Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the standard fee for seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist from your experience? From my experience, I have seen psychiatrists that have charged anywhere from $225 a session (and I'm not talking about the initial consultation) to $175. Psychologists or therapists have charged me anywhere from $125-165. Some of them see patients even past 6 or 7 in the evening. Damn, they must be rolling in cash. I just feel uncomfortable knowing that they are going to get paid (even if most of it is covered by insurance) that much money just to talk to me for 50 minutes and give me some advice. I swear, though, if I ever get over my SAD I might look into getting a private practice. Does it make anyone else uncomfortable that a therapist may not give a shi** about you because he/she is getting a fat check at the end of it. Does anyone have trouble getting the most out of their therapy because they feel they are getting fleeced and that all of this "therapy" is just a scam?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Agreed.
One psychiatrist I went too( this was when I was younger, and before I wisened up to their lucrative racket) spend and 45 mins of the 60 minute session running out of the room and talking to his secratary about other appointments and renovations.
The rest of his session was patronizing Bull****.
A good waste of about $150.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
Don't you guys think it'd be strange visiting a psychiatrist/psychologist who's younger than you are.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That's why I'm my own shrink!

Being a victim of a turbulent upbringing I can spot and diagnose most common issues and provide early warning as well as moral support. You don't get this from a shrink - a few years ago mine just sent me off to a mental institution without being able to give a diagnosis!

Thankfully, I was able to contact the local social services and I got out of there pronto after I gave her a quite detailed lecture on the failings of the mental health system - and yes, no one was able to give me any reason for my virtual imprisonment.

So if you're lucky enough to stumble on a support group or even, such forums, make use of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Speaking of incompetence, when I was young I was diagnosed with ADHD and they would have put me on amphetamines(because of my not paying attention in school), if not for a more intelligent doctor(he wasn't more experienced though) that saw this diagnosis was false, and I was just a typical hyperactive child.
The sad thing is many people take their doctors/psychiatrists word as law when they prescribe them with often unnecessary drugs, when some of them are just their sitting on their fat asses to dole out drugs, and have long lost their enthusiasm for the job.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yeah - I've come across some psychologists and psychiatrists who gave me the feeling that I was being scammed. This one psychiatrist in particular was very conspicuous about what her priority was - making $$$$$. When my mom and I first visited her office, she acted far too concerned about our insurance and financial issues - and then tried to rip off either our insurance company and/or us (it's been a long time, so I'm foggy on the details). And I remember being secretly unimpressed at the overly-simplistic, ultimately-useless "counseling" she was giving - and I was all of 18 (when an 18-year-old thinks you - a "highly-educated" medical school graduate - are being simplistic - well, that doesn't bode well).

She seemed like a woman who became a psychiatrist because it was an avenue to the lifestyle and "prestige" she craved - she wasn't devoted to providing quality mental health care as much as she was devoted to those paychecks!

My mom was livid at the experience - to the point of calling her a negative "nickname" (which was actually very similar to her real name) and talking about that infamous "scam artist" for years.

I had another psychiatrist who was emotionally "unaware" of herself to the point where she often seemed to let her own hangups overly-influence the way she dealt with me. (It's ironic that these psychiatrists and psychologists are supposed to be so adept at psychology - but they are not aware enough or in control enough of what's going on in their own heads to be able to put their "issues" aside and provide unbiased, fair, professional care.) Actually, I've had a few mental health care providers who seemed to be this way. So there have been times when I've walked out of offices feeling worse than I felt when I went in, or not feeling like I got a fair shake - but these people still collected their checks. (Although one time, when I let my psychiatrist know about how uncompassionately she treated me - she apparently agreed and gave me nearly a full-refund for that session.)

So yeah - for these reasons and other reasons - I feel like the whole thing can be a scam. But there are some quality mental health professionals out there.

·
Registered
794 Posts
That's why i'm so glad all my therapy is free care of our government.

·
Registered
585 Posts
when some of them are just their sitting on their fat asses to dole out drugs, and have long lost their enthusiasm for the job.
Word. I think some of these psychs were never really into it to begin with (they just wanted to comform to family expectations - or earn a "Dr." beside their name for the prestige and the money) - or they get burned-out. I think burnout is prevalent in the profession - especially among mental health professionals working in the public sector.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yeah it's for insurance purposes, I know at least with regular doctors i've read they allow patients who don't have insurance a sliding scale and this is how they make up for the loss of profit. With all the debts they've incurred to pay for their degree a lot would tell you it's justified though. Not to say that there aren't doctors out there who scam the system and only care about money, but some do have their hearts in the right place even with the high finances. This dosen't say anything about therapy except as with everything in life you should research beforehand, there are bad psychologist like there are bad cooks, bad cops, bad teachers etc.

·
Registered
315 Posts
there are bad psychologist like there are bad cooks, bad cops, bad teachers etc.
Which some of us have the misfortune to always encounter, and when we do there is little that we can do about it. That's exactly the kind of situation I face every day until I became an adult. Age dost make a difference with social acceptance.

And yes it sucks because I'm not the type of person to enjoy influencing others to follow my point of view. With the "or else" added behind in most cases.

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
I actually felt bad that the insurance had to pay for my psychiatrist 2 years ago. The first day I let her know my main issues. The following sessions she didn't acknowledge the anxiety or depression at all! She told me stories about her family. When I brought up my eating problem (had one back then) she said she couldn't help because she had one too. I decided not to keep going. Then she talked to my mom privately and said "I think she's hiding something and I want her to come back." Wtf. Yeah, I was hiding how bad I feel. Obviously the psych didn't give a damn.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That's exactly why I remove "qualified help" from the list of possible solutions if I encounter someone in need. Usually, they don't help at all.

Friends and family, even public social support operators, are far better choices for aid.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
depedning on the quality of the therapy the cost will reflect what you get out of the service. I see a psychiatrist who is old fashioned and does both pharmacology and therapy but charges $135 for 30 minutes and has a lot of experience dealing with certain problems. without psychiatry their would be probably be sick people in jails or out in the streets uncessarily suffering.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Which some of us have the misfortune to always encounter, and when we do there is little that we can do about it. That's exactly the kind of situation I face every day until I became an adult. Age dost make a difference with social acceptance.

And yes it sucks because I'm not the type of person to enjoy influencing others to follow my point of view. With the "or else" added behind in most cases.
I think the main problem is that SA is such a new disorder and it isn't so well understood by many psychiatrist/psychologist. I'm not surprised many have had a bad experience, so did I but I don't take it out personally on the entire psychiatric profession. Most psychiatrist are used to dealing with people that have clinical depression, phobias, bipolar, schizophrenia etc things that are mainly treated with a pill.

Also a lot of these horror stories could be avoided if you seeked out references. You are paying them to help you after all.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I didn't pay anyone - I was sent in against my will. And that I think is the problem.

If I'm going to cooperate with any procedure or investigation I must first know what is going on.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I didn't pay anyone - I was sent in against my will. And that I think is the problem.

If I'm going to cooperate with any procedure or investigation I must first know what is going on.
Yeah, you can't get better unless you want to. When my parents sent me to a psychologist he refused to treat me because I didn't want help. Of course I think it's a different matter if you are a danger to yourself or others though.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
My last job our Agency Psychiatrist was worthless. I would bring the clients that I dealt with that lived in the group homes into to see him every month. He sat at a desk facing the wall. He would never look at the client. He would ask him or her how they were sleeping and if the client said they were having trouble he would just up their med. The appointment took like 5 minutes. :lol I wish I could of made the money that he made. I had more impact on the clients life and was paid $6.25 per hour and worked 10-12 hours per day.

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
My last job our Agency Psychiatrist was worthless. I would bring the clients that I dealt with that lived in the group homes into to see him every month. He sat at a desk facing the wall. He would never look at the client. He would ask him or her how they were sleeping and if the client said they were having trouble he would just up their med. The appointment took like 5 minutes. :lol I wish I could of made the money that he made. I had more impact on the clients life and was paid $6.25 per hour and worked 10-12 hours per day.
Wow, that's all he did? At least you knew you were making a real difference at your job.

·
SAS Member
14,465 Posts
most doctors don't have passion for their work at all. I went to a few doctors and this one in particular wasn't even listening to me at all when i talked. All he did was nod and say mhm non stop. I bet if i had said "i screwed your mom" in a sentence, he would have said mhm :lol

this other doc told me after 30 min of me trying to explain my problems..."you look normal to me. why are you here?"
thats when i had the image in my head of me jumping over the desk and punching his damn lights out.

ah well. hopefully one day i get one that wants to help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What is the standard fee for seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist from your experience? From my experience, I have seen psychiatrists that have charged anywhere from $225 a session (and I'm not talking about the initial consultation) to $175. Psychologists or therapists have charged me anywhere from $125-165. Some of them see patients even past 6 or 7 in the evening. Damn, they must be rolling in cash. I just feel uncomfortable knowing that they are going to get paid (even if most of it is covered by insurance) that much money just to talk to me for 50 minutes and give me some advice. I swear, though, if I ever get over my SAD I might look into getting a private practice. Does it make anyone else uncomfortable that a therapist may not give a shi** about you because he/she is getting a fat check at the end of it. Does anyone have trouble getting the most out of their therapy because they feel they are getting fleeced and that all of this "therapy" is just a scam?
I've thought of that to be honest. I've never personally seen a psychologist but I've heard stories such as yours where the patient was patronized/was barely listened to and ended up having to give 200$$. It makes me wonder if when it's all done they laugh about it. Easiest money on earth.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts