Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Don't cancel, you'll regret not going. Don't have any tips for standing in line but go and try to make the best of it. If it sucks at least it's only one night. People might talk about it for a copule days after but it'll all be forgotten pretty quickly. If you're going with a friend there shouldn't be too much pressure.

Have fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you should atleast try to go. If you can go late, then awesome, but if not, just go and make the best of it. You're going to be with a friend, so just focus on having fun with him and block out everyone else around. And if it doesn't work out, atleast you can say that you tried. That's definitely a step in the right direction. You'll regret it later if you don't try.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe you should bring something to distract you. I spent a large portion of my senior prom playing my GBA. Ah, Good Times. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did not go to my prom. It was tonight. I guess I didn't have anybody to go with, since I don't really hang out with a group of friends. If I really wanted to, I probably could have tried to latch on with some group, but I didn't want to go to prom anyway. And there was no way in hell I would go alone, and just show up and see what happens.

I felt pretty ashamed of myself tonight ("what is wrong with me, everyone goes to prom but me, etc.) but I'm OK now. My big issue relating to social anxiety is my fear of large gatherings, parties, dances, prom, etc. And since most people in high school do that kind of stuff, I'm left on my own.

I am with you on the standing in line part. If I went tonight, even with a group, I'd feel like my every move was being watched by the teacher chaperons and other kids, judging me for being uncomfortable. When I'm uncomfortable in a situation, I always feel like it's "all eyes on me."

·
Registered
59 Posts
My girlfriend is making me go. I would rather do ANYTHING else. Dancing makes little sense to me. I dont like music.. I dont like people (and they make me anxious). Argh. But anyways, I hope you have a better time than I will.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Umm you could go with your friend to the line and check it out first, but then if things get awkward tell your friend you have to go to the washrooms to fix your makeup or throw up <shrugs> or whatever* and for him to give you a call as he is about to reach the end of the line so you can get in.

*I dunno come up with a sensible excuse before the actual night.

I often do this same worrying and come up with all sorts of wierd/twisted/impractical ways I could avoid doing the actual task, but in the end I end up going.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I never went to my prom and I sorely regret it :/. I think you should definitely go and try to make the best out of it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
my prom was last night and i did go, everything was fine at the prom(except for the ride over there with my friends b****Y sister and jacka** cousin) and i even danced with my friends for awhile. all until.....the lights mysteriously went out because some student crashed into a light pole outside the front of our school and all the electricity went out!lol we were only there for about thirty minutes and then everyone had to evacuate the gym because it was all dark in there! so the rest of the prom was cancelled for the night, some prom that was! anyway, i hope u went to ur prom and had a blast:)

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,918 Posts
my prom was last night and i did go, everything was fine at the prom(except for the ride over there with my friends b****Y sister and jacka** cousin) and i even danced with my friends for awhile. all until.....the lights mysteriously went out because some student crashed into a light pole outside the front of our school and all the electricity went out!lol we were only there for about thirty minutes and then everyone had to evacuate the gym because it was all dark in there! so the rest of the prom was cancelled for the night, some prom that was! anyway, i hope u went to ur prom and had a blast:)
Wow, that's crazy. :eek: I hope your prom is rescheduled, that would suck if it wasn't.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.