Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
still looking
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I went to see a psychiatrist for the first time today, my first step in fixing my really incapacitating anxiety, like i was nervous beyond belief but I made it through, and she has already prescribed 20mg prozac. I told her i was fine with that just so I would have the perscription, but really I wanted to think it through and gather some thoughts. My mom encouraged it as she said it was a real life changing choice for her to take it. Looking back on my childhood I have vivid memories of her anxiety attacks, although when I was a kid, I never could place a finger on what caused her the random distresses. But they were there. She used to get very irritated and scream and it made me cry and we would hug and I'd tell her it was ok, even though I wasn't really sure if she was ok.
Now she's definitely calmer, and I can tell she's alot happier with life, but regardless i still wonder if prozac is safe to take especially since I'm only 19 and she was 30 when she started.

Anxiety is really getting in the way of leading a socially stable life though, so I think it is worth trying but of course I've heard adverse horror stories about it's effects. any thoughts on taking prozac as a 19 year old?

Thankssss:|:|:blank:)

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I took Prozac for a few months and it was the best SSRI I had been on. It didn't do a whole lot for my anxiety, but lifted my mood and depression decently.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Been on it for fifteen years myself and I couldn't live without it. It made a noticeable difference in my anxiety and depression. I started taking it when I was about 20.

·
Registered
223 Posts
tried it for 4 weeks...horrific headaches and stiff necks...so bad i thought i had a serious problem and went to the ER.

Everyone takes meds differently.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Take Prozac and say good bye to orgasms. Anorgasmia is a very common side effect of it and other SSRIs.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
pro: low side effect profile, higly tolerable
con: not so effective antidepressant even at 40mg

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
tried it for 4 weeks...horrific headaches and stiff necks...so bad i thought i had a serious problem and went to the ER.

Everyone takes meds differently.
I had that problem with citalopram. Muscles would stay tight all the time. Even when laying down, it felt like my muscles were flexing. I finally understand what people are talking about when they say they need a massage or they need to sit in a bath tub to relax. Life must really suck for the people who are stiff like that without drugs.

I have nothing but positive things to say about generic Prozac. I feel less crazy. I don't procrastinate as much. Things feel softer. Music sounds a bit better. My cat acts nicer around me.
You'll know within 1 week if this drug is any good. I felt much better almost immediately. I gave one to my gf and she went slightly manic for a few days. Some people do great on some drugs, and some people go nuts and shoot up schools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts