Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of trouble describing stuff, and lately I've been noticing it's only getting worse. I'll do my best to explain it to you but I'm not promising it will be too helpful, lol. It's my biggest problem as far as this website goes, since that's basically all it is is describing your SA encounters.

When I'm telling someone a story my mind gets stuck on every single detail.. Like I have to describe everything; why I was doing what I was doing, what had happened to lead up to the event,etc. I feel like the person wants to know every detail, but they definitely don't. They just want the need to know stuff. So by the time I get to the point of my story, whoever I'm talking to fallen off my path of thought and lost interest. I realize I've done it only after it's been done and it irritates me so much, I can only imagine what the poor souls who have to speak to me think. "She's so weird! Why do I talk to her? Why did I need to know that? Ok, no more talking to her."

Does this make any sense? Does anyone else have this problem? I think it might be something other then SA because this it doesn't really sound like an anxiety thing, but I don't know. Just thought I would ask.

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
Hmm. This is a tough one, indeed. Maybe you can answer some of my questions throughout this.

First off, maybe it's a need to justify your every action. To give them your point of view because you fear they might view you as a bad person. For instance, "I stole some food from a store" sounds a lot worse than "My dad was passed out, and I had the keys. My brother was hungry, but we were broke. I had no choice but to steal." You see where I'm going? While a little detail isn't bad, to a perfect stranger, it may seem a bit odd to get such insight, and their likely to judge if they're that kind of person. If you use my example, right off the bat they could judge that 1) Your parent is unreliable, 2) You're a criminal and 3) Your family is not financially reliable. (Is this what's going on? You fear judgement?)

Another cause of this could be maybe, (Do you socialize much) you don't get much social interaction, so when you do talk, it trails off topic because you want to take in these social interaction, and talk as much as you can. This can be solved by allowing sufficent time for each member of the conversation to talk, but don't let yourself be left out. Voice your opinion, be heard, but only when everyone else has stopped talking for a brief second.

The only other problem I could possibly see this being is you want them to feel like they've experienced it, too. You want someone else to be through what you have. This, alone, isn't bad. I mean, everyone would love to have someone to relate to. (What types of stories do you tell people? Good, bad, sad, tragic, happy?) Maybe you need to focus on the story as a whole, instead of bits and pieces. If you tell them you walked through a park, but this has nothing to do with the main point, is there a reason to mention you almost tripped and fell, or saw an animal dying, or any other random event? Probably not. Unless it directly affects the point of the story, it's likely not to be mentioned. On the other hand, if you're good at detail, you could consider a career as a writer, because detail is necessary for the reader to fully understand what's going on, why, and how.

Hit me back with some answers, and I'll see if I can help any further.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I have a lot of trouble describing stuff, and lately I've been noticing it's only getting worse. I'll do my best to explain it to you but I'm not promising it will be too helpful, lol. It's my biggest problem as far as this website goes, since that's basically all it is is describing your SA encounters.

When I'm telling someone a story my mind gets stuck on every single detail.. Like I have to describe everything; why I was doing what I was doing, what had happened to lead up to the event,etc. I feel like the person wants to know every detail, but they definitely don't. They just want the need to know stuff. So by the time I get to the point of my story, whoever I'm talking to fallen off my path of thought and lost interest. I realize I've done it only after it's been done and it irritates me so much, I can only imagine what the poor souls who have to speak to me think. "She's so weird! Why do I talk to her? Why did I need to know that? Ok, no more talking to her."
Yeah you make a lot of sense to me, I have the same exact issue with adding in details that may not be necessary but that i feel I have to include, that are somehow essential to the message-you explained this actually better than I did in my post to this thread which is talking about what you're talking about: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com...eel-overwhelmed-with-what-you-feel-you-66496/

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Oh my gosh -- I do that too, the who, what, why, where, when, how and what came before, how I felt and what do you think syndrome I call it. I know my boyfriend really hates it... well, I'm sure he must. It makes every email or letter or story I tell incredibly long and I am sure annoying to anyone who has to endure it but it just feels necessary - like it is all part of what I am trying to say.

Wow, I thought that was just me or just a girl thing or just me... did I already say that lol?

Thanks for everything.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Does this make any sense? Does anyone else have this problem? I think it might be something other then SA because this it doesn't really sound like an anxiety thing, but I don't know. Just thought I would ask.
I don't do this myself, but I have a friend who does. Listening to her trying to recount an anecdote can be a painful experience, as she diverts off at tangents every 30 seconds. I'm sometimes tempted to say "Can you please just get to the point of the story!", but I don't because she's a friend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm the opposite, everything makes sense in my head but when I try to explain it to someone it all comes out wrong and I get muddled. I find it hard to lay out the thoughts in my head in any kind of logical order so I often rush through explanations because I'm getting embarassed and end up leaving out important details so it makes no sense to the person I'm trying to explain it to. Sometimes it's better to be detailed!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I often have problems trying to explain stuff. I tend to feel the need to explain every little detail. This is something i know i shouldn't do - people have got annoyed with me for doing this and for taking too long to get to the point. I don't mean to but i can't seem to help it :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts