Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally try to push myself to go places that I know will cause me a lot of anxiety, like classrooms, the mall, parties, having lunch with people I want to be my friend, etc. But, while I can often push myself to go, I have a very hard time pushing myself to stay. While it's good to show my face so people can remember me and think of me, unfortunately staying is the part that actually matters.

Now I have a much easier time staying when I feel like I have no choice. It's easy to stay in a classroom, because of the embarrassment of walking out. It's much harder to stay at a school lunch though, no one's paying attention to me and I can walk away like I was never there.

Any advice?

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
It seems best to keep doing what you're doing, actually. If you already have the fortitude to "go", which many struggle with, once that becomes more comfortable, you'll likely start the cycle again until "staying" gets comfortable too.

I think a lot will havr to do with positive reinforcement from the things that you go to. Of course, that sometimes has to come from making a personal agreement to reward yourself with something you like if you meet an objective, I.e. "I will buy that pink workout top if I can stay at that party for one hour."

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i am about to go through this myself. i have a new class that starts in an hour and ive been telling myself if i am really uncomfortable i can leave during break. staying is definitely the battle for me.

i dont have any advice :\

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personally I find that all of the trouble is in getting myself to events, I may feel rather anxious while there but it's much worse beforehand. I think as another poster said, the key is to keep at it, keep going out and getting used to the experience and eventually you'll feel more comfortable and you will want to stick around.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I read today that it's really good to push yourself to go into those situations, however it'll only have a positive effect if you stay until the anxiety have settled down(gone away). Otherwise it may have a negative effect and making stuff worse.

A good idea is to go with someone that will make you feel comfortable and able to stay for a while. However I don't have any friends that I can do that with so not sure what to do then?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think it'd be better to aim to actually be comfortable in those situations. Personally, rather than pushing myself to enduring social situations, I push myself to forget about that and just enjoy myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts