Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am on day 6 of being off prozac and already feel my depression coming back. I need to make it 3 more weeks and don't know how this is going to be possible. I want to make the change and I want to go on nardil so this is my choice.

I was wondering if there are any "bridge" medication that can help me with the depression as I wait/washout from prozac? I can't take trazadone because it causes extreme anxiety/panic attacks.

·
Fighting demons!
767 Posts
Prozac doesn't cause depression. But define what " depression" is?

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
This really depends on your symptoms. Anxiety is usually well taken care of with a short term benzo course. I have gone off/on MAOI Parnate a few times, each time using long-acting benzos (i.e. clonazepam) as my only bridge med since it tames the anxiety.

Depression is difficult to pin down and if you took something that treated it - you might want to continue it while on Nardil (since it may not "kick in" for many weeks). Stuff you can take with Nardil:
-atypical antipsychotics
-trazodone in low dose, which you know is not successful for you, but is an option
-mirtazipine (Remeron)
-pregabalin/gabapentin (e.g. Lyrica)
-stimulants/modafinil
-bupropion (Wellbutrin)
-lithium

There's other stuff like Lamictal, thyroid augmentation, TCAs, but take a while to get it to work, if it does at all.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This really depends on your symptoms. Anxiety is usually well taken care of with a short term benzo course. I have gone off/on MAOI Parnate a few times, each time using long-acting benzos (i.e. clonazepam) as my only bridge med since it tames the anxiety.

Depression is difficult to pin down and if you took something that treated it - you might want to continue it while on Nardil (since it may not "kick in" for many weeks). Stuff you can take with Nardil:
-atypical antipsychotics
-trazodone in low dose, which you know is not successful for you, but is an option
-mirtazipine (Remeron)
-pregabalin/gabapentin (e.g. Lyrica)
-stimulants/modafinil
-bupropion (Wellbutrin)
-lithium

There's other stuff like Lamictal, thyroid augmentation, TCAs, but take a while to get it to work, if it does at all.
My biggest problem is depression. Its been 7 days off prozac and I can't eat and having a hard time functioning at work.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to go on paxil for a month then will make the switch to Nardil. I just can't deal with a long washout period. At least paxil will only have a two week washour period.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts