't let one stumble dictate your future. If you believe quitting weed will make your quality of life better, then do everything you can to stick with the plan, especially after you mess up.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I'm trying not to beat myself up over this, but I smoked. My old ex gf stopped by unexpectedly and I smoked with her, now I feel like crap again, all dumb and stoned.

I really gotta commit to this quit, maybe make it a new years Resoloution so I can stick to it.

Marijuana makes life harder. why do so many people only talk good about it? There are side effects, lot's of em. Like No REM Sleep is the worst.
Interesting that you say no REM sleep because I used marijuana to sleep for a long time. But since I've stopped smoking I've been sleeping really well - like zonked out sleep. There are times when I want to do it (like last night) but I've enjoyed having a clear head, which is particularly important right now as I'm trying to deal with some pretty big life decisions.

I'm not eating so much either. I need to lose weight so not acting like a bear who's discovered a campground full of delicious food after I've smoked is a very good thing. :)

·
Nothing is stopping me
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting that you say no REM sleep because I used marijuana to sleep for a long time. But since I've stopped smoking I've been sleeping really well - like zonked out sleep. There are times when I want to do it (like last night) but I've enjoyed having a clear head, which is particularly important right now as I'm trying to deal with some pretty big life decisions.

I'm not eating so much either. I need to lose weight so not acting like a bear who's discovered a campground full of delicious food after I've smoked is a very good thing. :)
Haha I like that analogy. xD Yeah It's interesting the past 6 Days ive been having insane dreams, but in some of them I actually smoke weed and get high in the dream. It's like a subconcious addiction...

But Anyway, I smoked last night because it was the end of 2011, It's now time to quit smoking, for the whole year of 2012. I wan't to see how my brain works without weed. Ive read it takes 6 months to year depending on how much you smoke.

So please help me out, I know i've been saying I will post here more, but this time I'm sticking to it and posting everyday. I figure this will help me quit much easyier, having a little support group :)

Thanks everyone!

·
avast ye landlubbers
2,055 Posts
I've noticed the disruptions to REM sleep, too. But for me, that requires smoking really large amounts, which are for me around an ounce every four weeks.

I'm someone that smokes heavily sometimes, takes breaks of weeks or months in between. I've seen great benefits from smoking - but that will vary with the strain and with the person individual, and the stuff can absolutely do harm if abused. When it comes to quitting.. the only difficulty is in the first day or two, insomnia and loss of appetite may persist for up to a week in the extreme, and I personally haven't had much trouble just putting it out of mind. If it haunts you, keep busy. Stay away from people that smoke for a while, until you stop missing it, which can take a week or two of sobriety. I've found all physiological and emotional effects leave me completely in three weeks or so, not six months.

Good luck miguzi!

·
Nothing is stopping me
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've noticed the disruptions to REM sleep, too. But for me, that requires smoking really large amounts, which are for me around an ounce every four weeks.

I'm someone that smokes heavily sometimes, takes breaks of weeks or months in between. I've seen great benefits from smoking - but that will vary with the strain and with the person individual, and the stuff can absolutely do harm if abused. When it comes to quitting.. the only difficulty is in the first day or two, insomnia and loss of appetite may persist for up to a week in the extreme, and I personally haven't had much trouble just putting it out of mind. If it haunts you, keep busy. Stay away from people that smoke for a while, until you stop missing it, which can take a week or two of sobriety. I've found all physiological and emotional effects leave me completely in three weeks or so, not six months.

Good luck miguzi!
thanks! I'm just curious, what benefits do you get? And why do you go back to smoking?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
In some ways, I want to take a break or at least cut down. But I love smoking way too much. It's probably worthwhile though. There's a lot less BS you have to worry about, paranoid about being arrested or going to find it and stuff. If you at least want to smoke again, finish school, get a job that fits your lifestyle and you can do anything you want. Take it one day at a time because it's easy to get sucked back. I know it sounds weird but attend some NA meetings. You'll meet some cool people who have to remain sober. They'll also know how you are feeling with SA, more than you'll realize at first.

·
avast ye landlubbers
2,055 Posts
thanks! I'm just curious, what benefits do you get? And why do you go back to smoking?
Short answer: because I enjoy it. :D

Long answer: ganja helps me relax, relieves depression and anxiety, inspires me sometimes; I am an artist and it helps overcome the occasional art block, for instance. Though my best ideas and most valuable lessons don't depend on it at all, coming whether I'm high as a satellite or stone cold sober.

That anxiety and depression relief works in both short and long term. Overall, I'm still not well, but I used to suffer much worse. When I was at a very low period, smoking gave me ideas on how to manage those emotions, to reduce their painful intensity. Similar happened with panic attacks; experiencing one while high taught me to make it stop and I went from suffering them often to perhaps one in the past year. These lessons linger. Since then my longest period of sobriety was...four to five years, I don't remember exactly, and I did not relapse. What happened here was psychedelic therapy, done with a good dose of hashish instead of the usual psychedelic.

Another reason is, I like experimenting with the effects of various strains. There is one there which gives not much of a high at all, being rich in CBD and low in THC, a perfect relief for insomnia. There is one out there which simply took a huge chunk out of my social phobia. The therapeutic potential is obvious. Smoke, go talk to people, continue doing this with progressively lesser doses until the chemical aid can be removed completely. I would LOVE to find that one again, but the illegal status of the plant makes this sort of research difficult.

And of course I enjoy the high. No matter what strain the effects are good. The altered state is a very welcome break from everyday life. However..the differences between strains are washed out by overuse, likewise most of the subtler effects. I have reduced myself to a dull-witted couch potato through smoking too much, but the plant demands more respect than that.

·
Nothing is stopping me
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can relate to what your saying vague, but when I smoke I don't always enjoy the high. Most the time I get very depressed and start thinking about my life and what i've done wrong, and not to mention makes my Socia Anxiety go through the roof... I woul like to find a strain that relieves SA... I've had weed one time that did and it was amazing, although it might have just been the mindset I was in. So far this my 5th day sober from weed, and I really don't miss it.. but my mind will wander and sometimes find it's way back to wanting to smoke, even though I know I wont enjoy it. When I smoke I LOOOVE the first 20 minutes and then it's just a comedown that sucks, I get tired, introspective and lazy and depressed.

But anyways, I've felt better as far as my energy levels, but I've had MORE Social anxiety since I havent been smoking. Its easier to talk to people when Im permafried for some reason, maybe because it makes me more stupid. I Know that contradicts my other statement, its more like I cant talk to people high, but when I comedown it's easier to.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts