Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it differs with each college or not, but would I be able to withdraw from a class I didn't need? I signed up for a class I didn't need because we have a certain amount of units required and I needed an extra one to meet that requirement. But I'm wondering if anything will happen if I withdraw from it afterwards when there's no one to make me take a certain amount of units.

I'm also thinking about withdrawing from other classes that might require a lot of speaking, even if they're part of the GE requirements. I'm just unsure about what I'm going to do with college at the moment. :stu

·
Registered
249 Posts
Most colleges allow you to withdraw the first week without penalty. Then after the first week there is usually a withdrawl date about mid semester in which you can withdraw without penalty to your grade but you lose the money paid for the class.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
:agree I have gone to 3 different colleges (two regular, one during the summer) and the procedure seems to be pretty much the same everywhere. Usually, the university sets a withdrawl date and you can drop any class you want without penalty up until that date. I think it shows up as a 'W' on the transcript, which really doesn't mean anything. The thing you have to be careful of though, assuming you are a full time student of course, is staying above the amount of required credits (usually 12) to keep that status, usually for scholarship stuff, but it sometimes messes with tuition costs too, so be aware of that.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. So what would happen if I didn't stay above the amount of required credits? That's my problem--the class I want to drop is a class I'm taking only to meet the unit requirements. Would I not be allowed to do that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dove said:
the class I want to drop is a class I'm taking only to meet the unit requirements. Would I not be allowed to do that?
What do you mean?

So this class is an elective in your degree? if it's an elective then it shouldn't affect you in any way other than forcing you to take another class in the following semester just to complete the credit.

However, if you have student loans or student housing that requires you to be a "full time" student then you might have some problems if withdrawing changes your status from full-time to part-time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.