Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Then God said, Let us make human beings in our image and likeness".

if there is only one God who is us and our?

·
gone
5,224 Posts
It's probably like the royal 'we' and 'us'.

As an interesting aside, there is quite a bit in the early parts of the bible that are, let us say, polytheistic. The strict monotheism that Judaism and Christianity have now seems to have evolved a little bit down the line.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
"Then God said, Let us make human beings in our image and likeness".

if there is only one God who is us and our?
Father, Son, Holy Spirit

Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning God (the word God in Hebrew is Elohim, which is plural).

Deuteronomy 6:4 - Here o Isreal the Lord our God (Elohim) is one Lord

In other words, the Triunity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) is one Godhead.

Romans 1:20 uses the word Godhead to describe the trinity of God.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
English translation of ancient Hebrew text originally taken from oral tradition.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If anyone has any questions on the Bible or God, I don't suggest looking for the truth from anything secular, that includes wikipedia. :haha

If you truly have a curiosity for God, turn to sources that embrace that belief. Like the Bible and some commentaries on the Bible from highly respected pastors who have the Spirit of God and won't mislead you. Charles Swindoll has written commentaries on The Word, if you are interested in studying the Bible.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
If anyone has any questions on the Bible or God, I don't suggest looking for the truth from anything secular, that includes wikipedia. :haha

If you truly have a curiosity for God, turn to sources that embrace that belief. Like the Bible and some commentaries on the Bible from highly respected pastors who have the Spirit of God and won't mislead you. Charles Swindoll has written commentaries on The Word, if you are interested in studying the Bible.
What's wrong with looking at it from another point of view? If it's God's word it should hold up to any type of scrutiny, right? And who says Chuck Swindoll is able to perfectly interpret the bible? I met a lot of these "respected" pastors when I was a kid. They're just humans who pretend they have it all figured out, but if it weren't for the money and respect, would admit they aren't 100% sure.

·
Burnt-on cheese
1,005 Posts
There are many different opinions on that. I am not a scholar and I do not know Hebrew (and I do not see anything wrong with studying the Bible from a scholarly view either) but my personal impression (which is all it is) is that the traditions that went into the Bible were not always of one voice and 100% uniform. I was going to mention about the term Elohim, but that was already brought up.

However, as I said. There are different opinions on that; we can see them in this thread as well as throughout history for as long as scripture has existed. Some things we might just not know. But there ain't nothing wrong with learning and/or praying.

And btw I am not trying to argue. Please, please people, don't take it that way. Let's (according to what we individually believe anyway) try and hold on to the love of God and the example of Jesus in our hearts. I know we all fail but let's try to do that even on a message board.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
It was the Father talking to his Son.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Considering that Genesis 1:26 is LITERALLY only the 26th verse from the very beginning of the Bible, and they hadn't gotten to Adam and Eve yet, that is what He meant.

"Us" and "Our" was the Father and the Holy Spirit, as in the first 2 1/2 of the Trinity - the Son is Jesus, but the human part was to happen down the line. He would still be with God as we all are before we are born.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts