Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*The short text version of this post is- I hate the bus*

I get the bus to work everyday, I always try to sit where noone can see me but if anyone is sitting beside me or behind me I get really paranoid and self conscious, sometimes I'm sweating or blushing and I'm afraid to look around me. So I end up sitting completely frozen for the journey.
Today I was particularly bad and felt like I was gonna throw up. I tried to pull myself out of it and distract myself with other thoughts but when I'm in view of other people I find it hard to control my thinking.
I felt like I looked like such a weirdo today, I couldnt relax, even when I got up to get off the bus I could see the people sitting around me looking at me like I was a nutjob.
I'm used to feeling like this but today was so uncomfortable and Ive been feeling really angry about it :no

Would anyone like to share any coping techniques they use on buses?

·
Quo
101 Posts
Similar situation, but with crowded Tube trains - I find that if it's really packed, like a cattle truck, I either listen to my music player, or close my eyes and think of a white square in my mind.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
i hate the bus too, i used to get up about 1 or 2 hours earlier just so i didn't have to get the bus :( my dad would drive me to college

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes I close my eyes to escape it or go asleep on the bus but when I do that I feel like I'm not facing up to what I'm afraid of.
If you can believe it, I stopped listening to earphones cos it made me feel more self conscious! Back then I had a fear I was accidently muttering out loud to myself and couldn't tell if I was or not because I was listening to music, I'd also hold my breath through songs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You could just try to focus on looking out of the bus window(if possible).. Those people are not really staring at you, or thinking you are weird or anything, that's just our own imagination - isn't it strange? I've been better in buses now, but in train for example where someone comes to sit in front of you - - oh my it's pain!!! I think it is just that feel so ashamed of the anxiety and the feelings you are having and going through. But really, the looking out of window could help to get the focus on something else than the people in the bus :)

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
I like taking the bus cause I can just sit back and relax, listen to the mp3 player, i dont care if other ppl are there, they are too busy trying to get to the place they are going, all you have to do is look around you when you feel like EVERYONE is looking at you then you will realize that they are not and this should make you feel better

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
When I had to go to a training job course thing/college or work. I had to take the bus. I hated it. Waiting at the bus stop for the bus -I used to worry about how I was going to say my distination and hand over the money. Will I have somewhere to sit (Because in the morning, the buses are always packed.) Will people be looking at me whilst I choose a seat etc lol

I try not to look at the people on the bus when I get on and pick a seat. Incase I spot someone I know or if I see someone looking at me, it makes my anxiety worse, so it's best to avoid eye contact and just look for a seat.

I try to pick a seat on my own but sometimes its not possible because it's packed you HAVE to sit next to someone. Then I worry whether the person next to me is looking me up and down. Or the person behind me is looking at my hair LOL

I just hate it, when I press the bell for my stop and then you find your the only one getting off at this stop so you are the only one standing up and leaving. It feels like whilst you are walking down the aisle to leave everyone is looking at you from behind. LOL

argh when I get a job, I'll have to take the buses again...arghhh!!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was quite scared of going on the bus a few years back, but now I'm not worried. main reason was I kept thinking everyone was looking at me and judging me by looks and clothes. After a while this subsided totally and now I dont care. Trust me, I kept thinking people were looking at me, but sometimes I sneaked a glance by pretending I was looking for the bus behind and no one was looking at all. Whenever you are anxious on the bus relax, breath and just know that no one cares about you (on the bus anyway ;) )

Only time you should be worried is when you fall asleep and then find yourself suddenly waking up cause a) your elbow slipped off b) your neck hurts and that happens at least 3 times on a single journey :D <=== Guilty, especially today :p

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
I just hate it, when I press the bell for my stop and then you find your the only one getting off at this stop so you are the only one standing up and leaving. It feels like whilst you are walking down the aisle to leave everyone is looking at you from behind. LOL
Ditto this - I sometimes won't get off at the stop I'm meanto to because I'm too anxious to be the only person getting off.

Most of the time, I'm ok with buses. I don't really care what people think or anything etc. I normally just stare out the window. I sometimes get a little anxious when getting out my mp3 player because I think it attracts more attention especially since I live in a very poor area so chances are, someone is eyeing it up.

I hate getting on crowded buses and if its crowded, I normally stand at the bottom rather than look for a seat at the top because I hate sitting next to people. I hate it even more when its a crowded bus full of school kids especially if there are any of those wretched loud people we all seem to hate which is why I take a longer route on the way back from college, just to avoid the buses with mostly school kids on/get on an emptier bus.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hated the buses too when I was in college. Like others have said, I would just listen to music, it wasn't a cure all but it definitely helped to distract me and keep me from going nutso with all those people around!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Headphones

I had to take the bus alot when I was younger. I hate taking the bus too. I remember what made it a little easier was when I had my cd player with me. With my headphones on people assumed that I couldnt hear them. Even though I would only put the music up enough to hear it, but still hear what was going on around me. I would even wear them in stores when I had to go buy stuff. The music did help me to not keep going on thinking about who is noticing me or who is looking at me strange. I could close my eyes, take a deep breath and just listen to the music. Ok I did rock out too, sometimes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Zen monks would hit most of you with sticks for being distracted and not living the moment. Most people are self-conscious in public areas. Their self-criticisms just aren't as intense as ours, but try to relax. They don't suspect you're a nervous wreck on the inside. They think you're just another person going about their routine. What's more, it's a human condition that people notice about 10% of other people around them, especially in crowded areas. Tell yourselves that the next time you're angsty in public.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I hate the bus too. I don't mind taking it in the mornings usually because everyone is still half-dead, but after school I avoid it at all costs. I can't stand all the rambunctious teens. I've even stayed at school until 8pm before just to avoid taking the bus. I'm not sure how to cope. I try to stare out the windows and avoid eye contact. Listening to music helps too.

·
Drinking
370 Posts
all you have to do is look around you when you feel like EVERYONE is looking at you then you will realize that they are not and this should make you feel better
This is exactly what helps me. Only sometimes when I look around and find out they ARE looking at me and quickly turn away when I make eye contact, that makes it worse lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hated buses, I use to take them once when I couldn't drive, found myself jumping off often and taking the next bus, as a result I've been late a number of times.

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
I've even stayed at school until 8pm before just to avoid taking the bus.
I thought I was the only one who did this. Sometimes if we finish late at uni I'll stay on until after rush hour to go home (until 9 PM often), simply to avoid the crowds of people.

Honeybun: I tend to become 'frozen' too when I get the impression people are staring at me and judging me. The problem with this extreme self-conciousness is that it's an automatic reaction (at least in my case). I can't just switch it off, but I also don't know how to deal with it (so I just stick through it :blank).

·
Sarah
130 Posts
I hate the bus soo much! Avoid it at all costs, even when one goes past i try and look away so the people on it can't see me. My friends think im crazy and just laugh, i realise it sounds pathetic but i can't stop it! : (

·
and i have social anxiety
234 Posts
I dont totally hate riding the public bus...the only time i get real anxious is when all the seats are taken and i have to stand at the front holding onto that bar thing above me...i feel like everyone on the entire bus is just looking at me.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
I understand, I hate public transport, it' the public part if it I hate lol. The bus especially, probably because when you get on you need to speak to the driver in front of everyone else. A bus pass would sort that out, but that's avoiding the issue not solving it so I don't know.

When drunken youths get on the bus I HATE it. I always seem to be an easy target for them, body language I guess.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts