Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
984 Posts
Yeah it's for insurance purposes, I know at least with regular doctors i've read they allow patients who don't have insurance a sliding scale and this is how they make up for the loss of profit. With all the debts they've incurred to pay for their degree a lot would tell you it's justified though. Not to say that there aren't doctors out there who scam the system and only care about money, but some do have their hearts in the right place even with the high finances. This dosen't say anything about therapy except as with everything in life you should research beforehand, there are bad psychologist like there are bad cooks, bad cops, bad teachers etc.

· Registered
984 Posts
Which some of us have the misfortune to always encounter, and when we do there is little that we can do about it. That's exactly the kind of situation I face every day until I became an adult. Age dost make a difference with social acceptance.

And yes it sucks because I'm not the type of person to enjoy influencing others to follow my point of view. With the "or else" added behind in most cases.
I think the main problem is that SA is such a new disorder and it isn't so well understood by many psychiatrist/psychologist. I'm not surprised many have had a bad experience, so did I but I don't take it out personally on the entire psychiatric profession. Most psychiatrist are used to dealing with people that have clinical depression, phobias, bipolar, schizophrenia etc things that are mainly treated with a pill.

Also a lot of these horror stories could be avoided if you seeked out references. You are paying them to help you after all.

· Registered
984 Posts
I didn't pay anyone - I was sent in against my will. And that I think is the problem.

If I'm going to cooperate with any procedure or investigation I must first know what is going on.
Yeah, you can't get better unless you want to. When my parents sent me to a psychologist he refused to treat me because I didn't want help. Of course I think it's a different matter if you are a danger to yourself or others though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.