Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in therapy, my therapist will ask me a question, I"ll answer one or two words and she'll just be silent for several seconds, look at me with this intent expression, then she'll ask me another question. It gets VERY uncomfortable, and irritating! After one particularly long silence today, she asked me what I was thinking about. Huh?? I said I was wondering why she was being so quiet! She's like, I was waiting to see if you'd say anything else. Gee thanks.

Does she think she's being helpful by staring at me??

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had many therapists who acted in very similiar ways. Probably more than half of all my therapy sessions combined were spent in silence. There was not much for them to do but stare and write some notes here and there. When I did manage to look back at my therapists, they looked at me like I was some sort of freak or something. That made me more uncomfortable and not want to talk even more. So, I just hung my head a lot. To me, therapy was a waste of money and time.

Sadly, I think a lot of therapists don't know what to do with socially anxious people. I've made much more progress by reading books and doing the audio series by Dr. Richards than going to therapy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts