Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I have body image problems, and there is a case that can be made for me having Binge Eating Disorder (an experimental DSM category, but it isn't an official "disorder" yet). However, being a guy I always feel really embarrassed and sensitive about bringing it up or talking about it.

Does anyone else have this same problem? Namely, wanting to put up a front and keep your body image issues hidden from others, even those closest to you? I feel like, as a male, it is almost considered a sign of weakness or inferiority to feel this way, or to discuss it. And I know it's probably irrational but I don't like bringing it up, almost ever, because of the way that eating disorders and BDD is usually thought of as a 'female' problem. I worry that women will find me even less attractive if they know that I am sensitive about my weight - and at the same time, I feel like there is a lot of pressure to be the ideal male, complete with a six pack and perfect V-tapered body.

I feel a lot of guilt about my eating habits and my body, and I feel trapped into not really talking about it comfortably either. I know that it's hard for everyone to talk about these things, and I'm not interesting in discussing who has it "worst", but are there any fellow guys out there who shares my perspective? That gender roles is an impediment to being open about this stuff and maybe getting better? :?

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
I always feel concious about my looks and weight. I'm 5'9" or so and I'm only 140lbs. I always feel skinny, weak, and ugly, but I'm working to correct that with the help of mass exercise and zyprexa.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, I can relate.

I'm extremely self conscious of how I look. It's probably a driving force behind my SA. I'm constantly worried about what I look like and what people are thinking about what I look like when I go out.

I get very jealous when I see a fit guy or even a good looking guy on TV or in a magazine. I wish I could look like that instead of the way I look.

But, I do feel a lot like you. I'm embarrassed to talk about it since it's perceived as only a problem women have. Guys aren't supposed to care about how they look, so I can't really feel "normal" for doing so.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I've had problems perceiving myself accurately in the past. Between the age of 10 and 21 I ate huge amounts of food because I felt I was too skinny. When that simply made me fat, I engaged in some very unhealthy behavior to try and get thin. My weight has been stable for about 25 years and I'm pretty content with how I look, but some irrational insecurities creep into my thinking from time to time.

I'm not especially comfortable talking about this, even here. It is kind of emasculating. Admitting that my masculinity is threatened by talking about this issue is a little troubling, too. Us men live by an odd code.

I believe there is an irrational element to feeling like we have to be "ideal". In my case, becoming more aware of why I obsessed over my physique, and the reasons had nothing to do with my appearance, has freed me from most of my earlier concerns. But not all of them :lol

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
i have body image issues.

in my case, however, i do think im perceiving myself accurately.

i have a major disfigurement. it is obvious.

i have come a long way in accepting myself. but in a lot of ways it is still a daily struggle.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Noca said:
I always feel concious about my looks and weight. I'm 5'9" or so and I'm only 140lbs. I always feel skinny, weak, and ugly, but I'm working to correct that with the help of mass exercise and zyprexa.
I'm starting to exercise too, trying to gain some weight. I'm even worse than you, I'm 6'4" and only 165.

What is Zyprexa?

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I kind of have a perception problem - seeing the fit guys in the magazines getting the girls with protein powder and the like.

I am 6'3" and was down to 190 at one time - running 20 miles a week - I have large legs. With the recent addition of Paxil I am edging back up to the 215 I was before losing it all. Seeing the fifth wheel inflate again has been a scary thought - I have been down to one meal a day and consciously trying to get my exercise in to lower the weight. This is all to prevent me from having to go up a pants size.

I don't really think talking about this is all that emasculating to be honest - I think it is therapeutic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, first off I'm not a guy, so... yes.

BUT a very, very close male friend of mine has real body issues. He grew up in a very negative enviorment. He's anorexic (At 6', he wants to be only 110 pounds!!), but he doesn't feel any less male talking about it (Considering he wears womans pants... well... you get the point).
I, personally, don't think that males should feel odd talking about their apperance. Do you think those guys on the tv got a six pack because they didn't care?

·
Registered
96 Posts
millenniumman75 said:
I kind of have a perception problem - seeing the fit guys in the magazines getting the girls with protein powder and the like.
Same here.

I'm 5'11" and weigh around 185-187. I used to weigh 244 and felt horrible about the way I looked. Last summer I decided enough was enough. I changed my eating habits and started exercising regularly and a bit over a year later I'm much happier with how I look, but I still have image isues. I feel a bit uncomfortable sharing this, but I can go from being almost paranoid about gaining weight and watching what I eat to not caring at all, eating what I want and feeling horrible about it later. The latter usually occurs when I'm depressed or really angry. Then when I workout I'll push myself even harder to make up for the guilty feelings, eh.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
I used to be sorta conscious about my stomach... I was never fat but I guess I was a bit overweight in a way, but I lost most of that I think and I feel a little better I guess.

But here's a tip -> if you feel bad about your body, start doing weights. It'll make ya feel a little better at least, and give you something to do, so that at least you aren't wasting ALL of your time ^_^

·
Registered
175 Posts
F-Bomb said:
What is Zyprexa
It's an anti-psychotic drug - it's used to treat people experiencing psychosis from schizophrenia and to restrict bi-polar sufferees to the low side of the mood spectrum.

I have a parent who has been taking Zyprexa for years. It caused her several severe side-effects; Parkinson's, heart disease and weight-gain. It is not recommended for gaining a few pounds if you feel skinny, it is fatal after long-term use.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
i have major body image issues. I don't like talking about them either, really. I cannot pinpoint one specific reason why though. I think it's because I am afraid it makes me come across as shallow and vain. Another reason is that I am unsure just how irrational I am being about it or worse if what I perceive is really "true". eh, the only thing I am sure of is that I know I am a heck of a lot harder on myself than I am on judging other people....as with most of my problems. :(

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I always find something about myself I am not comfortable with. Right now I have pretty good self-esteem. My only problem is a flaw that I caused... I squeeze my earlobe and never let it heal completely, so I always have on that is larger than the other, so I feel like that will make people think I'm a freak. Other than that, I don't feel fat anymore, but I still fear gaining weight. I hate the winter because I can't excercise as much, so I feel like I'm getting fat and therefore see myself as fat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
And I know it's probably irrational but I don't like bringing it up, almost ever, because of the way that eating disorders and BDD is usually thought of as a 'female' problem.
Do you have any idea how many men out there are convinced that their penises are too small? Or are a wonky shape? It seems to be an in-joke among some circles of women. To me, that's as real a form of body dysmorphic disorder as thinking you're too fat.

Apart from the size of their bits, there are also a lot of men who are self-conscious about a lack of a perfect six-pack and perfect triceps - both real and perceived. Men often consider themselves to be not muscley enough.

Although men tend to want to bulk up rather than lose weight, men with BDD are still just as likely as women to turn to appetite suppressants in an attempt to feel better about themselves - or so I'm told.

I speak from experience too. I've always considered myself a bit scrawny, but I spent two years of my life hooked on ephedra pills. Starving myself made the buzz stronger - or at least it did, until I built up a tolerance. The weight piled on when I quit them, mind - though not in the right places. Still, I'm pleased it didn't kill me, I was taking doses way higher than what killed Steve Bechler, but at the time I felt like I couldn't cope without it.

·
SAS Member since 6/2/01
260 Posts
I have an image problem. I have alot of acne scars, red hair with a receding hairline, bad teeth so i can't smile and I'm too skinny, 5'11 138.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have always been skinny and I've tried everything to put on more weight (eating more, exercise, weight-training) nothing works. I guess thats just the way my body is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts