Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a drink in a little over two days, I guess. I'm afraid there may be something up with my heart or blood pressure. I was thinking it was alcohol induced cardiomyopathy, but it could be hypertension. The area just below the center of my chest seemed to have a strange feeling/rhythm. At the least it may have been from anxiety and too much caffeine, but I do think the alcohol played a significant role. Anyway, it seems to have faded and I'm glad. I'm pretty much not touching alcohol for a while, and maybe a very long while, possibly forever. It stinks because I do appreciate a good beer and will spend $10+ on a 4-pack of craft brews here and there. It's not always just chugging cheap cans. I just can't do it in a solely "appreciative" manner, it seems. It's not that I will drink all day, but I will start at 2 or 3 sometimes. I will look forward to drinking. It's something to do and I got used to just drinking beers every evening/night. People seem to like it when I drink and talk. I think I am belligerent and obnoxious. I am a lot quieter now, I've noticed. I was already feeling content being by myself, but now I almost want to be alone even more. Being drunk made me talkative. Of course, I can't remember half of what I ever said.

So, any other former drinkers here or anyone trying to quit. I know odun stopped.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I quit drinking for 11 years, I started again last year but I can drink socially now where I couldn't before.

Good luck quitting I know how hard it is. :)

·
Super Beaver
8,033 Posts
i've been trying to quit myself. the amount of vodka i was going through on a nightly basis was insane. it was to the point i was throwing up, passed out or blacked out most every night. i couldn't exactly afford a $70 a week vodka habit so had to buy it with credit cards. it's been super hard because it's the only way i was able to go out into the world and do things. now i'm pretty much home bound, but it is nice have energy and not constantly feel sickly.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I got totally wasted last night.
Now when i even think of rum or beer or wine I feel sick to my stomach.
So I'm quitting too.
I'll save money not drinking too !

·
Still Running
387 Posts
I used to drink a lot too. I was more social when I was drunk, and talkative. The problem was that all the fun I was having been more fun for my so-called friends who had a lot of fun at my expense because I constantly made a fool of myself. I still drink on occasion with my sister and her husband and enjoy a few drinks and laughs, but I will never drink like I did before. When you go through a third of your weekly pay on booze and get humiliated on a regular bases, it just doesn’t seem worthwhile.

·
Registered
609 Posts
alcohol can be beneficial in lower doses but once i start drinking alot, everything just feels sloppy and dull....bottom line, alcohol is a garbage drug imo..

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
It's hard, but in reality, you are handling SA the right way in not using it.
If you are to work on your CBT-type stuff now, the changes are more permanent :).

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's hard, but in reality, you are handling SA the right way in not using it.
If you are to work on your CBT-type stuff now, the changes are more permanent :).
No, I don't really drink to deal with my SA. My SA tends to shine through no matter what. I just drink to drink, because I can, because it's something to do.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
because it's something to do.
Ya that's the way it was for me too, or I'd just woke up, or a football game was on, I'd just finished dinner...

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
Yes I had a serious alcohol issue. What stopped me drinking so much was the situations I was getting into - banned from bars, in bad company, saying inappropriate things at house parties/weddings/restaurants.

I still drink now and again, but I have made a rule that I now drink what you call in America 'stout' in the form of Guinness. This sits better with me and I enjoy the drink more.

I stay away from any liquer (spirits like vodka, scotch, etc) and no shots.

·
Grind
2,433 Posts
I've quit drinking...

It was a personal decision for me. I would go to bars or whatever, and I saw drunk people alot, and it just wasn't fun anymore. Then as time went by, I noticed how it changed pretty much everybody I knew. I'm not saying it changes everybody in general, but I'm just not a fan of drunk nonsense...

Then it's like, 'I was drunk, I didn't know what I was doing.' But every time you get drunk it's the same excuse, so in actuallity you do know...

It just got old to me, and I still have dreams I'de like to persue...

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
Does anyone else find that after drinking for the next two or three days you'll feel the need to urinate at night when you're sleeping which disturbs sleep and then it goes away and you're back to normal, not having to piss at night?
PM me if you do, I just want to find out if it's normal or not. I know all the electrolytes and water balance goes out of whack so it makes sense but I want to hear of other people having the problem.

That's one of the thing that turns me off drinking.

·
4,175 Posts
BeNice, how is that coming along? It's somewhat of a shock to me knowing how you love your beer but I guess it shouldn't be. I've been over-drinking recently and it might get bad if I don't limit myself soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts