Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was on Klonopin (1-2 mg) for three years for anxiety and sleep. Recently, I decided to get off of the medication because I felt like it was impairing my cognition. Additionally, I felt a severe withdrawl-like feeling that occurred on a nightly basis before taking the medication (I only took it at night). While the symptoms are kind of hard to describe - It somewhat felt like I was tense, agitated, and anxious..also, my heart beat kind of went up. While on it, I felt like life was euphoric - however, I also experienced moderate depression.

Alright, so..I went through Benzo hell (starting in October 2013) up until February (2014) when I completely stopped (I gradually tapered). In the mean time, I went to a psychiatrist who prescribed Lexapro (5 mg), Remeron (15 mg). After taking the medication - I began to feel even more anxious. I know that it is a common symptom in the beginning, however, instead of having "bursts" of anxiety - it felt like a lingering effect. Moreover, my doctor suggested that I should up the Remeron (to 30 mg) and Lexapro (to 10 mg). My anxiety became EVEN worse..so back to Lexapro 5 mg.

In an interesting turn of events..I am now on Remeron (30 mg), Lexapro (10 mg), and even Propanoral (10 mg). My doctor said that I didn't experience benzo withdrawal at all..and that, I in fact, had a panic disorder the entire time. She said that what I perceived as being benzo withdrawal was actually an underlying condition that was always there. Weird, right?

So here I am, all medicated up (despite my initial battle to get off medication..via the benzos) with symptoms including being constantly in "flight mode", I am easy to startle, if I am not anxious..I don't feel really sad nor happy..and most of all..sudden tinnitus..which I never had before. I am confused...I really do not know what to do..

In retrospect, since I still get that "night time" anxiety, I am not really sure if I was suffering nightly withdrawal from the benzos. Additionally, I was on benzos for the entirety of my masters programme and I did fine (I graduated with first class honours from a very (very!) reputable university in the UK). So I am not sure if cognitive impairment was an actual "thing". Were my fears legitimate? What is going on? Do you think it might be best for me to go back on benzos? Have you experienced this before?...I mean, yeah, I still suffered from depression..but at least I was happy overall and could still function. I now feel like an anxious wreck who is also somewhat apathetic! Please help.....:eek:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Antidepressants in themselves can certainly help with depression and anxiety. However they can for some people be ineffective for anxiety and leave the person feeling apathetic and less motivated to do things. I've always liked clonazepam a lot more than any antidepressant I've ever been on. Not just because it actually works, but because it doesn't leave me feeling apathetic. Especially when taken at night to avoid daytime drowsiness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stopped taking benzos because I believed that I was experiencing withdrawal every night (directly before) I was scheduled to take them. Like, I felt something akin to a nicotine withdrawal if I didn't take one within 24 hours. Moreover, I felt frightened that the medication would cause cognitive dysfunction. Since I am an academic, that bit kind of made me nervous (although, as stated earlier..I did very well regardless).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure if its true or not..(the cognitive impairment). Nor am I even sure if I was actually experiencing a form of withdrawal only 24 hours after taking my last dose. Does anyone have any insight into the matter?

After stopping the benzo and going on the other medications..I suddenly developed tinnitus and a bit of a heightened "flight mode" response. Is this heard of? My doctor said that I actually did not go through benzo withdrawal...that the symptoms I developed were actually part of an underlying panic disorder. However, I have never had a panic attack..ever. Nor have I ever had tinnitus

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Antidepressants don't match the relief of benzos.Why quit them.
Because "experts" say that benzos are for short-term use only and we must follow the advice of "experts" even if they tell us to run off a cliff. After all, they are "experts."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ultrashy..what are your experiences like? have you ever noticed withdrawal between doses or slight cognitive impairment?

I chose to get off of benzos because I believed that it was the right thing to do. I am just trying to figure out if I was right..

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I took diazepam continually for a long while (maybe a year?) and noticed cognitive dulling. I was just starting graduate school and my grades were suffering. I had to taper off. Mild cognitive impairment and blunted affect are known side effects for some people when using benzos for a long time.

In my opinion it was a good idea to try something else. For all you know, the cognitive problems could have worsened, or transformed into a depressive state.

However... In your place what I would want - this is not a recommendation - is to try a different benzo. Perhaps diazepam. I found diazepam to have less depressiogenic qualities. No idea why. But sometimes that does the trick. The UK may have some other benzos that are popular, I don't know.

Try a different long acting benzo and take it nightly. Or take it 2x/day, mostly of it at night. If I am still depressed then I can keep one of the antidepressants, preferably Lexapro since Remeron can cause a lot of weight gain.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
In retrospect, since I still get that "night time" anxiety, I am not really sure if I was suffering nightly withdrawal from the benzos. Additionally, I was on benzos for the entirety of my masters programme and I did fine (I graduated with first class honours from a very (very!) reputable university in the UK). So I am not sure if cognitive impairment was an actual "thing". Were my fears legitimate? What is going on? Do you think it might be best for me to go back on benzos? Have you experienced this before?...I mean, yeah, I still suffered from depression..but at least I was happy overall and could still function. I now feel like an anxious wreck who is also somewhat apathetic! Please help.....:eek:
In my experience SSRIs always made me agitated and apathetic at the same time. They do **** for anxiety in my experience. Even my current anti-depressant only helps with mood not anxiety.

TBH I can't see how a low dose of clonazepam would have worse cognitive impairment than mirtazapine, escitalopram and propranolol combined. I bet that combination, especially the mirtazapine, dopes you up way more than the clonazepam ever did.

Good luck getting the psychiatrist to put you back on a benzo though...... her next step will probably be to mix in an atypical antipsychotic, they seem to love to do that these days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, one thing I am wondering about is whether I even experienced noticeable "cognitive impairment" since I did very well at uni. Perhaps the dose was so low that it wouldn't even make a difference?

However, I am still wondering about this "nightly withdrawal"..Benzo users..do you experience withdrawal symptoms between dosage intakes?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get back on Benzos, all that other crap is causing the anxiety. I have made the same mitsake myself before. Quit that juml that so-called medrcine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, one thing I am wondering about is whether I even experienced noticeable "cognitive impairment" since I did very well at uni. Perhaps the dose was so low that it wouldn't even make a difference?

However, I am still wondering about this "nightly withdrawal"..Benzo users..do you experience withdrawal symptoms between dosage intakes?
I'm taking benzos and studying at university at the moment and I find the benzo has actually helped because it switches off the anxiety long enough to actually get some work done....

·
Registered
12 Posts
You are probably still experiencing benzo withdrawal. It can last years.
Doctors don't know anything. They just want to feed you pills.

Benzos will **** u up eventually. They MASSIVELY effect cognition. Most people that take them have no idea how impaired their thinking actually is. Also, most of the people on this site that take benzos don't realize they are making their anxiety way worse than it is. After long term use benzos start creating this paradoxical reaction and anxiety and panic attacks become more frequent as your GABA receptors get down regulated.

There is always a price to pay for relief in a pill like that.
I've been in benzo withdrawal for the last 2 years. My body and mind are destroyed. The suffering is indescribable.

Do not go back on benzos whatever u do.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Benzos will **** u up eventually. They MASSIVELY effect cognition. Most people that take them have no idea how impaired their thinking actually is.
I can't even respond by saying my thinking isn't impaired by over a decade of benzo use because that decade of heavy benzo use has so severely impaired my thinking that I have no clue as to how terribly impaired it is.:roll

All of you guys can read my posts. Do they look like they were written by somebody with impaired mental abilities?

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Although you, Karl, haven't apparently suffered any cognitive side effects, many have including me.

I would hope most people are able to put together a coherent sentence or paragraph. Having cognitive side effects doesn't make one a blithering idiot. But it does have an effect on short term memory for me and I am getting tired of forgetting things.

Cognitive side effects of benzos usually have to do with memory as benzos bind to your GABA receptors in your brain. It's not a drug to be taken lightly--no drug should be. No drug is harmless.

As for the OP I fail to see the point of getting off one drug and ending up on three and feeling far worse. I am currently tapering off Klonopin and refuse to take anything in the meantime. I am just slowly microtapering. I should be benzo free by the fall.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
And I do believe you are one of the rare ones, Karl, that doesn't suffer from benzo tolerance or side effects. You are truly lucky and I only wish I had been that lucky. Most people do not react like that to benzos.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
And I do believe you are one of the rare ones, Karl, that doesn't suffer from benzo tolerance or side effects. You are truly lucky and I only wish I had been that lucky. Most people do not react like that to benzos.
I'm hardly one of the lucky ones. I also don't get any significant anxiety relief from benzos. You can read how poorly benzos worked for me in my "Benzo Failure" poll: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f30/benzo-failure-917609/

I encourage everyone who hasn't yet voted to please vote & leave a comment there on their experience.

Thanks,
Karl

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I meant lucky in the respect to not have the nasty side effects, the tolerance where it stops working, and the subsequent hellish withdrawal.

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
I've never experienced any withdrawals with benzos and i've gone through regular periods where i stop taking them for a month or 2 when i'm not going through a particularly rough patch and never experienced any withdrawals. I have had 'bouts with heavy narcotics and know what withdrawals feel like. I'm sure people experience mild withdrawals but not to the extent people are making them out to be, unless they have been heavily abusing them. I really doubt 2 mg of klonopin is the source of your new found anxiety...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts