Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever been placed on Propanolol (Inderol) for their social anxiety? I went to a new doctor this week to be placed on meds again, and she's got me on a Prozac/Propanolol combo. Just wondering if it works and if anyone has had any side effects from it. I have normal BP, so I'm really concerned about passing out if the drugs lower it even more.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Has anyone ever been placed on Propanolol (Inderol) for their social anxiety? I went to a new doctor this week to be placed on meds again, and she's got me on a Prozac/Propanolol combo. Just wondering if it works and if anyone has had any side effects from it. I have normal BP, so I'm really concerned about passing out if the drugs lower it even more.
That's a beta-blocker. I am on metoprolol 12.5mg for my irregular heartbeats. I don't know if it helps my anxiety. I also take clonazepam (Klonopin) twice a day for anxiety and it has helped a great deal. I also get worried about low bp since mine is normal. Did you know you can look up online and find out what healthy bp is? It should have a little chart telling ideal bp. If it's much lower than optimal bp then tell your doctor or if you feel dizzy headed. Also if you have a thing to check your bp at home do it regularly. Sometimes drugstores have a place to check your bp for free. I'm pretty sure the doc will check your bp as often as you need to go in. They check mine all the time-both my mental health doctor and my gp doctor. I try not to worry. A small dose may not do much to hurt your bp. Do you know the amount of dosage you have been placed on?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If you have a normal BP and take a normal dose of Inderal it won't lower your BP soo much that you pass out. Just if you overdose or had a very low BP to begin with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'm on like the lowest dose possible - 10mg TID. My last BP was 124/80. I actually started taking it last night, and I haven't had a problem. I just hope it works :) Anxiety75, I was on Klonopin at one point in undergrad, and it worked to some extent, but I slept ALOT. I definitely wasn't myself, and I was tired all the time. That's why the docs are trying a beta-blocker instead this time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have 40mg propanaolol tablets, doesn't do anything except relieve physical symptoms in the cases where you have severe anxiety like a presentation or appointment/interview. It's totally different to clonazepam, personally I would have tried a stimulant like amphetamine with klonopin to stop you being sedated.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
One could also have played a little bit with the Klonopin doses or tried a less sedating benzodiazepine like Xanax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts