Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever take (Fluphenazine) Prolixin?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Prolixin is some strong stuff. It's a typical antipsychotic that's about the same potency as Haldol (maybe even a little stronger), so about 2mg of Prolixin is equal to about 100mg of Thorazine in terms of dopamine blockade. If I'm remembering correctly, this is the main typical antipsychotic known for making people drool a lot. It does come in long-acting shots if you're bad about not taking your medication. I personally have never come across anyone on the net who is currently taken this stuff. If your psychiatrist is going into meds this old and potent, why hasn't he tried you on Haldol yet?

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey Korey, well my psychiatrist put me on Prolixin because I asked for a weight neutral antipsychotic.Im not sure about Haldol. Ive tried mostly atypical antipsychotics but theirs just too many side effects.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
The side effects are almost uniformly more severe with the typical antipsychotics.

Have you tried paliperidone (Invega)? It is probably the best atypical weight-neutral drug, although risperidone and ziprasidone can be good too. They don't really have the metabolic side effects that drugs like Seroquel and Zyprexa have, but I believe they have a bit more of a risk in terms of extra-pyramidal side effects and movement disorders. The typical antipsychotics are pretty much all worse in terms of these side effects though. It would really suck to end up with something like tardive dyskinesia.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried paliperidone (Invega)? It is probably the best atypical weight-neutral drug, although risperidone and ziprasidone can be good too.
I thought atypical antipsychotics all had a warning label for diabetes and hyperglycemia>? Ive never tried Invega but have taken risperidal(risperidone) generic kind. Its only difference is that it doesnt have the hydroxal group invega has.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts