Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the biggest problems I am having right now is conversation. It’s been a while since I have been in any sort of social situation and it’s hard for me to engage in small talk.

When I try to talk to my co-workers, it feels like they talk so fast. It’s like watching a ball bounce around in a pinball machine. Before I have time to come up with a response, they’re on to the next topic. Sometimes I don’t even have a response, until I replay the conversation in my head hours later. Conversations that I practice in my head don’t ever end up the way I expect them to in reality. It’s frustrating because the topics are always so random and unpredictable, but I’m guessing that’s just the nature of conversation, one topic will often end up on an entirely different one.

It also doesn't help that I’m used to repressing everything, including memories. I began to notice that they almost always bring up experiences that way. It’s always: “Oh, I had a friend who..” and “I remember when..” and “My brother does…” I’m trying to learn how to share things that happen(ed) to me, but doing it in a way that will become natural. I feel stilted when I try to copy how they share experiences and do it at the same speed that they do it at.

I think I might be pushing myself too hard, I've reduced my hours just so that I don't have to spend so much time struggling with this every day, because I feel awful when I can't reach the goals that I want.

I know that getting out and doing things might help, even if I have no one to do them with right now.

Has any one experienced this and found a way to get better at it? Are there any practice techniques?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can relate to what you are saying. I think the problem is that most people say the first thing that comes to they're mind when conversing while a person with sa has much more of a filter over what they say, so a person with sa spends more time thinking about what to say. I honestly don't know what to do about this though since I have this problem on a regular basis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts