Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am trying to think of other things to add to my list of hierarchies, and this is something I wonder about. Do people my age (in their 40s) even do this sort of thing? Where do they go if they just want a fun night out? Is it even....permissable? :D The last time I went to anything even close to this was one of the old keystone clubs in Calif, and I haven't done it since. I have no idea what it must be like now - I was 20 back then, I'm sure the "scene" (and myself) has changed a ton since then. I feel so silly asking this, but i really have no clue what people my age do for a social life when they happen to not have kids, as most people my age seem to.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
It's been ten years for me since I even tried to go to a club (only went four times). It's definitely not my cup of tea. People don't look for friends there. :puke

There has to be other places to meet people.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think its really all about your personal level of comfort. I don't know about the night life in cali, there might be places catered to the more mature people too. There should be if there isnt anyway. But yeh that is a very good question, it was cool in germany they would have local downtown parties in the city, and everyone from younger (prob shouldnt be drinking age) and older people in retirement age would be having drinks and partying. Here it seems nightclubs, like millennium said, seems more like a meat market lol geared towards the 'younger' crowd. I think more of a lounge type, restaurant/bar with friends would be ok. You wouldn't have to deal with as much of the annoyance factors at least.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My mom still goes to nightclubs sometimes, I def. don't think you should let your age deter you from doing anything that you want to do.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I just went to a club Friday. It had a diverse age group of people. From what I have observed, people that are 40ish tend to hang out at the Kareoke <sp> bars. You know the bars where you sing songs. That has been my observation. Also bowling is another place I have seen a diverse age group. As long as you don't hang out at the hottest night club in town, I am sure you will " fit in" just fine.

I have noticed as late as Friday that I have lost my interest to dancing non stop to all the popular songs. I now find enjoyment in talking with people or texting people on my Blackberry. I just enjoy being in the environment. I also do not drink. But that is my idea of fun at a club- chatting with <gasp> friends or texting while having music and drunks in the background.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm in Cali, and I find that most people grow out of clubbing by their late 20s, though there are exceptions. People around my age (and yours) are generally more inclined to go to bars, not clubs, with friends. Dive bars for people my age, but you might opt for something more high class if you've got the money. I agree on the karaoke bar thing, I find a lot of 40+ people rocking out there to songs I've never heard of.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My mom doesn't go to clubs. I don't think she ever did, though. Something more popular for that age group is going someplace where there's salsa dancing.

·
"Why So Serious?"
901 Posts
A bar I would say. Karaoke bar, sports bar, pool tables and darts bar, country themed bar, etc. etc.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Hello All,

I am trying to think of other things to add to my list of hierarchies, and this is something I wonder about. Do people my age (in their 40s) even do this sort of thing? Where do they go if they just want a fun night out? Is it even....permissable? :D The last time I went to anything even close to this was one of the old keystone clubs in Calif, and I haven't done it since. I have no idea what it must be like now - I was 20 back then, I'm sure the "scene" (and myself) has changed a ton since then. I feel so silly asking this, but i really have no clue what people my age do for a social life when they happen to not have kids, as most people my age seem to.
yes people of all ages go clubbing , theres absolutely no probs with a 40 year old going to a club, its a normal thing

·
SAS Member
14,413 Posts
they have a few 30's + clubs here in Montreal. I never went there because i dont really want to pick up a 35 yearl old drunk girl who will blow smoke in my face all night. But sure, people of all ages go clubbing. I dont get why, but they do.

·
Banned
768 Posts
Great question. I've often wondered this too. I'm 35, yet clubbing is still something I would like to do. I went to a few clubs in my 20's, but that was before I even knew what sa was and how to deal with it.

For me, going to some clubs, and getting comfortable doing so, would be a major accomplishment in my world.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I haven't been inside a club of any kind since I was 19. Ironically, I wasn't even supposed to be in there when I was. :D

Anyway, I guess if you really want to do it, the only way to do it is to take a chance and try different kinds of clubs. If you go in and you feel uncomfortable, just leave. Nobody will probably say anything.

Just try not to get too drunk if you decided to drink. Especially if you're by yourself.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they have a few 30's + clubs here in Montreal. I never went there because i dont really want to pick up a 35 yearl old drunk girl who will blow smoke in my face all night.
We don't all shhmoke <hic> (when i'm drunk I pretend I'm much younger than I am. When others are drunk, they might believe me).

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great question. I've often wondered this too. I'm 35, yet clubbing is still something I would like to do. I went to a few clubs in my 20's, but that was before I even knew what sa was and how to deal with it.

For me, going to some clubs, and getting comfortable doing so, would be a major accomplishment in my world.
Then I hope you get to experience it soon. It's one of the things I feel I've really missed out on. I know some people really hate it, but i would like to have given myself the chance to decide if it was for me or not, which I don't feel I ever did. I've been to one, 1! concert in my entire life. Def Leppard. 1983. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyway, I guess if you really want to do it, the only way to do it is to take a chance and try different kinds of clubs. If you go in and you feel uncomfortable, just leave. Nobody will probably say anything.

Just try not to get too drunk if you decided to drink. Especially if you're by yourself.
When I get to the states, I'll do that. I note the advice - many thanks.

....can I just say, I find your avatar disturbing.....

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My mom doesn't go to clubs. I don't think she ever did, though. Something more popular for that age group is going someplace where there's salsa dancing.
Da huz don't dance (but he sure can rock and roll)....can I say that here? will I be banned? I mean it in the nicest way possible. Only joking. Seriously.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in Cali, and I find that most people grow out of clubbing by their late 20s, though there are exceptions. People around my age (and yours) are generally more inclined to go to bars, not clubs, with friends. Dive bars for people my age, but you might opt for something more high class if you've got the money. I agree on the karaoke bar thing, I find a lot of 40+ people rocking out there to songs I've never heard of.
who said I was high class? That was just a lie...

Thanks, that's good to know actually - I feel less strange. i'll have to get myself a group of friends to go with though. Or hire them, something. Not sure about karaoke though....(I think it's a bit cheesy..)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts