Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a super-nervous and socially anxious person. I'd like to go to my uni's GLBT group next year, but this is a very big and scary step for me. (Hell, I've been worrying about what it'll be like every day since I had the idea, and it makes me feel sick just thinking...)

I'd like people who've been to please share with me what it might be like. I think it'll help me calm down about the idea. Any other related advice will be appreciated too.

·
Pervy Ranger #8
772 Posts
There's a local group for 13-25s here, for the queer youth. I've been to their place once for a movie night. Otherwise they had support groups and meetings to discuss policy. They were very nice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, I haven't been to one myself (mainly because of schedule conflicts). I'll probably try to attend a few this year. But I have talked to a couple of people who have gone to a few meetings at my university.

First, not everyone who goes to the meetings are gay, so apparently it's a pretty accepting environment. They are involved in political things around campus and raising awareness while also helping people come to terms with their sexuality. They also meet up off campus with parties, events, fundraisers, karaoke, etc.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
It's a great way to find friends/more who are gay/bi/lesbian/etc. Mine has changed recently - it used to be a sort of dinner club where we'd meet and talk for an hour or so, and then go to dinner together. Really nice, accepting atmosphere. Now it's much more about action, so I've kind of fizzled out on it and only go every once in a while (yes, I know, I'm a horrible person).

Oh, and if it's a pride group, it's going to be overwhelmingly GLBT. But if it's a gay-straight alliance, there will be open minded straight people there also who are generally very nice and I highly recommend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts