Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
this is my first time posting on this forum and after doing about an hour or so of searching around seems to be the only one that could actually help me out with the questions that I have.
Today I decided it was time for me to say something to my boss about the changes that have been going on with me in the past couple of months. (The reason I'm saying boss is because I am in the military and with the topic of ADD/ADHD comes into play you have notify them). As of late I've noticed my attention span seems to be dwindling ever so slightly more and more as the days have been going on, and that I have found myself while in the middle of doing my work will just unconciously stop and go off into some random thought inside my mind and completely forget what I was doing. I've also had a few embarassing moments when talking to my boss and I can't pay attention to what he is telling me, or keep something in my short term memory for more than five minutes. The final issue I will bring up is I've also noticed that I'm not as open with people as I once was. I've found myself at parties where I'll just sit somewhere and hide away on the world that is my cellphone, too afraid to say anything to any of the people around me...
Now I will say that during my tenth and eleventh grades in highschool I was put on a low dose of adderall to help counter a lot of the problems that I had. But once I reached my senior year I noticed that I didn't have take that low dosage on a daily basis, and eventually weeded it out of my life. It wasn't until now that these symptoms have been coming back, and some days they seem worse than what they were when I was younger.
My questions to anyone out there.. I've done a lot in the past couple years, mostly to burn out my past memories of when I was actually seeing a pyschologist in highschool but if I bring up these issues to an army psychologist would it be possible to be prescribed some type of ADD/ADHD medication to help this?? Or will he just look at me as some type of pill junkie? Also, is what I have now what some people call Adult ADD/ADHD? I apologize to all if I seem very stupid on this subject when having prior use of it but I try not to think back on the time in my life when the doctor told me I had ADHD..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could anyone possibly pm me than?

·
Registered
271 Posts
if I bring up these issues to an army psychologist would it be possible to be prescribed some type of ADD/ADHD medication to help this?
Anything is possible..since no one here can read minds its hard to tell what he/she will say

Or will he just look at me as some type of pill junkie?
Who cares what they think.. if your sick your sick.

Also, is what I have now what some people call Adult ADD/ADHD?
Could be, especially since you've taken meds for this in the past. Once you've taken stimulants, its hard to stop and most of the time things don't get better on there on.
Something you might consider is PTSD or depression, both of which can effect your memory.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
if I bring up these issues to an army psychologist would it be possible to be prescribed some type of ADD/ADHD medication to help this?.
If you live in the states of Louisiana or New Mexico the psychologist can prescribe medication if he or she has a background in psychopharmacology.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be, especially since you've taken meds for this in the past. Once you've taken stimulants, its hard to stop and most of the time things don't get better on there on.
Something you might consider is PTSD or depression, both of which can effect your memory.
I thought at first that some of these problems might've been assosicated with Iraq since I got back about half a year ago, though there was nothing there that truely tramatized me so much. I am ever so lucky for that...
Today I called and scheduled an appointment to see a psychologist. I'm supose to go in sometime next week. The lady told me I will be taking a small screening test before I talk with the actualy doctor. Would it be wise to bring up my past history with ADD? The only reason I am bringing that up is since I thought I "grew out of it" my senior year and stopped using my adderall I felt no need to notify the army of my past history with this mental state. So there is nothing on record stating that I was prescribed it, and I am currently not in contact with my parents to get any proof. Though, I really don't see the army digging too deep into something like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts