Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh.. I procrastinate so completely badly, especially at work. Anyone else do this?

I have projects that just stress me out (programmer) and then I put them off and put them off. The more I put them off, the more stressed I get.

I also do this in personal life, especially when it comes to dealing with people. Like calling someone for any reason. I really hate the telephone. Like calling a person who I am really trying to be friends with, and want to go to the dog park with, but I swear that phone is gonna just burn me up.

I feel guilty this week at work I haven't done much, but I have a couple things I need to get done. I don't get into trouble about it... if I'm about to, I usually am able to snap into shape and get things going. But when I'm left to myself, I just drag my feet... Ugh.

Anyway, just had to talk about it. :con

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
Yeah, I procrastinate, too. I still haven't done my taxes. I've never had that problem with programming... it was things like documentation that I used to put off.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, I am a procrastinator. It has not always been as pronounced as it is now. When I was still working, I didn't do so much of it.

I also hate using the telephone. Answering it or making calls. And I hate it even more now that I have only a cell phone. Since my daughter and granddaughter both have cell phones, it did not make sense to spend the extra money for a land line which we did not need so we had it disconnected.

Back to procrastination:
I have a list of some things I think I might like to do but cannot muster the enthusiasm to get started on them. And they don't represent a great outlay of energy. Here are a few from my short list:

1. Wash hair (after two days, that's still not done. I hate washing my hair, taking a shower/bath, shaving my legs and underarms)

2. Set up my small shortwave receiver (started to do that yesterday and discovered I've misplaced the AC adaptor...didn't feel like searching for it)

3. Set up my new little sewing machine (and then what? Don't have any idea what I'd like to sew. Don't need or want anything. So why did I buy the machine? Don't know.)

4. Dust & vacuum my room (I did get the vacuuming done yesterday. That's it!!)

The other list:
1. several books I've told myself I'd like to read but I don't. Difficult to concentrate.
2. work on my website. This has been ongoing for two or three years. It has never seen the light of day. It has been completed and tweaked numerous times. It still only lives on my hard drive. I always think: Who would be interested in this?? And then the answer comes to me: Nobody.
3. Learn a new language (and then I think, For what reason?)

Seems like my problem is a complete 'lack of enthusiasm'. My thinking is "Ultimately, nothing matters." Nothing seems worthwhile.

And that, dear friends, is depression.

This may give you a laugh. It gave me one when I first saw it.

Procrastinator's To Do List:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well i don't really think of it as procrastination when i have other things to do - right?

I still haven't put the finishing touches on the main floor of my house - its only me that has to deal with it

Haven't done my own businesses books for a while.

I'll get to it - someday

·
Registered
13 Posts
Being a programmer too, I can totally relate. I procrastinate projects all the time. Usually it's when I'm expected to produce something that I've never done before. Don't ya just love it when they ask you for an estimate on how long its going to take you to do it? I don't know about you but I usually only get the vaguest of descriptions when it comes to requirements. I then have to go back and forth with the customer via phone or email to try to nail things down. This is the part that I dread the most. My SA is usually raging and I'm stumbling all over myself to try get out what I need to say. Seems like no matter how well I document the requirements, the finished product is never exactly what they want. Sorry to rant, but I wish they would just give me a list of requirements and let me write code.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
I was going to post but thought that I'd wait til tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Amocholes said:
I was going to post but thought that I'd wait til tomorrow.
:lol That's a good one!

I procrastinate too: especially about finances. My motto is: why do today what you could put off until tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yup--I am a major procrastinator. I do designs for a small herbal co. in NH and I am always very late with them. The owner has learned to tell me about the designs she wants several months in advance. Clever. My apt is a mess and I keep putting off housework--here I am at the computor--lol. oh yes--and getting a life-I keep procrastinating about that too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes... I'm also a procrastinator. I put off the usual things such as household tasks (cleaning, home improvement, etc) but I also have been procrastinating on major things like going back into counseling and possibly going back on medication. I love to read but I procrastinate reading books that may possibly be helpful (books on SA and anxiety...I've bought a few but can't seem to make myself read more than half the book). It's bad...I want to get better but don't seem to be able to make myself do the necessary work involved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am an awful procrastinator. My biggest problem is with routine household chores. I just can't seem to motivate myself for the ordinary and mundane.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I completely relate! Yup for sure it's a pain. I really hate the phone/emailing people to work out what they want. I am designing forms and will be doing this in the next couple of weeks. My chest just gets tight when I have to do all that communicating with people. Ugh.

But most of the time I love being a programmer, and working with the computer. :)

TriodeGuy said:
Being a programmer too, I can totally relate. I procrastinate projects all the time. Usually it's when I'm expected to produce something that I've never done before. Don't ya just love it when they ask you for an estimate on how long its going to take you to do it? I don't know about you but I usually only get the vaguest of descriptions when it comes to requirements. I then have to go back and forth with the customer via phone or email to try to nail things down. This is the part that I dread the most. My SA is usually raging and I'm stumbling all over myself to try get out what I need to say. Seems like no matter how well I document the requirements, the finished product is never exactly what they want. Sorry to rant, but I wish they would just give me a list of requirements and let me write code.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Major procrastinator here. I have two freelance web designs and a bit of database work which is a lot of money, but I don't want to do it. I hate e-mail, even though its an integral part of my work.

I'm afraid I'll lose (or already lost) my clients. Ugh.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been a procrastinator as long as I can remember, even back to elementary school - back in the days of the dinosaurs.

And it involved everything in my life as far as I can remember... but it's much worse now, and the depressions are worse too. I guess if I want to be honest with myself, it didn't include the care of my children, they came first. But it did include if I was involved in taking them somewhere, a special event, something I needed to do for them for school... anything that involved me doing something and involved something or someone other than just them.

I can relate to most of what all of you have said.

I haven't worked for almost 21 years, but I've wanted to start a business from home for more than 5 years. I had a great idea for something I thought would do very well, but within the last couple of months, I've discovered that now others have had this great idea too and it's no longer unique. I knew that was going to happen if I drug my feet long enough. I know I sometimes set myself up for failure.

I finally took my sewing machine in to be cleaned and tuned (after about a year of putting it off) but that was almost a year ago now, my mother gave me her serger (but I was scared of it and it took me 8 months to decided to figure it out, just looking at how it was threaded and giving it a try... all the while I'm buying every book I can find on sergers 'just in case' I run into problems somewhere along the line), I talked to my father's attny last year sometime to find out what was required for starting a cottage industry, but I didn't know what to ask him so of course stuttered and stammered around and didn't get much info. I want to see how it goes selling things on eBay but I get confused so easily that I can't even bring myself to read what all is required in order to do that.

I think some of my procrastination is because I'm very afraid of commitment and afraid I'll make a mistake. I'm extremely limited on resources (money) so if I make a mistake, I may not be able to replace or fix it.

I had a "friend" for a couple of months that told me she built computers for a living and was in charge of maintaining the computers where she worked. She told me she'd help me buy the components for a new computer and put it together for me. I had only intended to go look and see what was available, make my choices and buy them when I was ready... the day we went, I ended up bringing home close to $1,200 worth of stuff - there went a very large portion of my funds (my computer had broken down and I wanted to replace it anyway- it had already been in the shop about 4 times). It's almost impossible for me to tell people no or that I don't want to do something, or have a different idea about how I want things to go. It was my fault, not her's.

That was in Sept. I thought Ok... I've bit the bullet, I'm committed. But then she ran into trouble putting it together... kept the manuals so she could call the companies and sent everything else home with me. A month went by and she finally said she had the answers, but by then I was in a depression and couldn't continue with things, then she was, and it went on like that for several months.

Another friend ended up putting it together for me without the manuals in March. Mistakes can be very expensive. The friend that put it together for me talked me into getting Windows XP Home, when I'd wanted the Prof., but I'd forgotten by then why I wanted the Prof. :doh It wasn't his fault I couldn't remember.

I want a 3-in-1 printer, and I've researched them several times, but I'm afraid to commit to buying one - and then I keep forgetting what I found out when I did the research. I want a digital camera, but I don't know which of the ones that are on the cheaper side would do the job I want... so I put it off. There are other things too, but it's been so long I can't even remember what they are.

I've known for quite a while (like 4 years) that once I applied for SSDI, I'd at some point need an attny. I've been at the 'need an attny' stage for almost a year now and can't bring myself to make the calls. I've never had much success with hiring people that will do a proper job and I'm really afraid I'll make a mistake again.

I love getting emails, but I hate answering, I hate the phone, I can only rarely go out. But I don't like this solitary life either. I started a book recently (something about why bad things happen to good people that my C recommended) but put it down and now I have no idea where it's at.

This procrastination extends to every area of my life, but I think, for me, a lot of it has to do with fear of failing... the personal things and housekeeping stuff I think has to do with depression and not caring as much as I used to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sometimes wonder if my procrastination is just me being lazy or related to the disorder. Do I put off certain things because I don't want to interact or is it simply laziness?
When you live with SA long enough, every thing you do gets call into question by your mind. Other people can just goof off and think, "so I was lazy today." I goof off and think, "am I goofing off out of fear?"

·
Registered
274 Posts
I managed in about 15 minutes to put the head-board to my bed back on. It has been leaned against the wall in the bed-room for over a year and through two moves. I just thought I wouldn't be able to do it, that the screws I had would be the wrong ones...and it was so-o-o-easy and I am so-o happy....that the headboard is not standing around in the way. I haven't done my taxes for the past two years and could probably get money back it I did them, but I have procrastinated so long now I feel criminal and will just have to go turn myself in sometime...I just moved and have to admit I have managed to toss out a bunch of junk, sort through stuff and organize it so it can sit in a box, nicely organized for the next ten years, never to be paid attention to or needed. I watch the people fleeing their homes because of hurricanes and feel embarassed. What is important? I have kept every letter from any friend or family member since 1968, not that it doesn't all fit into one big box, but what for? Sometimes I think I could use a natural disaster to put my perspectives back in order of precedence (sp?). I pick up things from my desk that do not belong there and carry them around the house for awhile and eventually put them down, usually on the coffee table in front of the couch or on the kitchen table and after a couple of weeks I find them lying back on my desk again, so give up. I am forgetful to the point I fear I probably am Alzheimer-affected, but if so, who cares? I certainly won't. Alzheimer's sounds so bizarre. If you have it, you are no longer lucid to make decisions for yourself which includes taking your own life, which for all intent and purposes is already gone. You just become like a pet if you are lucky and someone can keep you and take care of you, or like an animal in an animal shelter if you end up in a home. Maybe they should start an "adopt an Alzheimer" program. I am just rambling now, what was the topic again?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts