Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Weight Of The World
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 26 yr old male
Recovering alcoholic about 80 days sober now.
I am completely honest with the physician I see, (not psychiatrist) I cannot afford one. She is aware of my alcoholism, I tried to stres to her that I drink when my anxiety flares up or panic attack, She insists on not prescribing me any benzo, I do understand, She put me on prozac which I feel nothing, even after 2 months of taking it, I stress to her that I get Severe temptation when under panic to drink, I have been able to fight it, but ride it out and feel miserable. I am tired of feeling miserable due to a panic attack when it comes, I have taken diazepam and attivan and it stopped the panic short somewhat, And I told her this. She thinks I am drug seeking.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I think you could do well on the drug Baclofen (Lioresal). It's a GABA-B agonist normally prescribed for people with spastics. But it has proven to help people control their alcohol cravings and lessen anxiety. It should be taken three times daily (eg. 10mg) and can perfectly be combined with an SSRI. You could change from Prozac to a better SSRI like Lexapro (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_74676.html).

·
Banned
642 Posts
Thats why "honesty is NOT the best policy". If you manage to get a Benzo just try to be careful. I have a dear dear dear friend recovering from alcoholism (9 months) and he says it can be very easy to slip into dependence of another drug.

Just be careful

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.