Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is modafinil a reasonable add-on to a SSRI against unipolar depression? Or would it be risky? I read modafinil itself can cause depression as side effect. And what does modafinil do? How does it feel? Is it stronger than amphetamines or ritalin? And is it addictive? For example when you start taking Moda will you depend on it and have to take it daily? That would suck.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It's a very safe drug. Many Airline pilots are known to take it. I take it myself. It's a solid stimulant. It can help a little with mood. Also will help with motivation, concentration, and give you energy. Tolerance really isn't much of an issue as compared to other stimulants. I try and take some days off of it though just to avoid any possible development of tolerance. Don't think it has much addiction potential, if any.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
It is an enyme inducer so you may have to raise levels of other drugs you are taking. I believe anything metabolized by cyp 3a4 which includes a lot. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

It helps you stay awake n stuff. I don't think it is very addictive.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read in a psychopharmacology book that it has many side effects. This is strange. Could this be mixed with lexapro? And what do you even get this for? Is this allowed for adhd in the US or what do you officially take it for?

·
Registered
262 Posts
It is an enyme inducer so you may have to raise levels of other drugs you are taking. I believe anything metabolized by cyp 3a4 which includes a lot. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

You have some knowledge mate. Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts

As in the the same enzyme Nardil / Maoi would reduce?

·
Registered
851 Posts

Hmm I've always heard that it can be used as an augment to other medications. So it will actually make other antidepressants less effective? I've found it helps a little with mood

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
As in the the same enzyme Nardil / Maoi would reduce?
No, they are different. maois inhibit monoamine oxidase.

Cyp enzymes occur in the liver and metabolize drugs. More cyp enzymes = faster metabolism of drug.

Iwillovercomeanxiety1 said:
Hmm I've always heard that it can be used as an augment to other medications. So it will actually make other antidepressants less effective? I've found it helps a little with mood
It just means a potential alteration of dosage (a dose increase, to compensate. For example,if you add modafinil to Zoloft, maybe you need to bump up the Zoloft a little to keep up.). I should note i am not sure how significant the interaction is, and it is possible that the difference is not significant enought to make any dose changes. But it is worth keeping the potential in mind. Someone may know more about this.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP3A4

Look at "substrates" column for potentially affected meds. Many are antibiotics, blood pressure meds, hormones, benzos, antidepressants, statins, etc.

Modafinil can still be a useful augmentation agent, i dont mean to say it isn't. Good for alertness, cognition, and positive mood.

You just have to check with the pharmacist or doctor.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does it have many side effects? I heard it can also cause steve johnson's syndrome. This is scary.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Does it have many side effects? I heard it can also cause steve johnson's syndrome. This is scary.
naa for me some stomachacid and felt abit flushed in the face at higher doses...

Steven Johnsons syndrome is listed as unfrequent same as on my Vyvanse medicin... But yeah that would be nice...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it possible to say how modafinil feels compared to ritalin?

Ritalin doesn't do much for me at all. I don't understand why.

Is modafinil stronger or more hardcore than ritalin?

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Ritalin feels like a dopamine-agonist. It's moore "lazy"...

Modafinil at lower doses don't feel much but works, 3-400mg at once, u get a lot better focus on say a movie.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But 400mg modafinil is a very high dose and totally expensive. I was thinking about trying 100mg or less. If this stuff only works at 400mg then it's really not worth even trying it cause it's too expensive. I take ritalin and from 10mg instant ritalin I feel nothing. It's really disappointing. :( And does modafinil also give you motivation or does it make you smarter? I read stuff online where people claimed it makes them smarter. Is this true? What if for example you have work to do but you hate the work and dont want to do it and then take modafinil then what happens? My problem is procrastination. I absolutely hate work where I need to focus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
200mg of Modafinil is what's recommended. You shouldn't go higher than that. You can buy the 200mg and just take half of it to see how it is.

Modafinil doesn't affect everyone the same way but for most, it helps them stay alert and awake as well as increase focus and concentration. It doesn't make you smarter, like you're not going to all of the sudden understand quantum physics but it can help you study longer and therefore increase your understanding of the topic.

Speaking of cost, yeah, it's expensive, even with insurance. Lots of people buy the generic version shipped from India. Just gotta know what sites are legit.

Here's a review of some of the best online vendors: http://www.bestsmartdrugs.com/nootropics/buy-modafinil

·
Banned
726 Posts
Armodafinil is regulated as a supplement in the US. IIRC It is a prodrug of modafinil, your body digests Armodafinil into Modafinil. The disadvantage being it takes longer to kick in. I looked into it and it is pretty cheap. Armodafinil was the original med developed in France which was never patented in the US.

We tend to focus on uncommon side effects... they are scary. But the danger with most of these uncommon side effects goes away after the first year. You just have to pay attention.

On the other hand, common but not life threatening side effects seem to be drastically deemphasized. SSRI sexual issues and apathy are a good 1 in 3 last time I read, maybe even more. Doctors don't even screen for it. And these are permanent side effects. Trazodone (my sleep med) has a 1 in 6000 chance of giving a man an erection that is so powerful it can require ER visit. A much larger percentage of those 6000 men will have improved erections. Which do you think is worse? This is the same reason MAOIs are never prescribed, an irrational focus on worse case scenarios.

Caedmon is my Trazodone bro. It is going to be part of my long term med cocktail for sure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There are a few things to consider with modafinil if someone wants to take it long term. Modafinil has a pretty long half life, which means that you built up a **** load of it over time in your system. It disrupts sleep quality pretty badly. I can't imagine anyone without narcolepsy is able to take modafinil long-term without any sleep med. Other than that, modafinil causes pretty bad anxiety, ocd and aggressiveness for me. It makes me hate any kind of social interaction. All of that happens as soon as a dose wears of (after ~4 hours). I'm not sure if that would be the case while taking maois, as my tolerance for stimulants is much better now... But I guess some of these bad side effects would remain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts