Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to my parents last night and they said that I should get a job this summer to help me out with applications in the future (they earlier said they didn't care if I got a job, but that's another thread :) ). The jobs that are open to me are your typical teenager jobs and I was wondering how much to the menial summer jobs effect future career prospects? I debate the relevance that part time summer jobs would have on me, who is at least 2.5 if not 3 years away from graduation, so I will pass the question on to you all. Do summer jobs, or even a job during school that doesn't really have much to do with your majo, (teenager jobs) effect job prospects once I graduate?

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Kikachuck,

It depends. I worked at a McDonald's for three summers while I was in college for a Computer Science degree. I would guess that interpersonal skills would come out of that - especially knowing the people I had to work with!

I ended up with a job as a contractor instead of full-time for the first two years out of college. I was then laid off and unemployed for another two years. I rejoined the company and have been there as a full-time employee for the past nine months. (This should give you something to think about just in case - one person's experience helping another)

They really want experience in your field. Your best bet would be to look for intern positions in your field. Your college should have information on that.

Let us know what you decide,

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
millenniumman75 said:
They really want experience in your field. Your best bet would be to look for intern positions in your field. Your college should have information on that.
I agree. For a "professional" position, you don't fill out an application you fill out a resume. I think if you applied for a position as a computer program, or a teacher, or whatever, and included you had worked for a year at McDonalds, they would just laugh.

I do think it's helpful to do intern stuff, even if it's minimum wage stuff. If the company likes you they might hire you when you graduate. It also gives you something to talk about during the interview.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've worked consistently (not just summers) since I was 16. I've found that while the actual job doesn't matter, the fact that you WORKED and that you held a job will definitely work in your favor in the future. Employers like to hire someone with a strong work ethic, and they will assume, if you've held a job while in school, that you are someone who shows up on time, doesn't call out too often, is dependable, etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, Paranoir, you're totally right. I know someone who just got her PhD and cannot find a job. She's been applying to universities all over the WORLD to teach, but no one's hiring her. She's never held a job, ever. Not even a McJob. Goes to show that even that crappy part time job you get while you're in highschool can get you far, sometimes farther than your degree can get you!

·
Registered
490 Posts
OneIsALonelyNumber said:
I think if you applied for a position as a computer program, or a teacher, or whatever, and included you had worked for a year at McDonalds, they would just laugh.
I've read books and taken seminars on resume and cover letter writing and its usually encouraged that you put any work experience you have at all on your resume. You can learn a lot from working at McDonald's or Wal Mart or waiting tables that's applicable to more professional jobs: customer service, people skills, work ethic... Just tie in that experience with the position you're applying for in the cover letter. Working a couple of menial jobs can build character that you wouldn't otherwise get from only having good jobs or going to college.

Employers can't honestly expect everyone to start out with $35,000/yr professional jobs in their field (Who the heck does that, anyway?). Remember, they had to start somewhere too. If a job at McDonald's is all you can get, than what else can you do? Its looks better on your resume than no work experience at all. Frankly, a company that would laugh at someone for working at McDonald's is not somewhere I'd want to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts