Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
So i've been relatively happy for the past few months, with no social anxiety due to psychedelics and general events. Im falling back into that place again though and i really dont want to go back. I've been smoking heaps, and i want to quit.

Im going to my pdoc today and i thought i would hit two birds with one stone and try get Zyban prescribed, only problem is im 17, and the only wellbutrin available in australia is to quit smoking.

Is it legal to provide a 17 year old with smoking cessation meds?
If it isn't, that would be incredibly stupid.

·
Fluctuating
1,353 Posts
I feel like it would be appropriate for a doctor to provide you with the treatment. However if there is anything in the CMI stating that the drug is for use in Adults only then there might be an issue.

http://www.gsk.com.au/products_prescription-medicines_detail.aspx?view=32

Now, as the Glaxo product isnt 'recommended' for individuals under 18, i think it falls under the same scenario as prescribing for 'off label' use.

Your best bet is to talk to your doctor. Furthermore, you might even get refused the med as its contraindicated for anyone with mental health issues here in Australia.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Sure.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel like it would be appropriate for a doctor to provide you with the treatment. However if there is anything in the CMI stating that the drug is for use in Adults only then there might be an issue.

http://www.gsk.com.au/products_prescription-medicines_detail.aspx?view=32

Now, as the Glaxo product isnt 'recommended' for individuals under 18, i think it falls under the same scenario as prescribing for 'off label' use.

Your best bet is to talk to your doctor. Furthermore, you might even get refused the med as its contraindicated for anyone with mental health issues here in Australia.
Its used for mental illness though..
How expensive is it?

·
Fluctuating
1,353 Posts
Its used for mental illness though..
How expensive is it?
Not here it isnt.

In Australia it is only indicated as a quit smoking aid.

It is refused to people with any mental health concerns...

If you read the Australian CMI there is no reference whatsoever in its use for treating depression. Compare that to the American version Wellbutrin and you will notice substantial differences.

The TGA does not recognize this medication in Australia as an Antidepressant.
Only as a quit smoking aid.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not here it isnt.

In Australia it is only indicated as a quit smoking aid.

It is refused to people with any mental health concerns...

If you read the Australian CMI there is no reference whatsoever in its use for treating depression. Compare that to the American version Wellbutrin and you will notice substantial differences.

The TGA does not recognize this medication in Australia as an Antidepressant.
Only as a quit smoking aid.
I know it isn't, im just saying it cant possibly be contradicted in people with depression if its used as an antidepressant overseas..

·
Fluctuating
1,353 Posts
I know it isn't, im just saying it cant possibly be contradicted in people with depression if its used as an antidepressant overseas..
Something to take up with the TGA.

I personally think its a f...... joke.

Reactions: jim_morrison

·
Fluctuating
1,353 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
On Wellbutrin XL Zyban in Australia

I got my doctor to prescribe it for smoking cessation here in Australia he was fine for it although didn't have much knowledge of it's use for mental health issues but was happy to go with me on it. I think you get 3 months covered by PBS for smoking and then it's on a private script which costs about $60 p/month I think we calculated so if it works for you it's F' all really...

Oh and having bought some generic buproprion XL from the net there is a huge difference in quality of side effects/ benefits. Stick with the brand name ZYBAN in Australia and im sure the same goes for the generic versions in the rest of the world....

·
Registered
379 Posts
I was prescribed it here in Australia by my doctor for depression, off label though of course.. it was expensive stuff though but I had private health which paid $50 of it.
There is nothing stopping your doc prescribing it off label to you. The gov nor chemist will know or care why he has prescribed it to you, it's only certain controlled meds they care about.
(oops just realized how old the thread is, oh well useful info for anyone in the future I guess)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts