Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a pretty long rant so I apologize. If you want you can skip it, the question is at the bottom, this is just background info with details

I started taking Inderall 2 days ago to relieve the physical symptoms (hands shaking, fast heart beat, quivering/shaky voice, blushing) I've been experiencing which heighten my anxiety. The first day I took 20 mg about 30 minutes before class and that did absolutely nothing - someone turned around to hand me a paper the teacher was passing out and I was embarrassed to see the paper shaking in my hands as I took it. About an hour later I took another 20 mg, this time an hour before my next class. Mentally there was hardly any anxiety all but I feel like this could've been due to the atmosphere of the class which was really laid back. My voice wasn't as shaky as it usually is but it was still there.

Today(Tuesday) was my 2nd day. I had a large class(100 people) so I realized the possibility of me being called on was slim to none so I decided to forgo the smaller dose and save it for later b/c I knew I would be really anxious for my next class. My next class was with a teacher I had taken a course from before. In that class on the first day she had us introduce another person in the class, the feelings of anxiety and my memory of that moment is still burned into my mind lol So I had the feeling she would do the same for this class. I took 40 mg an hour before class and sat in the back of the class and was feeling moderately comfortable. I went over the syllabus and when I realized there were no presentations it felt like the happiest moment of my life. I assumed that the Inderall had kicked in and was responsible for my lack of anxiety (I was wrong). Teach split us up into groups for a future project, had us switch seats, I ended up having to move smack dab in the middle of the class....and then she said it was time for introductions. That's when I realized the Inderall was probably not working as planned because I could feel my heart pounding out of control. Another person in the group saved my life and introduced all 3 of us but I was really disappointed w/ the results of the Inderall.

Now to the million $ question. Early in the summer I checked my blood pressure and it was 117/62. Later in the summer I checked it again and it was 133/70-something. A couple days ago I checked my blood pressure and it was 140-something/at least 80. This was right after I had returned to school and was feeling very nervous. Unfortunately, this is how all I feel almost all of the time now that I'm back in school. I'm wondering if anybody thinks that a higher dose might be needed ? Or your own experiences w/ higher doses? Thanks and I appreciate all responses:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
dont know inderral seems not working for me also, i took once seems like 5-6 tablets 40mg and didnt feel even a small change.

·
Banned
232 Posts
regardless of what dose the doc prescribes we should always find the usual effective dose range for a med
for inderal its 160 to 240 a day so your doses were all too small:no

work up to about 240 at home over a few days to check for side effects such as too low BP, I also think a benzo would help to calm the mind, inderal of course only calms the body

Inderal made me dizzy but another B blocker, pindolol suited me much better and I take it both for high BP and anxiety

when panicky, relax and avoid tensing up and do breathe deep and slow, also look at peoples faces and eyes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Inderal controls all my physical symptoms of anxiety at 20-40mg for 3-6 hours. I have taken up to 80mg, but I get the same effect as taking 20-40mg. I have never experimented below 20mg.

Inderal by design does not help mental anxiety, but as a result of the physical control it provides, it actually does help my mental anxiety. It controls the adreneline produced during the flight or flight response. I love the drug.

If it doesn't work for you; it could be that increased adreneline production is not your issue. Hope this helps... good luck.

·
Registered
603 Posts
When I have to present something, or have a meeting that I really want my ish together for, I'll take 20 mg a little over an hour before and another 40 mg about a half hour before. Any more than that, even over the course of the day, and I start feeling a little weird. Disconnected-like.

Inderal is the only thing that's ever worked for me. Only complaint is I wish it cleared out of your system a little quicker, it's difficult for me work out for about 8 hours after taking it.

I'd warn against following dosage on this site. 240 is pushing it from what I've heard, if you don't have hbp.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Propranolol with a Benzo can be quite a nice mix. Propranolol on it's own is quite weak for me as my anxiety is as much mental based as it is physical.

I also suffered from OCD and paranoia but Effexor XR has worked wonders for that.

But that is my cocktail, benzo, Effexor XR and Propranalol.

It does a marvelous job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Propranolol didn't do anything for me either. My doctor prescribed it and said it would help with the anxiety I felt in work meetings. I took it for a couple weeks as directed and it made no difference for me. :no

She also prescribed me alprazolam to help me sleep, which definitely made a difference with anxiety.. Of course she doesn't like to prescribe it though and said it is not a solution. She told me it is only for occasional use, not daily use.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, ......I only use benzos PRN. That way I don't built tolerance. I've been on them for 6 years. I experience NO withdrawals when I take breaks. Also never had to up my dosage.

......and as it is on my records that I have been taking them for 6 years with no problems that is how I now have a repeat prescription. It's all about building up trust with your psychiatrist.

I am content that I will be on these drugs for the rest of my life. It makes my quality of life so much better. So my pdoc has no qualms with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really hope this drug works for me.
Me too.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I took some Benzos about a year back but the doctor only had me on them for a week or two before making a decision about whether or not I should stay on or get off. Had some nasty side effects with one of them, forget what it was but I do remember taking Lexapro and Klonopin(?) I think it was. Also had a prescription for Xanax which was ok, nothing I'm going to ask for again though.

Anyway I just took 80mg for class that starts in an hour. I'll update later tonight, wish me luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, good luck tonight! I hope it works for you... I just spoke to my psych and she said since mine didn't have any effect, that I probably didn't take enough. She suggested I take two next time and see how I do...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to disappoint, but 80 mg didn't do it for me:afr

But 120 did today! :eek: The teacher had us introduce ourselves and I felt great doing it, it sounded like I might have slurred my words but I don't think it was due to the Inderal. The mental aspect of the anxiety was much less noticeable but still present. I felt like I did when I was younger and I was just shy. I actually raised my hand twice in class which is something I can't remember ever doing in college and I'm sure the teacher was surprised as well since I've taken several courses with him and he's somewhat familiar with my anxiety. I still had to ignore my mental anxiety in order to raise my hand but it was a real victory for me today. Usually if I'm called on I feel like my voice is shaking, I'm blushing, etc and even when I give a correct answer I feel miserable, but not today.

You guys have no idea how relieved I am. I've got a presentation in this class so hopefully I can keep participating in class until I'm comfortable enough to do a presentation.

·
mmm... donuts
168 Posts
Congrats GroGam. :clap Keep on raising your hand in class. :)

In addition to adjusting your dosage, try adjusting when you take it. Sometimes it seems to take more than an hour to take effect, so I'm currently trying to take it 2 hours ahead of time. I can take 20mg in the morning and have some effects for the next 12 hours or so.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would say no to higher dose. I think that your anxiety is driven more consciously, and psychologically than it is by physical feedback (or subconscious cues which lead to them). In that case benzodiazapines are more effective, but doctors are usually reluctant to prescribe them right away. You'll probably need to ask for them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts