Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on Effexor XR for a while now first at 37mg then gradually to 75, but recently the effects completely wore off so I'm adding another 75mg to my dose, Now I know my doses were fairly low and that's normal but I read somewhere that this will happen alot that I will need to up my dose every couple months this doesn't sound great to me considering my SAD has a big affect on me and it would suck for my meds to stop working on my SAD every couple of months

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience using Effexor XR with another anxiety med like I was thinking maybe having a medication solely for SAD while using Effexor XR?

Btw, I have Depression/GAD/SAD

**EDIT** when my Effexor XR is working properly my SAD is reduced by a lot, and all the physical symptoms.. if I didn't have to up my dose with effexor and it never wore off I'd be fine.

Thanks. : )

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
At the 75 mgs your on, Effexor is functioning selectively on your Serotonin, thus positively helping you with your social phobia, however if you up your dose to 150 mg, Effexor will lose its selectivity and start to also target Noradrenaline, bringing on a new set of effects and side effects. Whilst Noradreneline (in addition to serotonin) can be of benefit in alleviating depression, it can also exacerbate anxiety. Therefore, the way in which Effexor works is suited more to anxiety at low doses (whilst it's selectivly more akin to the SSRI's), and more to depression at high doses (Where it functions as an SNRI.)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Also one thing I noticed when I was on it, was the difference in effectiveness between the main brand and generic. I started on the main brand of Effexor which worked relatively ok then when I went to collect my meds one day it was some other generic brand and when I started taking it, I immediately felt like it wasn't working as well before I even thought it was because of the generic brand. Then, I read in various other forums that this does indeed happen with Effexor and that some of the other brands just aren't as good. Similar things have been said about Bupropion and Paxil.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think it should work pretty good with the main brand stuff, I never really figured this out until I came off it while using the generic. Same can be said with Paxil, I had a very good experience using the main brand stuff, and then one day my pharmacy decided to give me the cheaper generic stuff and I definitely believe this contributed to the ineffectiveness of Paxil thereafter.

So my point is, try and insist on the main brand stuff and hopefully you will see a big improvement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts