Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have SA, and two kids. My son, who is 4, is already showing some signs that he is going to be me, but my daughter is like my husband who is insanely social. With my son I could tell when he was 2 that he was going to be like so I chose to start him in a few days of preschool at the age of 3. He goes 2 hours a day, 3 days a week, and in a year he was more like my husband. He still has his moments of being shy, but he is nothing like he use to be. I'm sure he will always struggle with being shy but I'm teaching him at a young age to be outgoing and not fear his peers like I do.

Try to marry someone social, then they can do everything you are afraid of doing due to your anxiety :D hehe

·
Inactive Member
574 Posts
I'm not that worried about the genetic side of it (I believe you can overcome a genetic predisposition to SA if you don't have any traumatic experiences to trigger it), it's more that my anxiety and depression would have made me an astonishingly sucky parent. I know what it's like to be parented by people with extreme anxiety and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You know, both my parents are a little more reserved, but i wouldnt even consider them having SA. I have severe SA, but my two kids, not one bit. They force me to be social at times I dont want to be LOL.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
SA isn't inherited. It's more of a learned ability. So you most likely have it if you have a troubled childhood, strict parents, or your parents had some form of SA. For me, when I have a kid(s), I'll show them the attention that I never got when I was a kid, and be a good father to them. Be active, be participating, be supportive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts