Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking Xanax off and on for many years. I went through a period where I took it everyday for a few years. I decided to stop and ended up having a siezure. Anyway, I started taking them a few months ago but now I take a lot. I don't take them everyday, but when I do, I take around 10mg a day for 3 or 4 days. I always give myself 72 hours in between those days. I just want to make sure I don't become physically dependent again. I quit drinking alcohol and this is my way of dealing with it on the weekend when all my friends are drinking having a good time. The Xanax allows me to have a good time with them without having to drink. So the question is this; am I physically dependent, and does this amount of Xanax have any effect on sperm (wife and I trying to have a baby)? Thank you for input.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Xanax(Alprazolam) and alcohol are both GABAergics. They are acting at GABA receptors and one can be a substitute of another. And also there can be a cross-dependance. Better stop taking both.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
30-40mg Xanax per week is quite a lot and altough the half-life of alprazolam is relatively short I doubt the 72 hour break will protect you from getting physically dependent longer-term. You already had a withdrawal seizure in the past and w/d symptoms from GABAergic drugs tend to become worse with time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.