Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My psychiatrist at school put me on Prozac 20 mg for about 6 months and it didn't do anything for my social anxiety, or OCD for that matter. Now that I'm back home, I started seeing a new psychiatrist who prescribed me Klonopin (generic Clonazepam) 0.5 mg which I've been taking daily (i.e. nightly) for at least a week now, when I told him that the prozac wasn't working for my social anxiety. I know that the more "traditional" route is to try out a few more SSRI's before prescribing something like a benzo, but he put me on Klonopin right away, which kind of shocked me because I have read that doctors are very reluctant in prescribing these types of addictive medications which have withdrawal and tolerance issues. He said that SSRI's are unreliable, that my old psychiatrist didn't really understand what he was doing when he put me on Prozac, and that there are a lot of misconceptions about Klonopin.

I've read stories of people who wished they'd never have started on Klonopin because of the tolerance issues, and having to need more and more of it in order for it to work. Another issue I'm concerned about is that I'm more comfortable with something for the long term (like an SSRI), rather than a fast-acting benzo, because I have never had panic issues / panic attacks (i.e. the physical symptoms don't really bother me). It's more of a constant anxiety / worrying / self-consciousness about what other people think of me when in public or in a social context.

Another thing I'm worried about is the short-term memory loss I keep hearing about of Klonopin. Is this permanent? I am very wary of the negative cognitive impacts these types of medications may have on the brain. Are there any medications which don't have these issues?

What should I do? Should I find a new psychiatrist? What is the procedure to do this (since I was referred to the psychiatrist by my general physician)?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Well according to Prof. Stahl 1st- line is like SSRI or SNRI.. 2nd-line is beta-blocker, benzo or MAOI.

Apperently the Pdoc though since Fluoxetins effects its almost an SNRI that you have tried 1st-line... Which is nice if your'e young and don't want to get "stuck"...

It is a low dose of Klonopin and should not effect your memory or cognitive functions much... Could cause dependence...

But it is nice to have, alot of Drs wont prescribe them...

CBT-Therapy and maybe the SSRI Seroxat/Paroxetine feels better, has often som sexual side-effects though....

I would discuss this with you Pdoc, so you still have the Klonopin option avaible, but tell him you concerns...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kolonopin is a temporary fix. Taken daily it works for a very short time. I keep it in the house for bad days. I've been hearing good things about Zanex XR.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

·
Fighting demons!
767 Posts
It's crazy how different ppl are, just one pill of zoloft wiped out my social anxiety, and other negative feelings, emotions almost instantly, and this effect lasted for weeks. I just take 1 zoloft pill every month. I guess am lucky one am blessed. Thank god.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts