Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure most people on here can relate to this. i find I am always having to be someone i'm not. i feel as though if people knew me for the person I really am they would never like me. this is especially the case around the opposite sex. girls i've tried to date always seem to lose interest in me, so to seem as interesting as possible i put on an act. I've tried for years to just be myself and not give a **** if people don't like me but i always revert back to putting-on-an-act-like behaviour

·
Registered
75 Posts
I try to be myself but once I step foot out of the house, I tense up and become a completely different person. I rather be myself when I'm at home. All relaxed and just yelling things out randomly.

·
Fitting In Here & There
807 Posts
When I "put on an act", I end up hating myself for being fake...
When I act like my real self, I think everyone else hates me...
Damned if I do; damned if I don't.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In a way I kind of have the opposite problem. I think if most people saw the "real me" they would end up liking me. The problem is, it's hard to be "myself" when I first meet people because I'm so damn nervous. Then, once people get to know the nervous me, I feel like I'm so typecast into that role that I just can't act any other way. Plus once people think I'm awkward, I feel like even if I do act differently they're biased to interpret my actions negatively anyway. At any given time, it's really only a few friends I think see the real me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've tried a lot of things in my quest for social acceptance and putting on an act might work for a first impression but doesn't secure any relationships in the long run.

Believing in your own ideals and standing by them through the test of time however, earns mucho respect. Don't be afraid to seek romance in a different way from others.

If you've met me on chat lol, I'm not exactly the most masculine out there am I. Meow :3

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's that real side of me I feel people would actually like if they got the chance to see me for who I really am.

I feel like that "fake" act I put on (extremely quiet and reserved, super serious), is just a facade to hide behind because I'm so anxious in social situations. That's the side of me I don't like, but I feel like i'm forced into being that way around people I'm unfamiliar with because I'm too nervous to be myself.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think that's a pretty good way to get around. Show the real side to those who deserve it.

For a person who enjoys quality relationships I would not even answer questions (esp personal ones) unless the other party proves his/her worth. In that case an act can be a good thing to keep undesirable parties away. Such as those who'd love to know all about you then gossip away (they have 1001 phone numbers anyway).

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you like who you are as your "real self" others will too. It's when we have doubts about the validity of our inner worth that we carefully construct alternate personas. Over time we end up believing we are the masks we don. To tear down the artifice we have to start with loving and accepting ourselves, flaws and all.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I "put on an act", I end up hating myself for being fake...
When I act like my real self, I think everyone else hates me...
Damned if I do; damned if I don't.
I feel the same.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I do this all the time. I don't think people will dislike the "real" me, I know they won't. I have tried, and for the most part I just can't seem to get along with many people I work with. I am in a lot of ways a "realist" so many people just get pushed away by that type of "when you die nothing happens" way of thinking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.