Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
That's over my head. These days. Old man.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

how the **** can you not know how to do that in your head or let alone on a computer?

i don't want to hurt you personally but the only way improvement is possible is through criticism. If people are afraid to be critical of each other things will never improve. criticism is not mean but beautiful as it is the beginning of improvement.
Not everyone has the confidence in their abilities with maths and proportions - everyone's different. You need to relax.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think it's interesting how different people do it. Someone up there said they changed 2.5% into 1/40 and so divided 40000 by 40. That's pretty sensible and quick, but the first step isn't totally obvious is it? I mean yes, if you think about it... 10% is a tenth, so 5% is a twentieth and so on, but it didn't leap out at me.

I did it by dividing 40000 by 100 to get 1%, (400) then doubling it, (800) and adding a half, (200) to get 1000.

Anybody do it a different way?

·
alien love gardener
3,526 Posts

how the **** can you not know how to do that in your head or let alone on a computer?

i don't want to hurt you personally but the only way improvement is possible is through criticism. If people are afraid to be critical of each other things will never improve. criticism is not mean but beautiful as it is the beginning of improvement.
Hells yh! I like to help random people improve themselves by going out and telling them how stupid and ugly they are every day. Then I spit in their faces to provide them with extra motivation. It's so ****ing beautiful.

I think it's interesting how different people do it. Someone up there said they changed 2.5% into 1/40 and so divided 40000 by 40. That's pretty sensible and quick, but the first step isn't totally obvious is it? I mean yes, if you think about it... 10% is a tenth, so 5% is a twentieth and so on, but it didn't leap out at me.

I did it by dividing 40000 by 100 to get 1%, (400) then doubling it, (800) and adding a half, (200) to get 1000.

Anybody do it a different way?
I took 25% of 40,000 rather than 2.5%, then took a zero off the result to account for the decimal place I'd moved.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i agree with fruitcake and catcharay
thebadshepard states 'improvement is possible is through criticism'
imho people get defensive when criticised and stop listening
improvement comes from growth, support and empowering an individual.
Intelligence is not what you know at this particular second, its the ability to learn skills and adapt them to your life (doesn't have to be academic skills)
thebadshepard,could please explain what you hoped to achieve with your reply, if you hoped nubly would improve his maths skills, why didn't you show any working out of the problem posted?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts