Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is athleticism something that turns you on? (in a guy)

I haven't seen it often in the "turn ons" section of people's profiles.

Maybe it's just that most girls with SAD don't really care about it that much?

I'm not just talking about lean/muscular bodies, but the whole attitude that goes along with someone who plays sports at a high level. And I'm also not taking about people who just go to the gym and "workout". I'm talking about guys who you know can "flip a switch" and have a competitive personality when in appropriate situations.

(I'm asking because I find girls who play sports a high level very attractive. I guess this is because I know they can be tough and competitive and also be somewhat "girly" around me). and overall it just demonstrates "higher value" to me, compared to girls who don't play sports, but this is just a personal preference I guess.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't have SAD and I'm not particularly interested in athletic/competitive guys. I think it's a very individual thing and not especially associated with SAD or any other disorder.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think it would depend on the sport and how much of his time is taken up by his athletics. I'm not into football at all, so guys who play that sport typically turn me off. I think I would be most attracted to a tennis player or something else like that. However, if he's overly competitive almost all of the time, that would be a turn-off.
A guy who doesn't play sports doesn't turn me off though, and there are exceptions to every rule.

·
Need a witty saying...
117 Posts
Actually... no. I don't like guys who are all obsessed over being the best at sports. Probably because I'm lazy as hell.

Athletic guys would hate me, since I'm really bad at PE, and I have terrible co-ordination.

So no, I don't like athletic guys.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Is athleticism something that turns you on? (in a guy)

I haven't seen it often in the "turn ons" section of people's profiles.

Maybe it's just that most girls with SAD don't really care about it that much?

I'm not just talking about lean/muscular bodies, but the whole attitude that goes along with someone who plays sports at a high level. And I'm also not taking about people who just go to the gym and "workout". I'm talking about guys who you know can "flip a switch" and have a competitive personality when in appropriate situations.

(I'm asking because I find girls who play sports a high level very attractive. I guess this is because I know they can be tough and competitive and also be somewhat "girly" around me). and overall it just demonstrates "higher value" to me, compared to girls who don't play sports, but this is just a personal preference I guess.
Are you sure the peoples' profiles are not just trying to say "no fat guys" in a nicer way? I like guys who play sports but of course it depends on the guy. I'm pretty athletic so guys who are couch potatoes (guys who never exercise) are not a turn on to me.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^have NOT seen it in their profiles.

I guess I'm asking if you feel a definite sexual attraction to a guy who is really good at a sport and competitive when he plays that sport... everything "off the court/field" doesn't even matter for this question.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I agree its very individual. I really do like athletic guys...both in appearance and in their interests. But then I dont really like the typical well dressed suave kinda guys that a lot of girls do like...so its really going to depend on the girl. I personally know a bunch of girls who like really nerdy/videogame playing guys too...so I think theres someone for everyone lol.

·
Loveisloveisloveislove
2,785 Posts
Nope I don't like guys like that

·
HeavyDirtySøul
5,969 Posts
I dont like sports, but in general I dont want a string bean. I may be speaking generally, but I believe most girls would like to date a guy with at least a little muscle. I love being carried or picked up by my guy, its a huge turn on to me. So Id like a guy with a bit of muscle. But its not a must. Id date a little guy with a great personality over a douchey body builder. I think thats why most girls dont post it in their turn ons. Personality is much more important. Hope I helped you out. :)

EDIT: Sorry I didnt fully read your post! My boyfriend is very competitive but not so much a jock. I dont really think its attractive just because Im not athletic, so theres no way I could keep up or play any sports with him. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its kinda f'ed up actually but its basic psychology... I'm attracted to g*rls who play soccer in c*l*ege bc my s**t*r did. i wa*ched hr g*ms and stuff. I guess it's something about "taming" them that attracts me... A girl who is aggressive and competive on the field and then she plays the "girl" role when she is with me. (and I met a girl like this recently and totally blew it, jusr pu**ied out)

So I'm just wondering if girls like that quality in guys.

·
Live. Laugh. Learn
4,101 Posts
Every girl I fall for likes guys who are in a band. Doesn't necessary mean they have to be musically talented, they just have to be in a band.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Every girl I fall for likes guys who are in a band. Doesn't necessary mean they have to be musically talented, they just have to be in a band.
Because it tends to offer us an idealistic notion of sensitivity (however misguided this may be).

I guess it's something about "taming" them that attracts me... A girl who is aggressive and competive on the field and then she plays the "girl" role when she is with me. So I'm just wondering if girls like that quality in guys.
If you're asking if I am attracted to a guy with an aggressive/competitive personality then the answer is no. I don't find these traits attractive.

However, a strong, confident man who has a soft, sensitive side when with his girl is a cliche for a reason.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because it tends to offer us an idealistic notion of sensitivity (however misguided this may be).

If you're asking if I am attracted to a guy with an aggressive/competitive personality then the answer is no. I don't find these traits attractive.

However, a strong, confident man who has a soft, sensitive side when with his girl is a cliche for a reason.
NO! everyone is misinterpreting it. I'm talking about a guy who you know has a SIDE to him where he can be competitive and a leader, but when he is with you he doesn't necessarily have to be this way.

·
Banned
360 Posts
Evolutionally/biologically it would make sense to think that subconsciously everyone would like to have a healthy and fit partner, but due to low-self esteem or depression, people might feel like they don't deserve a partner like that. Or that they feel they cannot offer a fit body themselves, or they might feel intimidated by someone who's strong and lively otherwise. So, instead, people end up wanting someone who's a closer match to who they are themselves.

Of course, then there are those that want someone opposite of who they are; someone who'd be adding energy to the relationship. I'd say that these people will probably have a higher self-esteem.

But then, at a young age, everyone is probably still relatively healthy anyway (unless we are talking about obesity etc.) so it wouldn't matter all that much. It would matter later on, when the lack of exercise and poor diet will start showing their results.

·
Banned
974 Posts
No, I don't like athletic/ sporty guys. I prefer soft, sensitive guys that enjoys gardening, woodworking, animals, the history channel, recycling, being drug and alcohol free. Someone just like me :D Comfortably older, but still young, chubby, and laid back.

I used to have a boyfriend that was a diehard Chiefs fan. He would get so upset if I even laughed at his team. I would leave the house when his team was playing because he'd jump around screaming and yelling, and getting drunker. Ridiculous! He had Chiefs hats, T-shirts, and even slippers and boxers. He even spent two hundred dollars on an autographed team jersey, and even bought a glass display for it and hung it on the wall in the living room...:roll Chiefs are a loosing team...there, I can say it all I want now. Ha Ha!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts