Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· resident classicist
4,415 Posts
Not really.

I like Pink Floyd, but my favorite stuff by them was made when they were less proggy and more psychedelic (Piper, Saucerful, Relics).

· Registered
4,079 Posts
Are there any fans of this kind of music? Bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, Rush, King Crimson, The Mars Volta, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, etc?
I Don't really take much stock in the moniker "progressive rock". I don't think it's a genre as much as it was a musical trend within the 70's. I'm a big fan of Rush, but I don't consider them doing anything "prog-rock" since Hemispheres, and that was 30 years ago!

Generally, though, I like that kind of music--except dream theater because, from the stuff I've heard (and it's not all that much), they sound too much like Yes when they don't really have to. They're not part of the 70's.

· Registered
749 Posts
Are there any fans of this kind of music? Bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, Rush, King Crimson, The Mars Volta, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, etc?
I like some of Porcupine Tree's material. I'm a big fan of Dream Theater's Octavarium and especially Train of Thought. I haven't really checked out any of their older music or their latest album. John Petrucci is incredibly good with a guitar and Mike Portnoy is not too bad on the drums either.

I find some prog tends to get a bit pretentious and long-winded at times, but not all of it.

Also, is Tool progressive rock?

· Registered
71 Posts
I love Dream Theater! I'd have to say that Train of Thought is my favorite album by them. I only like older King Crimson, particularly the album Red. I also love Yes, but I hate everything they did in the 80's. I like Rush's instrumentals, but I can't stand Geddy Lee's voice! I like everything that Pink Floyd did in the 70's, not really a fan of thier stuff from the 60's, or 80's. Tool is absolutely great! And yes, I would consider them prog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.