Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Barbells and kittens
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what other members get at their work as far as PTO, vacation, sick days, etc. My current job is the first job I ever had that offered any at all, so nothing to really compare it to.

PTO, sick days, vacation are all considered the same for us. We get more days based on how long we worked here.
1 year = 5 days
2-4 years = 10 days
5-9 years = 15 days
10-20 years = 20 days
One additional day each year up to 25 days at 25 years

When I first started here we got 0 days our first year, 5 days our second year, then 10 days every year after. But we got bought by a larger company with a better PTO policy.

If your company does offer PTO do you use it all? According to Google most people don't use all their PTO time.

We have a use it or lose it policy each year, but even if we didn't I'd still use it all. I only use it for vacation though, never for sick days. I come in no matter how sick I am. But I can't imagine not wanting to take the most days off work as possible.

· Irretrievably Lost
3,619 Posts
^ It's insane to me that at your company you have to work for 5 years just to get 15 vacation days. That's some serious bull**** right there. This is why people hate their jobs and feel exploited. People should be able to do more with their lives than just work. Honestly.

I get 5 sick days that I never use, 20 vacation days, 5 personal days which I guess are just vacation days, and a bunch of holidays. I usually use all my vacation and personal days. I don't normally take week-long vacations instead a take a bunch of long weekends throughout the year.

I think everyone at my company gets the same amount of days unless you have been with the company less than a year then you get like 5 less vacation days I think.

· Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
I think 25 days PTO and 10 sick days. But it's not often I get approved to use my PTO days ever since my current boss was hired a few years ago. It rolls over to the next year, but only up to 40 days. So at the end, the PTO amount is largely moot in my case.

Reactions: JH1983

· Barbells and kittens
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ It's insane to me that at your company you have to work for 5 years just to get 15 vacation days. That's some serious bull**** right there. This is why people hate their jobs and feel exploited. People should be able to do more with their lives than just work. Honestly.

I get 5 sick days that I never use, 20 vacation days, 5 personal days which I guess are just vacation days, and a bunch of holidays. I usually use all my vacation and personal days. I don't normally take week-long vacations instead a take a bunch of long weekends throughout the year.

I think everyone at my company gets the same amount of days unless you have been with the company less than a year then you get like 5 less vacation days I think.

A guy that's been here 39 years told me back in the 90's they got five weeks vacation a year and a pension. They eliminated the pension in the early 2000's and started outsourcing the driving to whatever company would do it the cheapest. They all lost their five weeks and had to go a year with 0 PTO days before "earning" their time back.

I don't see them trying to pull anything like that now with how desperate they are to hire people at least.

I agree people should have more to their lives besides work. Obviously things are getting worse all the time for the American worker and have been for decades now.

· Registered
3,242 Posts
^ It's insane to me that at your company you have to work for 5 years just to get 15 vacation days. That's some serious bull**** right there.
This. It's crazy that the first year you literally get nothing! And then work for 5 years just to get what most other companies give from day 1. These days, probably only 10% of people even survive at the same company for 5 years. Usually **** ends up going sideways somewhere along the way and you either bail, or they lay you off before you ever hit that milestone.

· Barbells and kittens
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This. It's crazy that the first year you literally get nothing! And then work for 5 years just to get what most other companies give from day 1. These days, probably only 10% of people even survive at the same company for 5 years. Usually **** ends up going sideways somewhere along the way and you either bail, or they lay you off before you ever hit that milestone.

I applied at Fedex Freight last year and they were seven years to get 15 PTO days. And the company I work for now is a very large company. I'd say most people would recognize it. I wonder if it's just an industry standard to have a poor PTO policy.

The office my wife works at they get 10 vacation days and earn 1 PTO day per month. Her last two jobs were at banks and they had the exact same policy. This is from day 1.

· Registered
19 Posts
I saw this article on Facebook awhile back that said in some countries PTO was considered a right and that's what got me thinking about this originally.
I'm originally from Denmark where employees are entitled to five weeks paid holiday per year. I was shocked when I moved to the US and heard about people not getting any PTO at all or only a few weeks. I sought employment in tech where the standards often are closer to the European ones I'm used to.

· Barbells and kittens
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm originally from Denmark where employees are entitled to five weeks paid holiday per year. I was shocked when I moved to the US and heard about people not getting any PTO at all or only a few weeks. I sought employment in tech where the standards often are closer to the European ones I'm used to.

It's not so much worker rights here, it's more like worker privileges if you're lucky enough to have them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts