Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Avernus
791 Posts
As far as I know (haven't had too many experiences), it's irrelevent to me. Someone with energy is preferable, but that doesn't mean they have to be super-athletic.
And energy is fun just because it makes things more exciting. I mean, sometimes it's fun to be able to just run after each other or something :p
I likes girls, though...so I'm not sure my opinion even counts here.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I find this topic hard to believe, I mean the sports dudes are the most popular in HS and have you seen some of the wives of pro players. It has to be more than money for them. I doubt there all golddiggers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
As most posts have said, it depends on the sport. I really can't stand football, and could never imagine dating someone who watches it, let alone plays it. But, as soon as you start talking about hockey or lacrosse players, I'm all over that.

I think I see what you're talking about with having an aggressive/competitive "side". It's the same attraction as dating men in the army, or even criminals for some girls, on some level. You know they could be aggressive/harmful to you, but they aren't. It makes the way they are when they're with you more special, because you know that isn't the only way they are. It's the whole "gentle killer" or "bad boy with a heart of gold" image.

·
Temporarily stationary
1,486 Posts
I'm surprised so many people seem to be equating athletic with "watches/obsessed with football" or an organized sport in general.

When I think of athletic I think of someone who runs, bikes, hikes, climbs, skis/snowboards, kayaks, backpacks. Outdoorsy stuff or things which challenge your fitness.

I'm not quite there yet...still getting back in shape but I like doing all those things, even if I don't do them with any regularity like I want to. Even if I was at the fitness level I want to be I'd still loaf on the couch to watch movies or do "lazy" activities too. I also hate watching sports.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In high school I dated a guy who was highly competitive in sport but still very down to earth and cuddly at home. He was driven to do the things he wanted to do and helped boost up my confidence and was just a really well rounded person. Plus he was a bit 'husky' and i love that....not really into skinny guys....

·
J. Alfred Prufrock
479 Posts
Athleticism is not a turn-on for me. I'm more interested in geeks myself.

·
Big Boo's Haunt
3,971 Posts
Built guys are good to look at, but I wouldn't want to date one due to maintenance. I find the thought of a guy going to the gym or going for runs etc. to be a turn off. General athleticism can have different body types, but if they don't have a muscular upper body then visually it won't do anything for me. I'm actually attracted to chubby/fat guys.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
As most posts have said, it depends on the sport. I really can't stand football, and could never imagine dating someone who watches it, let alone plays it. But, as soon as you start talking about hockey or lacrosse players, I'm all over that.

I think I see what you're talking about with having an aggressive/competitive "side". It's the same attraction as dating men in the army, or even criminals for some girls, on some level. You know they could be aggressive/harmful to you, but they aren't. It makes the way they are when they're with you more special, because you know that isn't the only way they are. It's the whole "gentle killer" or "bad boy with a heart of gold" image.

Exactly! except it's different for me because I like girls, so it's not really a "danger" thing but just like "elite, competitive, good at what she does" type of thing

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would much prefer a homebody companion rather than one who's hiking/bicycling/footballing/running marathons/getting funky and sweaty every weekend. I have never been good at/had an interest in sports and to a sporty guy I would be a pretty boring person to be around.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
haha you are all a bad sample to be asking. I guess most people with SA don't like sports. Which explains why I have NO SA on the basketball court and I am just a total beast and will get in fights and stuff and talk major trash. And then after I'll think to myself "why did I do/say all that stuff..." and I regret it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hmmm interesting question! I guess it is attractive but for me it's because it shows a commitment to something and that they are willing to work hard. They are passionate! And it also shows that they are successful at something which women can't help but be attracted to I don't think. But, on the other hand, if I dont find a guy attractive at all then it wouldn't add anything. Also, there's certain sporting types that I probably don't hold as much respect for. Man this is probably really bad.... But AFL footballers for example. Not all of them, but a lot of the ones iv met, i can't stand!!! Their egos are through the roof and a lot of them have brains the size of peanuts! I also hate that whole "THE BOYS" mentality a lot of sports foster. Where they just turn into groups of feral blokes that act like idiots and treat women like meat. Anyway, those are my honest thoughts good or bad... It totally depends on the person and whether they let their skill go to their head or not.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts